Udella&Wiz

Why all the fuss about the 2010 Census

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just curious... Why do you feel that way? Do you care to elaborate?

Me thinks a troll has wandered in...

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Filled ours right away too! I already posted on the OT thread -- hubby refuses to fill it out... wanted to put his name as Mickey Mouse :P He is crazy, I swear. I guess for some folks (like my crazy redhead) just think its intrusive. I told him that Homeland Security already has a shoe box full of our information, considering I have given everything except DNA samples to them, when immigrating.

I was happy to fill it out though and got really lucky cause we got the short form! :)

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

What's interesting about a census vs. no census debate is that it's not just for current matters that it serves purpose but it makes for a fascinating record of trends of all kinds for future generations. Anyone who's ever done any genealogy will know exactly what I'm talking about.

It was through the 1891, 1901 and 1911 UK censi (?) that we discovered that my paternal great grandfather had actually had 3 wives, not 2 that we knew of. The first 2 had died and the 3rd wife was widowed when he passed. My father's mother was the last born of the 3rd wife, he'd been extremely successful as the local stone mason but there'd always been this story about someone accusing my paternal grandmother of 'stealing' the family money. Turns out that it was the son of his 2nd wife who objected to the children of the 3rd wife inheriting the estate.

I also was able to learn that I lost a great uncle in WWI, who'd gone to war with his brother both as medics. Thanks to census-talking, I have been able to map the journeys of both sides of my family either from Ireland in the early 1800s or way back to where we were servants of the Knights Templar.

At first I was disappointed that US census is happening now, because we'll have just 'missed' it. But I realised that with the UK one happening next year, my future generations will be able to work out nearly to the quarter when we emigrated. The fact that we've missed the US census means that we must have still been in the UK and the fact that we're not on the UK census (that is usually in January) means we must have left before it was taken. It's fun to think that we're leaving a kind of mystery for them to uncover, because it's really good fun discovering these things!

I also like the fact that my daughter, who's classed as 'mixed white British/ African' here will start showing a gradual trend towards more inter-racial relationships. It irks the ####### out of me that she'll be considered 'black' in the US, except that she'll have access to all kinds of scholarships and grants that she otherwise wouldn't!

Capturing income/ employment information is also interesting to look back on generations down the line. I've always wondered if any of my maternal ancestors worked on the Titanic, since they were ship-riveters in Liverpool and Newcastle. It's neat to be able to figure out that my grandfather didn't get called to draft in WWII because he was a school teacher.

It's also a really important piece of information for broader historical and sociological learning. How else did they reliably know the real figures of Holocaust deaths, if it weren't for census-taking?

In short, I really fail to understand why people are so anti-census taking. It's a way of leaving a bit of our legacy for future generations.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline

Yes my brother in law is not going to fill his out by the sounds of it. I don't get the whole I am not giving them information, like they don't already have it, geez. I did ours and it went in the mail today - short form. I agree it is only hurting your community by not doing it.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

We got ours last week and it was just opened today.

We got the short one, I got to fill in my own spot!

I'd love to see one of the long ones though, I actually like filling stuff out like this, I don't know why :lol:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

We got ours last week and it was just opened today.

We got the short one, I got to fill in my own spot!

I'd love to see one of the long ones though, I actually like filling stuff out like this, I don't know why :lol:

Because you love yourself that's why

I am the same way.

I also like filling out online quizzes to see what kind of psychopath I am or something...

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes, got ours earlier this week and returned it the next day.

Now, that I find interesting, and that's as politely as I can phrase it.

The form we received asks specifically how many people lived in the household as of April 1, 2010. If you, Kathryn, or anybody for that matter, mailed in their form with a number assigned to that question, I wonder how you were able to establish an event that has not happened yet, as it is assigned to a date of the future.

Either one takes the Census seriously, which would imply a simple inability to mail it back before April 1, 2010, or one thinks it's a bunch of BS and a waste of taxpayers' money, which would imply one could fill in anything, claim to be an Pacific Islander of some form, and so on. Who really cares.

What is impossible, however, is to have mailed it back already, and to take it seriously, as it is impossible to have answered the questions truthfully and have mailed it back at this point in time.

