trailmix

Canalien Houses

Who's doing what?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. You both live together/have lived together - You are buying furniture for/decorating your house, who is making most of those decisions?

• Female
    • Male
    • We make the decision 100% together
    • We haven't lived together for an extended period yet
  2. 2. You do not live together yet - You are buying furniture for/decorating your house, who is making most of those decisions?

• Female
    • Male
    • We make the decision 100% together
    • n/a
  3. 3. You are choosing new electronics (big screen tv, surround sound system! etc - for both of you to use) - who will probably have the most input/do the most groundwork?

• Female - we live together or have lived together for an extended period
    • Male - we live together or have lived together for an extended period
    • Female - we don't live together yet
    • Male - we don't live together yet
    • We live together or have for an extended period- we make the decision 100% together
    • We don't live together yet - we will make the decision 100% together
    • n/a

38 posts in this topic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll ask his opinion, but I'll be picking it out.

Anything to do with electronics he picks out though.

He picks out my clothes too. I am a terrible shopper. :lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't find the options for "I am stuck with my current furniture until my kids grow up and stop ruining my stuff."

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

He has all the cool electronics already and is bringing it with him to the U.S.A. I have good furniture so we are sticking with my furniture (although he is attached to his childhood dresser and his double bed which will go in the spare room). As for decorating, we have been doing that together. Who has the money to buy new furniture? Certainly not us right now with immigration and moving expenses and the wait for him to get a job in the U.S.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I didn't find the options for "I am stuck with my current furniture until my kids grow up and stop ruining my stuff."

Then you have to 'pretend' that you are able to get rid of the kool-aid resistant sofa and are picking out new stuff :lol:

So yes, while everyone might not be replacing everything when they move (I mean who does really?) this is more to get a feel of decision making :)

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

When we got married she had all the stuff. I never collected much of my own other then a desk and a dresser really. When we divorced, she wanted to give me a lot of her furniture, but I had a friend that was moving and had to get rid of stuff, so I told her I was covered for my new aparment.

I lucked out as she had a hell of a time moving compared to me, since I took very few things of my own...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Great timing for this poll. We are in the process of doing this as we are downsizing and moving to a 1-bedroom on the 22nd of March. We are doing this together, I think. LOL.

No more boys living with us :dance: .

I kind of think it's time we started our married life.....LOL

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Poll wouldn't work for me - but we pick everything out together. I'm pretty techy too so we don't have the testosterone control over electronics the way some people do.

The only thing I could care less about are the Harmony remotes.......I don't get all flustered if I have to use 2 or 3.....Don is IN LOVE with them and is obsessed (there hon - I said it...you are obsessed) over having a single remote that does it all, programs them etc.....I'm good with whatever.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

We're pretty balanced in ALL of our decisions. It has always been an important factor for me in our relationship. We're both quite opinionated, so we'll have slightly heated exchanges about things, but somehow we always manage to find common ground without compromise.

As mentioned elsewhere, my wife just signed a lease on a new apartment a few days ago. She has most of the furniture we'll need, but we're also going to need a dinette set and some more bookcases. First of all, we spent over an hour going over potential layouts in the new apartment, even though SHE will be the person doing all the moving, thanks to me not being there for another month or so. But we hashed it out together, which was very important to me...and the ultimate layout we're going with has elements of BOTH of our opinions in it.

A couple of nights ago we were talking about dinette set and looking at various options online. There was one that she really liked, and I liked too...but I didn't think we could justify the expense at this juncture. It's a beautiful set, but just too pricey. Ultimately she agreed, and we decided to go with a cheaper set to tide us over for the next few years until we're able to afford something that will be with us for decades. Later on, we were talking about bookcases, and she came up with the idea of buying two -- one that's half the size of the other -- and putting the television on the shorter one, surrounding it with our DVDs etc., while the other bookcase has other stuff on it. Kind of hard to explain what I mean...but I thought it was a perfect idea...so that's what we're going to do.

It's truly a discussion when it comes to things like that, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

We just bought all new furniture for our apartment and are in the process of decor (curtains, wall hangings etc) and we have been deciding everything together.

We both have similar taste, although mine is a bit more girly, so he helps to balance me out. He's colour blind, so sometimes I get to make the final decision on colours. But ultimately, we both have to live with what we buy so I want him to be a part of the decision.

As for technology things. I work in tech, so I'm familiar, but he is actually really techy himself and good at doing research and comparison shopping so I let him handle all of that stuff. He asks my opinion, but I am usually in agreement.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

He makes the "official" decision because I tell him it's his responsibility since he's the head of the house hold, but I yield *ALOT* of input power, lol.

Edited by Revenesque

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

Not really sure how to answer so I picked some.

Typically we are involved in decisions together completely but from different aspects.

As an example, furniture, I get hung up on stuff like: size/spacing, feature comparisons, and cost. Peachey thinks about things like: do we actually need it, will it match, doe it fit in the car.

Decorations.... I have a hard time caring about. As long as there are some pictures around, and a calendar so I know what day it is - I'm happy. So I tend to leave that soley to Peachey.

Most other things we at least talk about to have some level of agreement before we get anything.

Our last couple "big" purchases were the TV and fishes. For both of those, we agreed before we got anything. Again, we weren't looking at the same things - but we balanced each other out and agreed and all was happy.

Cept for the fish tank base not quite fitting and I ended up sitting outside a closed fish store for 35 minutes or so till Peachey could come back with her car to pick me and it up. :whistle:

I really gotta remember to take into account the small opening on my car trunk, and not the overall volume.

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Timeline

So for furniture, paint colours, whatever, we do talk about it, we tend to compromise a bit, but i'm probably more outspoken about that - I think that is because I do have some definate ideas - ie: there are some things that would really bother me to look at, whereas it wouldn't bother him as much.

For electronics, he pretty much does the ground work, i'm by no means technically uninformed, however he is technically incredibly informed, because it is one of his interests.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We did the furniture shopping thing before spoom moved down, but we weighed in pretty evenly on it.

When it comes to technology, it's allllll him :)

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since I had a fully and newly furnished house in Canada, we will be moving all that stuff down, so technically I picked out all that furniture. But since he had only a futon, tv and bed, we have invested in a few things while I have been here....a better sofa (the futon was killing my back!!!), a little ktichen table and paint colors for the house here, and those were both choices we made together. We have very similar tastes when it comes to decorating so that makes it a bit easier!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.