clueless_in_usa

V-day vs W-day

123 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Oh and I also understand that the fall of the whole Eurasia continent to Nazi's is your wet dream. Wonder how long it would've taken Hitler to get across the pond to finish the job...hm...

oh wait, riiiiiiiiiight, U.S. is untouchable, I forgot!

No, my obvious point was that US soldiers fought as heroes without need for comrades to sit behind them with machine guns to kill those who retreated from the battle. Russians feared death from comrades more than Germans.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
No, my obvious point was that US soldiers fought as heroes without need for comrades to sit behind them with machine guns to kill those who retreated from the battle. Russians feared death from comrades more than Germans.

You know better, you were there I guess.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

A radically different philosophy than we are used to in this day and age for sure. The thought that lives are cheaper than bullets, so put the deserters at the front, empty handed, and charge the enemy, is just plain scary. I think that was the intent (or one of several). It must have been a bit demoralizing to see hundreds of half starved men throwing rocks at you and screaming as they came on. You knew you had to kill all of them, because to avoid their own officers having them killed, they had to go through you.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Much is made of this and very little of it is true. Russians were fighting for their home and few needed any forcing to do it. Any such depictions are largely overblown and much exaggerated. The vast majority of Red Army soldiers were doing exactly what they wanted to and took great pride in killing the facist pigs. In fact they killed a lot of the facist pigs that we would otherwise have had to kill ourselves. Despite what came after, Russia was our ally in WW2, though our history books would just as soon pretend that wasn't the case.

I am surprised a veteran would have such feelings about other people that fought for their country, how are they any different than you? When it comes to this, I do not have political feelings and I am very glad the FSU Republics have keot their war memorials intact. I WISH our country treated OUR veterans with the reverence that I see shown in Ukraine to veterans of the second war. Too bad there are not many of them left anymore, neither country will better without them.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Too bad there are not many of them left anymore, neither country will better without them.

Every year, when I watch a Victory Day parade (May 9th) i sew fewer and fewer of them, and it makes me sad.

Not that many people are around who've actually seen combat anymore.

But what are you gonna do, it's a natural way of things in life.

At least I'm sure, that even when all of those veterans are gone, I'm still going to see a Victory Day parade to honor the memory of those who stood in the path of unthinkable evil. Oh and that also includes all of the U.S. men and women who gave their lives for the cause I am pretty sure not all of them totally understood.

WWII was a joint effort.

Great Patriotic War was our history. No one country went though the horrors like that.

I'm just saying, I'm glad that this country did not have to go through that.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline
Every year, when I watch a Victory Day parade (May 9th) i sew fewer and fewer of them, and it makes me sad.

Not that many people are around who've actually seen combat anymore.

But what are you gonna do, it's a natural way of things in life.

At least I'm sure, that even when all of those veterans are gone, I'm still going to see a Victory Day parade to honor the memory of those who stood in the path of unthinkable evil. Oh and that also includes all of the U.S. men and women who gave their lives for the cause I am pretty sure not all of them totally understood.

WWII was a joint effort.

Great Patriotic War was our history. No one country went though the horrors like that.

I'm just saying, I'm glad that this country did not have to go through that.

I guess it is a good thing that less people have seen war.

We used to have "V-E" Day, May 8th. same thing. But then someone decided it was too many holidays and, what the heck, we had Memorial Day, so why have another just for them? We also had V-J day, but again,,,too much celbration, for what? They still provide an honor guard at the Navy memorial in Odessa, very impressive to see the young men and women do the changing of the guard. Impressive to see the monumental statue to the war veterans on top of the Odessa train station. It seems the veterans are honored everywhere. Very impressive to see a veteran of the war, now old and tired, with a medal or two pinned to his old wool coat get on a bus and EVERYONE jumps up to offer their seat and thank him, and refer to him as "grandfather" in a most respectful manner, for his service, more than 60 years after the fact. Every young person in Ukraine, old enough to speak and think...4 year olds, 5 year olds, KNOW what Victory day is and why they celebrate it. Ask a US teenager what V-E day is. Good luck with that.

