Ggreen

Removing Bible references from gun sights.

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...y-weapons_N.htm

By Todd Spangler, Detroit Free Press

WASHINGTON — A Michigan-based company will stop putting biblical references on weapon scopes and other products made for the U.S. military and is sending the Pentagon kits to remove the references from weaponry already in the hands of American troops.

Trijicon Inc. announced the change in policy Thursday after it was learned through media reports that the company has for decades placed Christian references on rifle sights used by the military. The company defended the practice in a statement Wednesday saying it included the biblical references as "part of our faith and our belief in service to our country."

Today, however, after the Army and the Marine Corps said they would review the practice — which came as a surprise to both — the company opted to change its practice, it said, "in response to concerns raised by the Department of Defense."

I was sad to see this.

It's time companies started standing up for their values.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I was sad to see this.

It's time companies started standing up for their values.

The problem we're fighting in Muslim country, lead by religious zealots. Their best tool for recuiting additional men and support is the claim that Americans are 'invading' their country with the sole purpose of converting their people to Christianity; so you don't want soldiers with weapons covered with a christian verse. It gives credence to the claims of our the enemies and therefor endangers our troops, by allowing our enemies to increase their ranks from the general populace.

Dead is dead, but being killed by a 'Christian' gun will make a martyr out of them and nobody wants that.

You have to understand the enemy you fight or you will never win. Standing up for company values ends if it risks endangering the life of our troops.

What values are being expressed by putting Bible inscriptions on guns?

Its kind of obscene.

The movie Apocalypse Now covers this one nicely - "We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them write '**' on their airplanes because it's obscene."

Throughout history, being a soldier has been a noble profession. Even though engaged in war, and arguably, sin, it's typically been looked upon with some sort of moral character. Adding Bible references to a weapons sight makes perfect sense because the soldiers are out guarding our way of life - a moral way of life - so there should be a moral reference to their moral actions on their weapons sights because the company that manufactures them is a moral company.

Morality, pass it around! :thumbs:

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

You have to understand the enemy you fight or you will never win. Standing up for company values ends if it risks endangering the life of our troops.

I doubt the soldiers share your sentiment. I don't think any of them would agree their lives are more at risk because of their weapon sights or any inscriptions appearing on same.

By your rationale, Obama's actions of proclaiming us NOT to be a Christian nation should've already saved most of our deployed forces from further harm.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The movie Apocalypse Now covers this one nicely - "We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them write '**' on their airplanes because it's obscene."

Throughout history, being a soldier has been a noble profession. Even though engaged in war, and arguably, sin, it's typically been looked upon with some sort of moral character. Adding Bible references to a weapons sight makes perfect sense because the soldiers are out guarding our way of life - a moral way of life - so there should be a moral reference to their moral actions on their weapons sights because the company that manufactures them is a moral company.

There is nothing inherently moral about slapping Bible verses on guns, All it does is subvert the meaning behind the scripture.

The only reason they do it is because the company's founders were a bunch of old testament zealots.

Morality and religion have nothing to do with one another. I know plenty of immoral religious persons and vice versa.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Morality and religion have nothing to do with one another. I know plenty of immoral religious persons and vice versa.

:thumbs:

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline
There is nothing inherently moral about slapping Bible verses on guns, All it does is subvert the meaning behind the scripture.

The only reason they do it is because the company's founders were a bunch of old testament zealots.

First of all, some (if not all) the "coded" numbers and letters referred to New Testament scriptures, so I doubt the Scope makers were "Old testament zealots" as you wrongly charge.

Secondly if they were "zealots' of any kind they would not have put these coded references so inconspiculuously.

There is a long Christian tradition of doing quality work and doing -all things to glorify God, one famous example is the well known Shaker Furniture.

Christians artisans have long signed or marked their work with such messages.

As it was so insignificantly done, I fail to see where this has any real meaning to anyone but the manufacturer. In fact it would take the resources of Bored troops to even crack the code as it were.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What substantive difference do you think that makes?

Putting verses from the New Testament onto weapons of war is doubly obscene to anyone with a christian beliefs.

I should say it should be obscene to anyone, except those Christians who are into the fire and brimstone / divine retribution aspect of things.

I say Old Testament because there are militant "Christians" in this country who claim to subscribe to the New Testament, but in word and deed, derive more inspiration from the Old.

Face it, its a bit nutty.

Putting verses from the New Testament onto weapons of war is doubly obscene to anyone with a christian beliefs.

I should say it should be obscene to anyone, except those Christians who are into the fire and brimstone / divine retribution aspect of things.

I say Old Testament because there are militant "Christians" in this country who claim to subscribe to the New Testament, but in word and deed, derive more inspiration from the Old.

What if I had a tattoo on my palm that said John 3:16 and slapped you with it, would I be a christian wacko?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Timeline

I'm sure all the Christians will be grateful for your "insight" on the relationship between Christians and weapons.

:whistle:

Next up: HUnt helps Muslims understand the deeper mysteries of their faith too.

;)

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn