calihani

Total fees for K1 just to get here

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You would think there would be some kind of grandfather clause for these policies. It's kind of like going to the grocery store and knowing you spent $200.00, then getting to the check out line and being told "Sorry your new total is $300.00. We raised the prices while you were shopping."

:blink:

I feel your pain and know many people who will be impacted. However, it is critical to understand that Walmart is not Sears. You filed a petition with USCIS (Walmart). The foreigner applies for a visa through the Dept. of State (Sears). Your only walk in to Sears and make a single purchase. If they raise the price BEFORE you walk in the door, it has nothing to do with your Walmart shopping.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

The entire concept of DOS accepting public comments for 60 days is laughable. The government had already made its decision BEFORE they ever posted the proposed fee increases, and no matter the public outcry - these fee increases will go into effect when the DOS decides to implement them.

DOS fully realizes that whether the fee is $131, $355 or more we'll pay them in order to get our loved ones here. USCIS and DOS have never contemplated the cost in money, time or heartache to its petitioners or beneficiaries and they surely won't start now.

I appreciate pushbrk's analogy of Sears and Walmart, but in his example - if you don't like Sears price you're free to shop at Walmart. In our case, the only store that's open is DOS, and their customer service department sucks!

Alan

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
The entire concept of DOS accepting public comments for 60 days is laughable. The government had already made its decision BEFORE they ever posted the proposed fee increases, and no matter the public outcry - these fee increases will go into effect when the DOS decides to implement them.

DOS fully realizes that whether the fee is $131, $355 or more we'll pay them in order to get our loved ones here. USCIS and DOS have never contemplated the cost in money, time or heartache to its petitioners or beneficiaries and they surely won't start now.

I appreciate pushbrk's analogy of Sears and Walmart, but in his example - if you don't like Sears price you're free to shop at Walmart. In our case, the only store that's open is DOS, and their customer service department sucks!

Alan

Agreed. The point is that DOS isn't raising the fees while you're shopping with them. They're raising the fees before you shop there. That you already bought something at USCIS has no bearing on DOS. It's not "the government", it's two separate government agencies.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Has anyone heard of any increase on the AOS part? We hope that we can make the AOS before the pull a hugh fee increase on that part of our step. I don't mind paying like 20-30% more but if it goes 50% or more percent then we going to have a though time as the move is costing a bit of money already. I will have enough money just it's going to be tight on the budget around here.

Timeline

Absolutely it's two government agencies, which makes it all the worse....

The equitible remedy would be that whomever had I-129F's in process BEFORE the date of the rate increase would be "grandfathered" in at the current rate. Notice I said "equitible" - The fact that the government is involved removes any essence of logic or equity. When the time comes, I'll pay the fee and be happy to have Vanessa here.

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Okay, this is purely speculation on my part, but the last time they raised the fee there was a brief period of time after the published rule change and the implementation. I can not find the post now, but essentially it was published mid-month and gave a short grace-period before kicking in. Unless your interview is within a couple weeks of the rule change, then you are going to be out the additional fee. It really sucks that they can not grandfather it for those of us who started the journey months before the proposed rule change was announced. Our interview is March 10th, I am hoping that we can get in under the effect, but I am planning on paying the additional amount. I guess March 1st is a good time to look for potential announcements. Good luck! :thumbs:

This is a consulate fee for the visa. USCIS is looking at raising all fees (petition and AOS) across the board 50-100% sometime this year. Hold on to your wallet folks, it is going to get bumpy.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Absolutely it's two government agencies, which makes it all the worse....

The equitible remedy would be that whomever had I-129F's in process BEFORE the date of the rate increase would be "grandfathered" in at the current rate. Notice I said "equitible" - The fact that the government is involved removes any essence of logic or equity. When the time comes, I'll pay the fee and be happy to have Vanessa here.

I can tell you from a very good c=source, the USCIS will absolutely not be equitable. If you paid the $455 fee for the petition and the AOS goes up before the petition is approved, you will pay the higher fee for the AOS.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary and Alla,

I fully expect that USCIS will raise fees across the board. As soon as the DOS fee increase takes effect I would imagine that USCIS will announce their "proposal" to increase fees (ie: I-129F, AOS, etc)...

If (when) the proposed $355 DOS interview fee takes place, I would expect USCIS to raise their petition fees proportionally. Realistically I would expect I-129F fees to increase to over $600 and AOS fees to increase to $1500. Sadly, we will all pay these fees to bring/keep our loved ones here to the USA.

Alan

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.