Here, we didn't have a WW2 memorial until just recently...can you imagine? My father died of old age before the memorial was built to the war he fought ...in his own country. He had to go to a foreign country to see a memorial while he was still alive.

I would never say a bad word about our veterans, and remarking on other countries soldiers is no insult to our own. One can mention Kursk without the Ardennes and not be insulting to the soldiers in Belgium One can mention Leningrad without insulting veterans of Omaha beach. The two are not mutually exclusive and completely apolitical in my opinion.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
OK :ot2: What's on deck for W day gents?

Party at Olga 2's house. I am told it has not been decided if the men are invited. Last year we were not, except to go pick up the women and drive them home. The men went to Hooter's for dinner, but now Hooter's closed in Vermont (we only had one) for lack of suitable...hooters, I suspect.

Alla has requested I install a new radio/CD player in her car for her "gift".

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Much is made of this and very little of it is true. Russians were fighting for their home and few needed any forcing to do it. Any such depictions are largely overblown and much exaggerated. The vast majority of Red Army soldiers were doing exactly what they wanted to and took great pride in killing the facist pigs. In fact they killed a lot of the facist pigs that we would otherwise have had to kill ourselves. Despite what came after, Russia was our ally in WW2, though our history books would just as soon pretend that wasn't the case.

I am surprised a veteran would have such feelings about other people that fought for their country, how are they any different than you? When it comes to this, I do not have political feelings and I am very glad the FSU Republics have keot their war memorials intact. I WISH our country treated OUR veterans with the reverence that I see shown in Ukraine to veterans of the second war. Too bad there are not many of them left anymore, neither country will better without them.

No, it's true and notorious as Stalin saw his men loosing, he invoked a new strategy...make his men fear him more than the Germans. And if you failed in anyway as an officer, you were a dead man.

Yes, Gary, Stalin and the Soviets were so much nicer than Hitler. We also need to remember that Stalin first tried being Hitler's buddy but the pact was broken by Hitler.

The WWII American vets were treated as heroes and given generous benefits. What did the Ukraine do for its vets? Gary, I think you need to knock off the bull about the once hideous behavior of the Soviets and stop revising history to suit your misguided views.

Timeline
No, it's true and notorious as Stalin saw his men loosing, he invoked a new strategy...make his men fear him more than the Germans. And if you failed in anyway as an officer, you were a dead man.

Yes, Gary, Stalin and the Soviets were so much nicer than Hitler. We also need to remember that Stalin first tried being Hitler's buddy but the pact was broken by Hitler.

The WWII American vets were treated as heroes and given generous benefits. What did the Ukraine do for its vets? Gary, I think you need to knock off the bull about the once hideous behavior of the Soviets and stop revising history to suit your misguided views.

I make no apologies for Stalin and not even a single political comment. I also make no statements regarding what the government (Soviet or Ukrainian did for it's people) I never did, and never will. I am impressed what the PEOPLE of Ukraine do to honor the PEOPLE that fought in the 2nd war. I respect that their PEOPLE fought and died under far more terrible conditions, in far greater numbers than our own. Our country and civilians were not so much as scratched compared to what the people in Ukraine suffered. That is simply a fact. Millions were killed, not honorably in battle with a rifle in their hands, but shot in the head because they were Ukrainian...untermensch Slavs, and for no other reason. There is NO PLAQUE in YOUR hometown city park to commemorate 400 women and children shot and dumped in a hole. It makes absolutely no sense to detract from the actions of a foot soldier because his country's dictator was a madman. How does that make the guy on the frontline less a soldier? There were no men with machineguns behind the First Belarusian and First Ukrainian armies that raced each other to decapitate the 3rd Reich. why would you want to detract from what they accomplished?

Did Stalin make mistakes? Of course. Did Chamberlain? Did Roosevelt? Did the Soviet government mistreat people? Of course. This is not about governments, it is about people. The people of Ukraine still honor Ukrainians who fought in the war. The children in the USA have forgotten all about them...probably taught that what they did was not important, not worthy of honor, probably taught it was only because of politicians mistakes

why is it not possible for you to recognize that US soldiers were not the only ones that suffered because of politicians F-ups?

