SENKA

SSN number and Canadian EI

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok help me out here as I am a little confused....

I understand so far that as a working canadian citizen, I qualify for EI in the USA cause I am "moving in anticipation of a marriage". GREAT! :dance:

According to the EI Canada website, I should apply within 4 weeks of my last day of work (and after getting my record of employment -ROE), and I assume only AFTER I have moved to the US, cause I need to send them a copy of my K-1 and I-94. Correct?

Well, what happens if I don't have an EAD to send them (cause it could take 90+days to get). On the USCIS website it specifically says that K-1 are eligible to work on a K-1. Do you send them a copy of the USCIS website saying.... "see, I am ELIGIBLE to work without an EAD" :P

It's just kind of confusing cause some people say they didn't need EAD to get EI and others say otherwise, what is really the policy on this??? :angry:

We also have been able to receive EI without our EAD.

Dave faxed his I-94 and Visa to them about a month ago.

We got a full EI check just this past week, for the past two weeks. Don't really know how we started getting it without the EAD.

That's great, I am happy for you! It didn't work for me, I also faxed them I-94 and Visa. I guess it all depends on who is processing the case, so you may consider yourself lucky.

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was a cr-1 which doesnt require an EAD, so my situation was different. When they denied me at first, they sent along an appeal form, but you have not been denied, so I can't assist much more, sorry!! I would assume not many Cdns know when they leave canada to reside with a spouse, that they may qualify for EI, so I would also assume not many gov't workers know how to properly deal with it. Best of luck

I was cr-1 so my situation was different with regards to EI. But it shouldn't be that much of a suprise (yes frustrating) that some are able to get it without an EAD, while ohters can't. I recall talking to an EI guy on the phone and he started to yip about not getting $$ until I got an EAD (which i didnt need) One could trying contacting them again to see if one gets a different answer. It sort of makes sense that one should not be able to get EI, unless your able tyo legaaly work, I dont think you can get it in Canada if your unable to work, but I may be wrong, I never took EI in Canada, and wasnt aware one could get EI in the USA, but luckily Cassie on VJ showed me the way!! I got it for the maximum time and never received a call from them regarding if I was looking for work. I did get denied at first, but successfully appealed it. blah blah blah. Best of luck

Thanks Scott,

I am still not refused, but it looks like I will be as they sent me a form requesting EAD copy or working visa number. So, I would greatly appreciate if you could help me on how to appeal or give me Cassie's user ID so I can ask the question.

Senka

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I thought I would add this link I found in the pinned section of working and travelling in the US:

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/36f...b4?OpenDocument

It specifically states that K-1 only need an I-94 to work. However, K-3 need EAD. I'm gonna send this to EI when I apply so that they know and hopefully they won't give me a hard time. :) I realize that I'll still have to apply for EAD with my AOS after I get married though. Hmmmm, how would that work? You can work for 90 days until K-1 expires but then you have to apply for EAD and that takes about 3 months so can't work during then? This makes no sense...why bother only working for a few months?

Anyway, hope this link helps.

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
We also have been able to receive EI without our EAD.

Dave faxed his I-94 and Visa to them about a month ago.

We got a full EI check just this past week, for the past two weeks. Don't really know how we started getting it without the EAD.

Did Dave need his american SSN before he started to request Canadian EI ??

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Timeline

EI is Employment Insurance... Us Canadians pay big time into this every year from our paycheck :o

Once again what is Canadian EI?

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

Timeline

EI is Employment Insurance... Us Canadians pay big time into this every year from our paycheck :o

Is it something like an unemployment benefit?

Yup that is correct. It used to be called Unemployment insurance but they changed it to the politically correct term of Employment Insurance.

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: Timeline

Yup that is correct. It used to be called Unemployment insurance but they changed it to the politically correct term of Employment Insurance.

Some for my little mind, if you come to the U.S. and can show you are authorized to work and don't have a job you can collect the benefit?

Timeline
Some for my little mind, if you come to the U.S. and can show you are authorized to work and don't have a job you can collect the benefit?

If you come to the USA for/because of marriage, yes, you can collect EI. You must show you are actively seeking employment if they ask for it. Once you start working and earning a certain amount you must tell them and the benefits will stop. I think I'm allowed to earn $88 without penalty.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Timeline

Yep, one must have enough qualified hours back in Canada to be able to get it in the USA, Depending how many hrs and how much you made in Canada all figures in how much and how long one can get EI in the USA. the max time I believe is 36 weeks and the max amt of $$$ one can get each month slips my mind. One has to actively be looking for work in the USA, they can call you up and ask for proof. Every two weeks they send you time sheets to fill out, very basic and easy to fill out.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

The max you can receive is $413/week on EI. After taxes and then exchange rate, not much left but certainly better than nothing!!! :) I'll definitely be applying!

Yep, one must have enough qualified hours back in Canada to be able to get it in the USA, Depending how many hrs and how much you made in Canada all figures in how much and how long one can get EI in the USA. the max time I believe is 36 weeks and the max amt of $$$ one can get each month slips my mind. One has to actively be looking for work in the USA, they can call you up and ask for proof. Every two weeks they send you time sheets to fill out, very basic and easy to fill out.

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

Timeline

I got the max, and I think it was around $1000 usd a month after taxes and the exchange rate at the time.

Timeline

Sorry, we've been a bit crazy :-) Haven't gotten to reply!

Dave has his SSN at this point, and I do believe they asked for the number at some point.

Honestly, I think it all depends on who processes it on when the benefits will start.

Kim/Boston/US

Dave/Vancouver/Canada

4/2005 - met in Vegas!

10/8/2005 - We got engaged!! (with many, many trips between the two!)

K-1 Journey:

12/12/2005 - Sent I-129F to Vermont! (Day 1)

12/13/2005 - I-129F arrives at VSC! (Day 2)

12/16/2005 - Check Cashed! (Day 5)

12/22/2005 - NOA1 received by snail mail (Day 11)

1/10/2006 - NOA2 received by email! (Day 30)

1/14/2006 - NOA2 received by snail mail (Day 34)

1/17/2006 - Letter Received from NVC (Day 37)

1/30/2006 - Fiance receives Packet 3! (Day 50)

3/1/2006 - Medical Exam (Day 79)

3/3/2006 - Checklist Faxed to Consulate (Day 81)

3/14/2006 - Call to Consulate, Interview Scheduled for April 10th!!

3/17/2006 - Packet 4 w/interview date finally arrives!

4/10/2006 - K-1 VISA APPROVED! (Day 121)

6/11/2006 - Border Crossing at Peace Bridge (Buffalo, NY)

6/16/2006 - Legally Married!

10/1/2006 - Our Wedding Day

AOS Journey:

8/7/2006 Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago (Day 1)

8/8/2006 AOS/EAD/AP Arrive at Chicago Lockbox

8/16/2006 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

9/11/2006 AOS Transferred to CSC

10/17/2006 AP Approved (by email)

10/18/2006 EAD touched!

11/25/06 Biometrics scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.