smithie05

DS-230: Rio Consulate's instructions versus Dept of State Instructions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We're waiting for our IV fee payment to be processed (it's taking forever!) and trying to prepare the DS-230.

The US Consulate in Rio de Janeiro has an instruction packet on its website that asks us to send:

1. DS-230 parts I and II (part II unsigned)

2. Copy of Passport bio page

3. One 5x5 cm photo

4. DS-2001

The Dept of State's instructions only ask for:

1. DS-230 part I

My husband is going to send the forms to me from Brazil. Should he send everything, just in case? Does anyone know what exactly the NVC wants, or have a link to the correct instruction packet (Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants)?

Is there ever a problem with the NVC if we send in extra, unnecessary forms?

We're waiting for our IV fee payment to be processed (it's taking forever!) and trying to prepare the DS-230.

The US Consulate in Rio de Janeiro has an instruction packet on its website that asks us to send:

3. One 5x5 cm photo

4. DS-2001

1. DS-230 part I

My husband is going to send the forms to me from Brazil. Should he send everything, just in case? Does anyone know what exactly the NVC wants, or have a link to the correct instruction packet (Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants)?

I think, you are getting confused between what you need to send NVC versus what the beneficiary needs to take to the US Embassy during the interview. I think, you only need to send DS 230 part I and Copy of the beneficiary's passport's bio pages to NVC. DS 230 part I and II should be taken with the beneficiary during the interview along with other documents, pictures that the Embassy will ask for in its interview letter. It is better for you to find someone who went through the same Embassy before. By the way, please fill out your timeline which would enable readers to answer your question better.

Please read this DOS link where they have useful info, if you have not read it:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1309.html

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Timeline

smithie,

Send the NVC what the NVC asks for.

Yodrak

3. One 5x5 cm photo

4. DS-2001

1. DS-230 part I

smithie05

Instruction packets from consulates are generic. Many things will be listed when you eventually receive the packet from the Consulate that you will have already submitted to NVC. They are aware of that and these things you just ignore.

If you check the appropriate 'Instructions for Immigrant Visas' HERE It will tell you what you need to send. If you are required to only send DS-230 part I you only need to submit the biographics page of your passport. If you are required to send in both parts I & II then you need to submit all the documents they list. Eventually all countries will be required to submit both parts I & II to the NVC to take this burden off the consulates.

Lorelle

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Are you referring to packet 3? You can find what the consulate in Rio asks online and I'd send them exactly what they ask there.

From what I know, DS-2001 is to be sent to the consulate to let them know you've gathered all the documents required for the interview. The instructions as to what will be needed for the interview come with packet 3, but I believe they also have the instructions up on their website.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Are you referring to packet 3? You can find what the consulate in Rio asks online and I'd send them exactly what they ask there.

From what I know, DS-2001 is to be sent to the consulate to let them know you've gathered all the documents required for the interview. The instructions as to what will be needed for the interview come with packet 3, but I believe they also have the instructions up on their website.

Mew

A CR-1 is different to the K visas as some documents that are listed on the consulate websites are submitted prior at the NVC stage. Only one packet is generally received from the consulate with the CR-1 which includes the interview date. There is no letting them know that all documents have been gathered prior to them scheduling the interview.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Smithie,

At this time, please wait for the NVC DS 230 packet to arrive and then send NVC what they ask you to send. Most likely, you need to send DS 230 part I and copy of passport's biographical information of the beneficiary. Brazil is not one of the few countries which requires its applicants to send Ds 230 part I and II and other documents to NVC. For those countries, (Lebanon, Canada, Albania, Phillippines, the whole Africa continent, maybe few other countries), NVC schedules the interview date. For other countries (including Brazil I think) except the above mentioned, The US Embassy will schedule the interview date. The US Embassy is not aware of your case yet. NVC will send your case to the US Embassy once they complete your case at the NVC. Only then, US Embassy will know about your case. US Embassy will send the interview appointment letter with detailed instructions' packet, known as packet 4 to the beneficiary. If you can find out anyone who went through the same US Embassy, then it will be more helpful to you. But for now, just wait for the NVC instructions to come on the mail.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Mew

A CR-1 is different to the K visas as some documents that are listed on the consulate websites are submitted prior at the NVC stage. Only one packet is generally received from the consulate with the CR-1 which includes the interview date. There is no letting them know that all documents have been gathered prior to them scheduling the interview.

Thanks, aussie! :)

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.