ktun

The knock on the door in the middle of the night

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ktun

"It's like a holding house or something, different people moving through every couple of weeks, cars coming and going at all hours of the night."

This would be MORE reason to get a camcorder... or even a digital camera... or a camera with a zoom lens. I would try to document activity there... and the comings and goings of the residents. Also, do these people own or rent the home across from you? Maybe you could get in touch with your neighbors around you, and band together to get then people out of the house if they are renting... get in touch with the owner, etc. Tell the owner that they are creating havoc in the neighborhood. It's just an idea. I will keep watching for your posts... to see what happens. I'm praying for ya!

Lynne

Well, we've informed the police in the past about what the people across the street have been doing, and really they dont seem the slightest bit interested. It all started in December when my hubby yelled at them to turn the music down at around 2am. Since then they've been making life a misery for us. Called the police when they broke into our garage, called them when they stole the vegetables from our garden, when they threw the eggs on our car etc. The police said "Well you cant actually prove it was them, since you dont have independant witnesses!!" Didnt want to investigate or anything. Almost accusing us of stealing our own vegetables, breaking into our own garage etc!!!!

These officers are the same dumb fcuks who last month attended the scene of a car jacking and shot the VICTIM 19 times through the car window instead of the criminal. Idiots!! I really have NO faith whatsoever in the police around here.

We will be getting a camcorder.

Thanks all, Kate

PS// The other thing that really grates us is that they're ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS across the street. One of them is legal perhaps, but the others certainly aren't. It's like a holding house or something, different people moving through every couple of weeks, cars coming and going at all hours of the night It's like a holding house or something, different people moving through every couple of weeks, cars coming and going at all hours of the night

It's like a holding house or something, different people moving through every couple of weeks, cars coming and going at all hours of the night
. It just makes me furious that the authorities dont want to do anything about it.

PPS// The rest of the neighbours and the area are great, have no problems with them at all, so it's not like we live in a terrible place or anything like that.

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hubby just did an internet search for the address opposite. Firstly according to all street records the house as they have it posted doesnt actually exist?!!! They're calling it xxxx 5th Ave. However there is listed a xxx 31st St which should be situated about where the house is located. ie. The house is on the corner of 31st and 5th and they changed the address to 5th, although the door and mailbox are on 31st. Guess they like the sound of 5th better?!

Also, the house is definately rented, we've found the names and address of the owners for xxx 31st St who live in Des Moines some 100+ miles away, so it appears likely that they wont know what is going on at the house. We will be writing to them and spoke to our neighbours directly behind us who also have a clear view of that house and they'll be backing us up. Apparantly their garage has been targeted too, nothing taken, just door broken and contents messed up, just like ours.

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

ktun I came to see the latest update and agree that you need the neighbors and yourself to contact the landlord that is not in the area. Inform them of the conditions at the home and the events happening by documenting everything. Good luck and will come and check back in later for updates.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
ktun I came to see the latest update and agree that you need the neighbors and yourself to contact the landlord that is not in the area. Inform them of the conditions at the home and the events happening by documenting everything. Good luck and will come and check back in later for updates.

Mary

I would be on the phone to the police, reporting the entire incident. They are paid to protect the public and they may send a patrol car along your street at night occasionally, this will act as a deterent if nothing else. Even if you have no evidence as to who it was knocking on the windows, the police should take it seriously because you shouldn't feel intimidated or afraid inside your own home.

My friend recently had to evict a tenant from one of her rental properties - she lives a good 1000 miles from the house too. She was not aware of how rough the family was, or how they had virtually destroyed her house, inside and out! I would definitely get in touch with the landlord and just mention that they may want to take a look, since there are so many people in and out of the house.

Also, if you are suspicious that the house is a "holding house" then I would contact ICE and report it!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would have called the police last night and asked if they sent someone to my house for some reason. If not, I would still report the incident to them. I doubt it was someone bad. Bad people would not be so loud and obvious. Go ahead and call the police and put your mind at ease.

I don't know in Nebraska, but in NYC cops need a warrant to search a property and they would announce themselves at some point in the next 5 minutes, even in case of an emergency, if they need to enter a house or an apartment.

I wouldn't assume that these guys are harmless, not to be completely paranoid here but coming from NYC, one can never assume anything about anyone. You can't blame the police for not checking on noisy neighbours. The cops have their hands full. I lived in the Spanish Harlem for some time where cops don't even bother coming unless someone is dead (sort of speak!), even less for complaints about loud music or people coming in and out of the building. The fact that people who live across the street are in and out, days and nights, and that they are immigrants is not a sufficient reason in itself to suspect a criminal activity.

This type of thing is quite common in NYC where people have different working schedules and often have to live in crowded apartments. Immigrants don't comit more crime than other people. Actually, illegal aliens usually prefer to stay away from trouble so that they don't get arrested and shipped back home. Try talking to them perhaps? This will create a more friendly environment. Maybe this will help you figure out who they are and see if you need to be afraid or not.

In any case, I would call the police if someone comes in my house.

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

got a gun?? Just to be safe, not trying to scare you! :thumbs:

~James

yup. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

That's how I roll too....Ive got one in the night stand 2 on the wall and one under the bed :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sounds like to me it was the police. They might of got a call about a suspicious person around your house, or even a prank call about someone breaking in.

They knocked on the door. At night, the usual MO for a thief is to quietly come in and to do his thing... not wake up the victims and then look for a way in.

The cops probably got some sort of call and came to check it out. You didn't answer your door, so they went around the house looking for signs of break in. If they found any, then they would of been justified to come in and continue to look for the perp... but they found none, and no one answered the door... nothing they could do. I know alot of cops use cell phones for work reasons... but he probably was talking into a radio that he had turned way down since he would of been sneaking around the house trying to catch a bad guy in the act.

How it Started

2001 to Feb 2002 - Met online, were acquintances

Mar to Apr 2005 - Talked about finally giving in to our feelings and getting married

Aug 1 to Aug 7, 2005 - Fifth US Visit - Engaged

Time for the Visa

Dec 8, 2005 - Finally mailed Packet

Dec 20, 2005 - NOA1 Notice Date

Dec 27, 2005 - NOA1 Rcv'd in Mail

Mar 10, 2006 - NOA2 Approved

Mar 23, 2006 - NVC Received Packet

Mar 24, 2006 - Case Forwarded to London Embassy

Apr 7, 2006 - Recieved Packet 3

May 11, 2006 - Packet 3 Sent Back

May 24, 2006 - Medical Appointment

May 24, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

Jun 14, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!

Jun 16, 2006 - Visa Recieved