dpmusic

DS-230 when your spouse is in USA as tourist??

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi all,

We screwed up the order of a lot of things for immigration, and it turned out that, although my wife was in the US on a tourist visa, we decided with a lawyer that our best option was to apply for an immigrant visa, have her go back to Poland when her 6-month tourist stay expired, and interview for an immigrant visa there before reentering on that visa. She's still in the US on her 6 month stay as a tourist, but the immigration application process has gotten to the point that it's time for us to send in a DS-230.

One of the questions on the DS-230 asks about the starting and ending dates of previous stays in the US. Since she's in the middle of one of those stays, what do we say? Do we leave the ending date blank, fill it in with her expected ending date, or just write "present" in the box?

Thanks so much!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Dominica
Timeline

Hi all,

We screwed up the order of a lot of things for immigration, and it turned out that, although my wife was in the US on a tourist visa, we decided with a lawyer that our best option was to apply for an immigrant visa, have her go back to Poland when her 6-month tourist stay expired, and interview for an immigrant visa there before reentering on that visa. She's still in the US on her 6 month stay as a tourist, but the immigration application process has gotten to the point that it's time for us to send in a DS-230.

One of the questions on the DS-230 asks about the starting and ending dates of previous stays in the US. Since she's in the middle of one of those stays, what do we say? Do we leave the ending date blank, fill it in with her expected ending date, or just write "present" in the box?

Thanks so much!

I'm in the same boat with you. My husband and I are getting ready to ship off his DS-230 probably next week Tuesday.

To answer your question: I think that you would just state the date that she arrived in the US and then put "present" in the place where you would put the date that she left. If you feel like you have to explain why you put present, you can always attach a letter stating that she is currently on a different visa. MAKE SURE THAT THE VISA IS CURRENT AND HASN'T EXPIRED.

When your case is complete, they'll send it to the appropriate consulate where you will have your interview. If they approve her visa application, I think they will cancel the visa she is currently under at the time of the interview and place her under the new visa.

Hope this was of help to you. :thumbs:

7/12/2008 Filed I-130.

3/1/2010 Initiated Payment of IV Processing Fee says "IN PROCESS".

3/9/2010 IV Processing Fee says "PAID".

3/23/2010 DS-230 and civil documents FedExed to NVC.(should arrive 10:30 3/24)

3/24/2010 DS-230 and civil docs received by NVC. Signed by K. StLaurent.

04/05/2010 Case complete @ NVC according to AVR. Sign In Failed.

5/12/2010 Hubby's Going to get Medical Exam done.

5/13/2010 Med Exam should be completed and picked up.

5/14/2010 Our son and I are meeting Hubby in Barbados.

05/18/2010 Interview date. :( No yes, but no no either!

05/25/2010 I DHL'ed the I-160 waiver, hardship letter, I-864, and supporting documents to Barbados Embassy.

05/27/2010 Requested Documents DELIVERED to US Embassy in Barbados.

--/--/---- Documents (I-601 Waiver and Hardship Letter) DELIVERED to Homeland Security in Santo Domingo.

--/--/---- I-601 APPROVED...hopefully.

--/--/---- I received the approval letter.

--/--/---- US Embassy in Barbados request passport be sent to send back with visa.

--/--/---- Hubby receives VISA

--/--/---- POE.

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I'm in the same boat with you. My husband and I are getting ready to ship off his DS-230 probably next week Tuesday.

To answer your question: I think that you would just state the date that she arrived in the US and then put "present" in the place where you would put the date that she left. If you feel like you have to explain why you put present, you can always attach a letter stating that she is currently on a different visa. MAKE SURE THAT THE VISA IS CURRENT AND HASN'T EXPIRED.

When your case is complete, they'll send it to the appropriate consulate where you will have your interview. If they approve her visa application, I think they will cancel the visa she is currently under at the time of the interview and place her under the new visa.

Hope this was of help to you. :thumbs:

how you got travel visa when you in process for I-130

ccccccc

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i would not put 'present' there - I'd put, instead - the expiration date of the I-94, OR the return ticket date - whichever is sooner.

That ds-230, don't forget, is to be reviewed (as well) by the ConOff in Poland - so just what does 'present' mean to them, on interview day?

Think about it, ah?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

i would not put 'present' there - I'd put, instead - the expiration date of the I-94, OR the return ticket date - whichever is sooner.

That ds-230, don't forget, is to be reviewed (as well) by the ConOff in Poland - so just what does 'present' mean to them, on interview day?

Think about it, ah?

Good point. Will put the expected return date.

Thanks all!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.