SunDrop

Wedding Planning from the UK Chat

62 posts in this topic

I'm sure the buttercream is the frosting that would collect the dust as it's a much softer icing. The fondant is almost like a shell so chances of it getting "stuck" on it would be far less.

Yup, and the butter cream is under the fondant, so wouldn't be exposted to the air.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Ohhhhhhhh bother. Was thinking of going with sponge cake (instead of fruit cake, which is very English! lol) and using a buttercream as 'glue' for a rolled fondant outside, which is what makes cakes look pro-smooth.

Is there any way you might be able to find out for me, which is the right one for dust avoidance? I'll be ever so grateful. I'd get the fella onto it, but considering all his friends are guys..... LOL. He's not much into cakes either.

I'm a little worried about going for the 8.30 - 4.30 option, because it's still going to be hot in mid September, which is when we're likely to be having it. Doesn't look like there's a lot of shade. If we had the ceremony at say 12.30, spending 4 hours standing in the blazing sunshine with little shade is not going to be much fun.

And of course, now that I've started thinking about it, I'd much prefer the day option because having put my head together with my MOH, we're thinking 'English Tea Party' theme.

Mum keeps trying to tell me I insist on making life more complicated than it need be! lol

Yeah, maybe it was butter cream.

(One of) my favorite restaurants is in Tucson at Tohono Chul. Maybe they do events...They certainly have more shade...http://www.tohonochulpark.org/wordpress/dine/rentals/

Or rent one of the garden venues for the ceremony and then all go to the patio of the tea room for the rest...

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Yup, and the butter cream is under the fondant, so wouldn't be exposted to the air.

I haven't been on this thread for a while, but I'm having wonderful mental images of me taking a feather duster to my wedding cake :D

Publix all the way for me. Fortunately Mr. Jess's parents have offered to pay for the cake, cos it really wasn't something I was that arsed about paying for. I would have happily picked up a chocolate sheet cake from Tesco!!

J

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

I need that special someone to agree to a wedding date. Difficult to do! He says we will plan when he gets here in Feb. As of right now I have two spreadsheets on Google Docs that I wish he would help with. One is the wedding budget with a column for priorities and the other a guestlist with different sheets for us to add people to based on if we will invite them to our UK bash next year or our US reception this year.

I am liking the idea of a civil ceremony and a party a couple of months later because I was raised religious and don't want to live together before marriage.

Since I do not have a date I have been printing off ads and websites and putting them in a binder. There are 2 wedding venues I like. One is an indoor pavillion in a park that has a fireplace, kitchen area, tables and chairs for about $400 for the afternoon. The other is a community arts center in the next city. That goes for $110 an hour since I am not a resident of that city. Both would be perfect as I want to have more control over my wedding and keep the entire budget under $2k.

My dress has been in the closet since about 6 weeks after he proposed. It is a Maggie Sottero I bought off of alocal online classified site like craigslist. I got it for an insane price. I love that I bought it used and don't feel bad because I know I won't use more than once.

The dress has beading that is slightly lavender and is a unique one strap cut. I was originally going to go very modest, but when I saw this online I decided to go meet the seller and try it on. First one I looked at and I bought it on the spot. My sister said that if I dont get my weight back down and need to buy another dress she would GLADLY take this one.

What is everyone thinking about for invitations?? I haven't found anything I really love yet. Also, are you planning to serve any foods that are traditionally UK? I have been joking around with Dave that we should serve Irn Bru. :D

Sounds like you're doing what I'm doing in the way of costs and spreadsheets that haven't seen the light of day at the US end!

I got my :star: beautiful :star: dress made for me when I was visiting my parents who live in HK. I bought the silk and had the dress made for about £300 all up. I used a pattern that I found in vintage vogue patterns years ago and just kept in case I ever got married. I'm so pleased with it. It's just what I wanted and totally unique. I also had a silk jacket made to go with it just in case we end up having to wait until Autumn or Winter to do the wedding.

We were talking about doing a registry office legal thing and then having a wedding, but now I've got the dress I'm keen just to do the wedding. It will be small and intimate anyway to save costs and since most of my friends/family are in NZ or the UK I don't have many guests and Yuri's family is still mostly in Russia so he's in the same boat. Would be helpful if I could really start to plan but don't want to get ahead of myself in case the visa process is delayed.

It sounds lovely. And wonderful that your sister could come. Do you have pictures? :) Maggiano's is great. A friend of work had their reception there as well.

Sounds like Maggiano's is the place to go. I was considering there too. They have private function rooms which is great. And Indianapolis just seems to be the back of beyond for good restaurants. Unless anyone knows anywhere?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Sounds like Maggiano's is the place to go. I was considering there too. They have private function rooms which is great. And Indianapolis just seems to be the back of beyond for good restaurants. Unless anyone knows anywhere?

Hi Y&E

Maggiani's was lovely and the staff were great. We didnt't hire a room as it was 3:30 pm and not that busy and we almost had the restaurant to ourselves. Management gave us free champagne which was lovely. We opted for the family style meal with the light meal option. We chose 2 starters, 2 salads and 2 pastas and it came with lemon cookies for dessert. At first we didn't think there would be enough but the great thing is that they just keep bringing out food until you say you're full so we were glad we didn't go for the full dinner option...definitely worth every penny spent!

I actually went down to the restaurant before hand and chose where I wanted to sit. The staff were great and really helped to make our day more special.

