Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

QUESTION HELP: Fiance Returning Home

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Anyone know the answer to this one?!

A friend (a woman from Columbia) needs to return home because the guy who brought her to the US does not want to marry her (and no, this is not secretly me :) I am concerned because I do not want her to overstay her K1 visa and then jeapordize her chances of coming to the US sometime in the future.

She is on a short time line: her K1 runs out the middle of August (so only less than two weeks).

How does she document with US immigration that she is leaving the US to go back home? Does she just check in with them at the Miami airport for example before getting on the plane to return home? (Miami has direct flights back to Columbia). Or does she have to go to an immigration office to do this? If she has to do the latter, making an appointment etc is very difficult as she has no car and the office is far away.

Anyone know?

Immensely grateful for your help or a recommendation to ask someone in particular this question.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe someone will give you a more definitive answer, but Im pretty sure just going thru customs at Miami will do the trick, they will stamp her passport and if theres any trouble in the future that stamp will serve as proof.

Good Luck

Edited by Alanlvsjudy

July 17 2006 Sent I-129F to TSC

July 19 2006 packet received by TSC

July 27 2006 case received at CSC

July 28 2006 touched (to process/send NOA1)

Aug 01 2006 check cashed

Aug 05 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Oct 03 2006 Touched (RFE sent)

Oct 10 2006 RFE received and responded to

Oct 17 2006 Touched (CSC reply to RFE response)

Nov 06 2006 NOA2

Nov 21 2006 NVC sent to Manila




March 27 2007 Interview

April 02 2007 Visa delivered

April 05 2007 Happiness delivered

April 06 2007 First day of the rest of our lives

"There they go! I must hurry and catch them, for I am their leader."

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Her K1 expiry date has nothing to do with it.... once the K1 has been used to enter the country it is finished with.... the date she need to worry about is the date on the I-94...

She should leave before that date or she will accrue overstay time as she did not complete the K1 by getting married within 90 days of arrival...

There is nothing that she need to do other than leave the country....


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

and hand in the I-94 to the Airline staff.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...