wreath

wedding in vietnam

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hello,

My g/f gave me this list of things i need to send to her but really have no idea how to go about it. The main thing is the medical. She says i need to have my head checked? heres the list. If anyone has married in vietnam please tell me what you did and where you did it. thanks.

1. petition for confirmation of celibacy.

2. medical certificate

3.Power of Attorney to submit paperwork on my behalf

4.petition of absence

5. copy of passport

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
hello,

My g/f gave me this list of things i need to send to her but really have no idea how to go about it. The main thing is the medical. She says i need to have my head checked? heres the list. If anyone has married in vietnam please tell me what you did and where you did it. thanks.

1. petition for confirmation of celibacy.

2. medical certificate

3.Power of Attorney to submit paperwork on my behalf

4.petition of absence

5. copy of passport

I've never heard of the confirmation of celibacy or petition of absence. You do need to submit an affidavit of single status and a certificate of no-marriage. There's a summary of the requirements on the Vietnam consulate's website:

http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/service...-huongdan-e.htm

You WILL need a medical certificate which confirms that you don't have any disqualifying mental illness.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I got married in VN and did all the paperwork on my own (no dich vu)...

First of all, start by going to this page which tells you EXACTLY what you do/don't need:

http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/consular...y_a_vietnamese/

Basically:

1.Application for Marriage Registration in Vietnam (**Fill out in Vietnamese)

2.Affidavit of Single Status (Get in US & has to be specially notarized 2xs)

3.Certificate of No-marriage Records (Get in US from county clerk or registrar official)

4.Medical Certificate (I got this done in the US, but I had to get a mental exam in Vietnam too...this also needs to be specially notarized 2xs)

5.Photocopy of the photo and signature pages of the Passport (Make copy and have it specially notarized 2xs)

Special considerations if you're widowed or divorced and also if you intend to have power of attorney in VN (dich vu)...

6. Bio Info Sheet

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Timeline
hello,

1. petition for confirmation of celibacy.I believe this is the affidavit of single status--I filled out the form and I got this notarized 2xs.

2. medical certificate I went to my physician...actually he's a physician's assistant. I told him what it was for and he just had a document prepared & signed

3.Power of Attorney to submit paperwork on my behalf I did all the paperwork myself, so no need to get this. If you plan to have dich vu help, you can fill in the form provided by the embassy (see my link above)

4.petition of absenceI believe this is the no marriage document. I got this from the county clerk for like $5.

5. copy of passport I sent in a copy of the signature and picture page after I got it notarized twice...

If you need more details, pm me and I'll tell you more of what and how I did things for my marriage in VN....

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

4.Medical Certificate (I got this done in the US, but I had to get a mental exam in Vietnam too...this also needs to be specially notarized 2xs)

I also had my family doctor fill my medical paperwork out only to have them tell me it had to be done here in Vietnam now. They never even looked at the one from my doctor.

Edited by Mr. Saigon

Timeline

medical certificate-vietnam not accept the mental exam from your family doctor, you have to go to hospital for this mental check, but whether or not vietnam has accepted this institution is up to their preference. Often they like us to do it here in us. My advice is use Power of Attorney sheet and let your SO submit the application first without medical cert., then after you HAVE arrived in vietnam, have medical done (take only 1 day) and resubmit this medical sheet at next meeting at SO TU PHAP.

bio sheet- if your SO is living in HOCHIMINH city, there is no need for this sheet

1 Application for Marriage Registration in Vietnam- (locally notarized then state certified)

2 Certificate of No-marriage Records issued by the State (or County) Vital Statistics Office (issued by county or state, no local notarized, only state certified)

3 Affidavit of Single Status (bilingual form attached). (locally notarized then state certified)

4 divorcee decree (issued by county or state, no local notarized, only state certified) if needed

5 Photocopy of the photo and signature pages of the Passport. (locally notarized then state certified)

6 6 Power of Attorney for Submission of Application(locally notarized then state certified)

1+2+3+4 if needed +5 +6 send to vn embassy for final seal (call embassy for fee before u send, washington usually cheaper than california embassy

medical sheet is up to you

Timeline
ok thanks everyone ,so i need get the papers notarized by 2 diffrent notaries?