Your statements are insulting to all veterans including our own.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
I make no apologies for Stalin and not even a single political comment. I also make no statements regarding what the government (Soviet or Ukrainian did for it's people) I never did, and never will. I am impressed what the PEOPLE of Ukraine do to honor the PEOPLE that fought in the 2nd war. I respect that their PEOPLE fought and died under far more terrible conditions, in far greater numbers than our own. Our country and civilians were not so much as scratched compared to what the people in Ukraine suffered. That is simply a fact. Millions were killed, not honorably in battle with a rifle in their hands, but shot in the head because they were Ukrainian...untermensch Slavs, and for no other reason. There is NO PLAQUE in YOUR hometown city park to commemorate 400 women and children shot and dumped in a hole. It makes absolutely no sense to detract from the actions of a foot soldier because his country's dictator was a madman. How does that make the guy on the frontline less a soldier? There were no men with machineguns behind the First Belarusian and First Ukrainian armies that raced each other to decapitate the 3rd Reich. why would you want to detract from what they accomplished?

Did Stalin make mistakes? Of course. Did Chamberlain? Did Roosevelt? Did the Soviet government mistreat people? Of course. This is not about governments, it is about people. The people of Ukraine still honor Ukrainians who fought in the war. The children in the USA have forgotten all about them...probably taught that what they did was not important, not worthy of honor, probably taught it was only because of politicians mistakes

why is it not possible for you to recognize that US soldiers were not the only ones that suffered because of politicians F-ups?

Your statements are insulting to all veterans including our own.

Reality check: Stalin killed more Ukrainians and other FSU people than Hitler.

As to individual soldiers behavior...the Germans and Japanese preferred surrendering to Americans because they knew what the Soviets or Maoists would do to them.

Gary, I didn't realize you speak for all veterans.

I hold our WWII vets in the highest esteem. They saved our butts. They were the greatest generation.

The Russian Army is famous for abuse to its soldiers, even today the abuse continues. Excuse me if I don't accept that behavior as honorable. You can ask my wife's son about this. The cruel, boorish, abusive nature of Russians is well documented.

Party at Olga 2's house. I am told it has not been decided if the men are invited. Last year we were not, except to go pick up the women and drive them home. The men went to Hooter's for dinner, but now Hooter's closed in Vermont (we only had one) for lack of suitable...hooters, I suspect.

Alla has requested I install a new radio/CD player in her car for her "gift".

I scheduled a spa day for Vika. Massage, manicure/pedicure, blah, blah. Dinner at a steak joint. Flowers seem to be required too, I am looking into it. I really got my self sideways with the timing, as our anniversary is a week later. Big plans for that.

I refuse to get more involved in the patriotic crank measuring contest, because I don't want to humiliate the rest of you.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline
I scheduled a spa day for Vika. Massage, manicure/pedicure, blah, blah. Dinner at a steak joint. Flowers seem to be required too, I am looking into it. I really got my self sideways with the timing, as our anniversary is a week later. Big plans for that.

I refuse to get more involved in the patriotic crank measuring contest, because I don't want to humiliate the rest of you.

Just call it her "birthday and Woman's day gift combined" Should work fine, d'ya think?

And Brad...we were using centimeter rulers anyway, so who cares! Everything is bigger in metric! :P FSU girls get confused by the whole "inches" thing.

Gary And Alla

Just call it her "birthday and Woman's day gift combined" Should work fine, d'ya think?

You try it first. If you live, I'll think about it.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline
You try it first. If you live, I'll think about it.

Yeah, that ain't gonna fly :)

For example... her b-day is Feb 9th, our anniversary is on 13th, and you know, Valentine's day on 14th!

Now, I wouldn't want to bunch up all those into one to begin with, but if I tried.... no, she wouldn't kill me, but she'd definitely be disappointed, I am sure

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.