Seriously.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Now, that I find interesting, and that's as politely as I can phrase it.

The form we received asks specifically how many people lived in the household as of April 1, 2010. If you, Kathryn, or anybody for that matter, mailed in their form with a number assigned to that question, I wonder how you were able to establish an event that has not happened yet, as it is assigned to a date of the future.

Either one takes the Census seriously, which would imply a simple inability to mail it back before April 1, 2010, or one thinks it's a bunch of BS and a waste of taxpayers' money, which would imply one could fill in anything, claim to be an Pacific Islander of some form, and so on. Who really cares.

What is impossible, however, is to have mailed it back already, and to take it seriously, as it is impossible to have answered the questions truthfully and have mailed it back at this point in time.

Seriously.

I'm going to assume most people will know exactly how many people will be in their house in 2 weeks, unless they are pregnany and expecting sometime really soon, or if something unfortunate should happen, and therefore they can fill it out and send it out ahead of time based on the knowledge that random people aren't going to suddenly be living in their closets.

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Yeah no kidding. It's actually pretty easy to predict how many people will be living in your house in the next two weeks. When your entire family lives in another country, you're not pregnant, and you really don't like any of your friends that much, who would be moving in? Maybe a dog, but apparently they don't count. But, I guess I just don't take it seriously...

On a less crabby note, there's a short version and a long version? What's the difference? And don't say one is short and one is long :P

Timeline

The long version has a lot more questions that are more specific...couldnt tell you exactly what as I've never had one.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

I'm going to assume most people will know exactly how many people will be in their house in 2 weeks, unless they are pregnany and expecting sometime really soon, or if something unfortunate should happen, and therefore they can fill it out and send it out ahead of time based on the knowledge that random people aren't going to suddenly be living in their closets.

:lol: that's good Danu!!

I filled out ours, didn't take long at all. We got the short form too. And in 10 years, should we both still be alive..the answers will be the same...(except the age part...) :lol:

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline

:lol: that's good Danu!!

I filled out ours, didn't take long at all. We got the short form too. And in 10 years, should we both still be alive..the answers will be the same...(except the age part...) :lol:

:thumbs: I actually think it pretty funny if you don't know who is going to be there in two weeks... OMG a leprochaun! Where did he come from? now my census is all wrong. Damn.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I still haven't received my US 2010 Census form yet, and more likely than not, I'll never get one... :unsure:

Which is fine by me..... :whistle:

Are we supposed to get them by mail? And if so, when should I expect such?

I did though look this up online, as I kind of wondered what all the fuss was about...

Too bad the didn't have an online option instead....

Interesting set of questions....Didn't see too many problems with...

Except for the "race" question...

Oh come on, does it really matter what one's race is?

Seems like discrimination here....:angry:

No surprise really, as pretty much everything in the USA requires the "race" question.. :wacko:

Lol..To this, I have taken many approaches to answering such.... :whistle:

For example, this is what happened during my N-400 interview.....

IO: (looks at the ‘race’ section of the application form, sort of perplexed that I have checked of multiple boxes, and included my own box that says ‘prefer not to answer/discriminatory question’ (they did not have such a box, so I drew one up...lol..), but checkmarks those sections anyways...lol…”I’m multiracial”, I like to say…;)...)

Hmm..I wonder how I will fill out the form when/if I ever get such....

I wonder too, how my son will fill out such a form someday...(yes, he's multi-racial too...)

I like the idea someone else posted earlier about filling it out as A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N!

Anyways, good luck to all filing out the US Census forms....:) Happy form-filling, everyone!

Ant

P.S. I don't understand either, as to why the government wastes so much money promoting such forms...That money could have been put to better use, instead of for cheesy advertising campaign. Use it in the community right away instead of waiting for the forms to come back to decide what to do with the money!

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

:thumbs: I actually think it pretty funny if you don't know who is going to be there in two weeks... OMG a leprochaun! Where did he come from? now my census is all wrong. Damn.

HAHA OMG! :rofl:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

Danu, send that leprochaun to my house (after April 1 since I didn't count him in our census)

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.