eblacki

Apply for K1 visa,but don't know if we should apply for waiver before interview

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello,

I have filed a K1 visa last November (09) and is petitioning for my fiance who currently lives in Brazil. Everything is going smoothly and his interview is on March 23rd. However, at his medical exam the doctor told him that he most likely won't get it (99%) because he went through the borders 8 years ago illegally. He never got deported or removed or falsely pretended to be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, and never had criminal problems in his background. He even paid taxes while in U.S. He went back to Brazil almost 2 years ago because we wanted to marry the right way and he be legal. Should he fill out the waiver and present it at the interview for K1 interview. I was also going to write to my congressmen to help us. What should we do to make our chances greater! PLEASE HELP!!

~ eblacki

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The waiver will be needed at the interview. . .it cannot be filed before then. Sounds like he was here >5 years illegally and has a 10 year ban. You are going to have to work very quickly to compile an approveable waiver package before then. . .or you could postpone the interview.

Check out www.immigrate2us.net for more information on what a waiver package entails. . .You are looking for the I-601 for which you must prove that it would be an "extreme hardship" for you the US Citizen if you had to either relocate to live with your husband/fiance or remain in the US without him. . .

Congressman cannot increase your chances of approval in this matter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

EMT, as always, gives excellent advice. The I-601 cannot be filed before it is requested at the interview.

Take a look at this link to learn about extreme hardship

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=316

I suggest you also seek the services of an immigration lawyer, waiver packets are long and laborious

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I didn't know I had to fill it. What waiver should I fill out, is it too late! Is there any hope for us?

the person who said that is incorrect. You cannot file a waiver until a the consular officer finds you inadmissible at your visa interview. Most people are aware of their inadmissibility and are armed with the prepared waiver packet at the interview. Most consulates will allow you to file the waiver immediately after you are found inadmissible while some(mexico for example) require a later appointment to be scheduled.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you for the website, but I want to make sure I understand correctly. I need to only complete the I-601 not the I-212, right? I should try to have it completed and in my fiance's hand when he goes to his K1 interview, right? Also, does he need to fill out anything, like the I-212?

The waiver will be needed at the interview. . .it cannot be filed before then. Sounds like he was here >5 years illegally and has a 10 year ban. You are going to have to work very quickly to compile an approveable waiver package before then. . .or you could postpone the interview.

Check out www.immigrate2us.net for more information on what a waiver package entails. . .You are looking for the I-601 for which you must prove that it would be an "extreme hardship" for you the US Citizen if you had to either relocate to live with your husband/fiance or remain in the US without him. . .

Congressman cannot increase your chances of approval in this matter.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Thank you for the website, but I want to make sure I understand correctly. I need to only complete the I-601 not the I-212, right? I should try to have it completed and in my fiance's hand when he goes to his K1 interview, right? Also, does he need to fill out anything, like the I-212?

If his interview is in March you don't have enough time to prepare a waiver.

You could try to post-pone the interview and hire a lawyer to work on your waiver.

Hardship waiver are not a easy thing to do. It takes time and work.

The consulate in Rio does accept the waiver packet at the interview. Talk to a lawyer and see how long it takes to make one for you, then postpone the interview.

Good luck.

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If he was deported, you would need the I-212, since he was not, you do not need it.

The I-601 is only the form, the waiver package has to be very detailed and the website that I gave you has tons of information on how to put it together. It is probably going to take too long to do though for it to be ready for the interview. You can postpone the interview, or go and set up a later time to turn in the waiver. Please start reading on the process immediately, it is very complicated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please keep in mind, the I-601 is just a form, the accompanying packet is the daunting part. The entire thing will include the completed I-601, a detailed letter explaining why you cannot move to Brazil and why he MUST come to the USA or you will endure extreme hardship. The latter part is the one that takes a long time and really requires a lawyer

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.