One time by a notary and then they have to be sent to the secretary of state in the state you reside to be notarized again. (Or stamped that the notary seal is legit)

Timeline

you will have to show up at the Su Tu Phap and sign the marriage certificate, there is no power of attorney letter around it. I tried the same thing, have a letter explaining that I have work..etc.. The people at the Su Tu Phap and my own lawyer said that no matter what, I have to show up to sign the marriage certificate

Visa Journey

CR-1 Visa Journey

11/07/08 ............Married

02/13/09 ............I-130 sent

02/16/09 ............I-130 delivered

02/23/09.............NOA1

02/24/09.............Touched

02/28/09............ NOA1 Hard Copy

03/25/09.............NOA2

03/30/09.............NOA2 Hard Copy

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

04/17/09.............DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

04/17/09.............DS-3032 sent (email+mail)

04/17/09.............AOS PAID (online)

04/20/09.............AOS package sent

04/20/09.............DS-3032 accepted

04/22/09.............IV Fee bill generated

04/22/09.............IV bill PAID (online)

04/27/09.............DS-230 sent to NVC

04/30/09.............Case under Final Review

05/07/09.............RFE (Ques 20 DS-230)

05/09/09.............Resend DS-230

05/13/09.............DS-230 Received and Under Review

05/20/09.............Case complete at NVC

Embassy Journey

06-08-09.............Case Arrived at Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

06-22-09.............Medical Exam

07-29-09.............Visa Interview

07-29-09.............Visa Approved

08-05-09.............Visa in Hand

08-24-09.............POE - (San Francisco, California)

09-04-09.............Green Card Arrived in Mail

12-04-09.............SSN Card Arrived in Mail

.png

Timeline
you will have to show up at the Su Tu Phap and sign the marriage certificate, there is no power of attorney letter around it. I tried the same thing, have a letter explaining that I have work..etc.. The people at the Su Tu Phap and my own lawyer said that no matter what, I have to show up to sign the marriage certificate

Haha...I hope you had to be there to sign the marriage registration... :);) If not, your lawyer is one lucky man...(to be married to your wife...) :)

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline
ok thanks

But i am wanting to have everything done before i go to vietnam so i can get married a few days after i land. How can i make this possible??

Thanks

wreath

Expect a few weeks after you land to be able to get married.

Timeline

I was able to get everything done in the two weeks I was there to get married. ~$100 floated around to rush things. The registration occurred the day after our ceremonies and a day before I flew back to the US (luckily!).

My advice: prepare EVERYTHING required (per the website) here in the US (including the medical--just in case). It'll take about 2 weeks (maybe quicker if you use expedited service) to get everything notarized and certified. When you get to VN go get your medical there in VN and then get to the So Tu Phap and start the filing process. The filing process will include an interview. Once you finish that day's work, it'll take some time for them to approve and they'll let you know. Then a few days later after they call and tell you you're approved, you go back to the same office and sign the marriage book and get your marriage certificate.

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline
I was able to get everything done in the two weeks I was there to get married. ~$100 floated around to rush things. The registration occurred the day after our ceremonies and a day before I flew back to the US (luckily!).

My advice: prepare EVERYTHING required (per the website) here in the US (including the medical--just in case). It'll take about 2 weeks (maybe quicker if you use expedited service) to get everything notarized and certified. When you get to VN go get your medical there in VN and then get to the So Tu Phap and start the filing process. The filing process will include an interview. Once you finish that day's work, it'll take some time for them to approve and they'll let you know. Then a few days later after they call and tell you you're approved, you go back to the same office and sign the marriage book and get your marriage certificate.

Two weeks is the fastest I have heard of it being done. Guess some coffee money helps after all. Have heard of it taking longer than a month at times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.