Wis-Can

Tele-file Revenue Canada

13 posts in this topic

Hi to all my fellow Canadians. Does anyone know if you can still do the Telefile for Revenue Canada to file your income tax?

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved from Off Topic to the Canada Regional Forum - I have it under good information that many Canadians don't visit the Off Topic forum, so you will find more of them to answer your question here :) .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

not sure about telefile but the netfile can still be done but it only opens feb 15th, and only if they already have your new address etc. which can be doen by logging in to your account.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually yeah, that is an important point kimbear - everyone should sign up for an account if they don't have one - you can view your older tax assessments, modify your return, change your address etc etc there.

You can sign up here:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/nd...t/menu-eng.html

Before you start you need to get this information:

•To register for a Government of Canada epass and enrol with My Account for individuals or My Business Account, you will need to the following personal information ready:

◦your SIN;

◦your date of birth;

◦a copy of your last filed and processed income tax and benefit return for individuals; and

◦your current postal code or ZIP code if you live in the United States. If you live outside Canada or the United States, the postal code or ZIP code is not required.

Timeline

i did this last year created the epass etc. was a bit of a pain cuz you can't officially use it until you get a code from the govt by mail. then once you have that with all the other stuff you can actually log in and use the service. but its fantastic. you get access to every return you did for the last few years etc. you can change direct deposit info for gst ccb etc.

HWDWm6.png

I do have an epass account already set up. I just wasn't sure about the telefile thing. Thanks everyone for the responses.

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I do have an epass account already set up. I just wasn't sure about the telefile thing. Thanks everyone for the responses.

Yeah, I kind of hijacked your thread with that response lol

I don't remember when you actually moved Wis-Can, but if you were considered a non-resident as of December 31st last year, you probably won't be able to use tele-file either i'm guessing.

When you do find out the answer can you post it here then we will all know for future reference. :)

I tried telefiling the year after I moved, and it stated specifically at that time that I couldn't. I used some on-line tax program, printed it off, and mailed it. I believe it has to be mailed to a specific address in Ottawa if you're living outside the country at the time of filing.There was a thread some time ago about this. As well, the time frame for refunds is MUCH slower. Like 3-5 months before you get a refund.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I tried telefiling the year after I moved, and it stated specifically at that time that I couldn't. I used some on-line tax program, printed it off, and mailed it. I believe it has to be mailed to a specific address in Ottawa if you're living outside the country at the time of filing.There was a thread some time ago about this. As well, the time frame for refunds is MUCH slower. Like 3-5 months before you get a refund.

I believe Carla is correct = you can only Netfile if your reside within Canada.....if you're out of country, you're mailing to an entirely different office .

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Heh, if it's a 3-5 month wait for a refund back, hopefully they won't mind waiting 3-5 months for anything I might owe them? :P

When I called the Non-Resident phone number, I was given the International Tax Office address to file at.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Yeah, I kind of hijacked your thread with that response lol

I don't remember when you actually moved Wis-Can, but if you were considered a non-resident as of December 31st last year, you probably won't be able to use tele-file either i'm guessing.

When you do find out the answer can you post it here then we will all know for future reference. :)

I moved in September of last year. I will have to just send in the ole' paper copy....I do have my package sitting back in Nova Scotia at my friends place. I'll get her to mail it to me. The telefiling was just so fast. Oh well. Thanks for the responses.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.