Dan and Ali

Letter of consent help, please!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone.

I had my interview today at the Vancouver consulate. I have a child from a previous relationship and I provided a letter of consent from her father but unfortunately, the CO who interviewed me felt that the letter should have stronger wording. I'm looking for suggestions -- a template, perhaps? -- that could be used. For the record, this is the wording that was provided on the letter the CO did not like:

I, _____, give permission for my child, _______, to immigrate to the US with her mother, ________ on a K-2 visa. I have no objections to the immigration and intended permanent resident status.

I took this wording from the packet 3 document itself (it states that the other parent must write a letter of consent saying they have no objections) and told the CO this ... to which she replied, "I am prepared to accept this letter if you cannot obtain something stronger but I would strongly encourage you to get something with more firm wording". Suggestions, please?

I was given a document stating I am required to provide evidence of custody (the CO wrote beside it "A letter stating permission for child to immigrate") and our passports were given back to us. We were told our visa in a state of temporary refusal.

Thanks in advance for all contributions. And again, I apologise if this is the wrong forum ... I am a bit flustered.

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Timeline

Anyone? :(

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ali,

Here's my input for what it's worth. I would re-word the letter to something like I've posted below. Of course I would have this notarized.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I, (FULL NAME OF FATHER), BIOLOGICAL FATHER OF (FULL NAME OF CHILD), DO HEREBY GIVE MY WRITTEN CONSENT for her to immigrate to the United States of America as a K2 visa holder, accompanying her biological mother, (FULL NAME OF MOTHER), as a K1 visa holder, with intent to become a citizen of named country.

This Letter of Consent is being issued this ____ day of _______________ 2010 at (PLACE OF ISSUE) in compliance with immigration requirements for unmarried minors immigrating to the United States of America not accompanied by or joining either parent.

__________________________ ___________________________

PRINTED NAME OF FATHER PRINTED NAME OF MOTHER

SIGNATURE OF FATHER SIGNATURE OF MOTHER

AOS, EAD & AP sent: 4/9/10

NOA1: 4/19/10

Biometrics Appt: 5/26/10

Timeline

Also, someone mentioned a bit ago in another thread that they obtained a Certificate of Non-Marriage (from Manitoba?), as they were never married and had no legal evidence of custody arrangements, as there weren't any.

I thought I would help you out and called Alberta Registries, Vital Statistics in Edmonton at Tel: (780) 427-7013 to ask if they have similar certificates available. She said they do not offer a cert of non-marriage, but they will do a serch for marriage over a specified 3 year time period. If no marriage license found, that's what the search will state. Granted this is just for Alberta and only over a three year period. The cost is $40 ($20 to govt, $20 to agent) and takes approx. 5 business days to process once form received, then mail time. You can print the form at http://servicealberta.ca/pdf/vs/REG3023.pdf. Again, this doesn't exactly state you have custody, but may be somewhat helpful, in conjunction with a more specific notarized letter from the father, in getting your visas approved.

Best of luck to you both...really!!! :)

Timeline

Ooops! I just noticed I forgot to remove "not accompanied by or joining either parent" from my sample consent letter. I combined language I found from a few samples...and can't seem to edit that post.

Edited by bv2116

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Anyone? :(

I am not going to write the letter for you but will tell you what it must contain

1. Name, address and date of birth of father

2. Same for mother

3. Same for child

4. MUST state he agrees (or is aware of the mother's plans and does not object to) to PERMANENT RELOCATION to the UNITED STATES.

5. state that the purpose is to obtain a K-2 visa and that the letter is valid until..........(child's 18th birthdate) for all travel to and from Canada (or whatever country) and the USA (we need this letter for our youngest son whenever we visit Ukraine, you will need it even after he has a green card

Anything else it says is fine and what ever format you want to use really shouldn't matter as long as all the information is included therein. The letter should be notarized and you need a copy of the photo and signature page of the father's passport (or other government ID) to attach to it.

Give the consulate the ORIGNAL and a COPY. DO NOT leave without being returned the original, or if you must send it, then get TWO original signature letters as you will need it in the future also.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thank you for your replies :) I have drafted a copy of the letter and will get my daughter's father to sign it today. And thanks for the tip about keeping the original or obtaining two originals Gary ... I had wondered how it would all work out in the future.

Thanks again!

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

• 10 years later...
On 1/29/2010 at 9:10 PM, bv2116 said:

Ali,

Here's my input for what it's worth. I would re-word the letter to something like I've posted below. Of course I would have this notarized.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I, (FULL NAME OF FATHER), BIOLOGICAL FATHER OF (FULL NAME OF CHILD), DO HEREBY GIVE MY WRITTEN CONSENT for her to immigrate to the United States of America as a K2 visa holder, accompanying her biological mother, (FULL NAME OF MOTHER), as a K1 visa holder, with intent to become a citizen of named country.

This Letter of Consent is being issued this ____ day of _______________ 2010 at (PLACE OF ISSUE) in compliance with immigration requirements for unmarried minors immigrating to the United States of America not accompanied by or joining either parent.

PRINTED NAME OF FATHER PRINTED NAME OF MOTHER

SIGNATURE OF FATHER SIGNATURE OF MOTHER

Hi! I am going through the same , could you please tell me in which step of the process you have to submit this lett r of consent ? I am about to sent form I 130 for my daughter but on the uscis website there isn't any mention of that... Do I have to submit bit during the final step interview at my local embassy?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.