K1
12.1.09 interview - APPROVED!!!
12.21.09 wedding

AOS
12.22.09 Application sent overnight
6.22.10 Green Card approved

ROC

Oct 2012

Naturalization

04.02.13 Application received

04.20.13 Biometrics

Hi Y&E

Maggiani's was lovely and the staff were great. We didnt't hire a room as it was 3:30 pm and not that busy and we almost had the restaurant to ourselves. Management gave us free champagne which was lovely. We opted for the family style meal with the light meal option. We chose 2 starters, 2 salads and 2 pastas and it came with lemon cookies for dessert. At first we didn't think there would be enough but the great thing is that they just keep bringing out food until you say you're full so we were glad we didn't go for the full dinner option...definitely worth every penny spent!

I actually went down to the restaurant before hand and chose where I wanted to sit. The staff were great and really helped to make our day more special.

We did the "rehearsal" dinner at Maggianos and did the family option. Definitely stuffed just on the first offering they brought out! And enough options to satisfy vegetarians and nut allergies as well as omnivores.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Hi Y&E

Thanks for that info. We go there when we're in Chicago and we went there at New Year in Indy so I know about the portion sizes! That sounds like a similar set up as their NY Eve deal.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Davids bridal have another $99 sale until march 22nd just thought i'd let everyone no it starts on the 6th so take a look if your still looking for that perfect dress

Feb 28 2015 - N400 Sent

Mar 21 2011 - Green card arrived - done with the USCIS for 21 months
Mar 14 2011 - Green card ordered
Mar 14 2011 - AOS interview Approved
Feb 15 2011 - EAD card arrived
Jan 25 2011 - EAD card ordered
Jan 18 2011 - Biometric appointment Tampa Fl
Nov 18 2010 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD
Nov 13 2010 - Sent application to AOS

Oct 23 2010 - Wedding day - Las Vegas LDS Temple
Oct 05 2010 - POE Charlotte NC
Jul 15 2010 - Interview date at 8:00am - Approved
Apr 28 2010 - Received P4 with Jun 10 2010 interview date (need to change)
Apr 20 2010 - Sent of P3
Apr 20 2010 - Medical in London
Mar 23 2010 - NVC sent case to London
Mar 22 2010 - NVC got our case - London case # issued
Mar 17 2010 - NOA2 approved and our 1 year anniversary
Dec 12 2009 - NOA1 hard copy
Dec 02 2009 - I-129F posted via USPS

Love is what happens through the grace of God and it is he who blesses its and allows it to grow

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Our plans changed and I was glad we didn't have elaborate wedding plans anytime soon. I had a string of really bad luck last Thursday when my truck was sandwiched in a freeway crash and then the other car refused to run until I put a new battery in it. Then the next day I found out the plumbing in my condo is going to need a LOT of work and the HOA is assessing $500 each condo. That's life for you though!!!!!!!!

We got our wedding license on Friday, then married Monday March 1st wearing tshirts and jeans while drinking wine in a friends kitchen. As we had no vows we plan on saying them on our Australian vacation at the end of 2011... yay for getting the beach wedding I always wanted!!!!!!

Then a reception here after, which works because Salt Lake City is beautiful in the winter. How weird is it that we signed all the papers but have no money to celebrate for over a year? LMAO.. this immigration thing is so weird. I'm just ecstatic that we're finally together!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

What a great thread! I'm so glad I found it.:) I'm having such a hard time trying to figure out when we can even HAVE the wedding, let alone any of the things like cakes or colors. I would love to have a Christmas wedding, since he proposed on Christmas Day, but then I'm not crazy about having red and green be our colors! I'm thinking robin's egg blue and mocha brown, but I said the word "brown" to him and he made this face at me, "Brown? At a wedding?" I'm tempted to leave it to him because he is so much better at making decisions like these -- I'm much more likely to just go with the flow, and he's got a much better sense of style than me anyway! :lol:

Anyways, all these hints for finding dresses and places like weddingbee.com are awesome! :star:

"It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love"

~Robert Browning~

event.png

My blog, where I ramble on occasionally:

Melissa's Meanderings

• 1 month later...

Fianlly have time to start thinking about a wedding now. It's still all up in the air though and I don't know if we'll do our blessing this year because my best friend whom I really want to be there can't come in Sept / Oct which is when we were looking at doing it because her wedding is in November :-( I hope that I will be able to get back to NZ to go to her wedding. I would be really sad if neither of us could get to each others' weddings!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well we are another couple who have everything sorted before the visa.

I have offered to help a few times, but her folks seem to have it all under control. I do feel a little left out though.

It's going to be a fairly simple affair in their back yard (but with about 120 guests). There are a few 'theatrics' with people who have been invited though. :angry: I wish people could / would put aside their differences for 1 day!

7 weeks tomorrow and we will be having our final hours as single people. :luv:

1990(-ish): Family Holiday to FL. Met Nicole & family.

1990(-ish) - 1992(-ish): A few return visits

08-09/2007: Go back to FL. Meet with 'the folks' & Accept that we both 'like' each other & start dating.

02/2008 - Present: ...go back to FL again a few times.

09/2009: Propose and she says 'Yes'! :D

11/06/2009: I-129F posted to VSC

11/07/2009: I-129F received at VSC

11/09/2009: NOA1

11/13/2009: Touch

12/2009: ...back to FL once again

03/08/2010: Touch & NOA2 (119 Days)

03/11/2010: NVC have my case

03/12/2010: NVC incorrectly assigned & dispatched case to Dublin, not London!

03/18/2010: Package arrived in Dublin

03/19/2010: Ring Dublin and get case transferred to London

04/01/2010: London Sent 'P3'

04/03/2010: I Received 'P3'

04/14/2010: 'P3' sent back to embassy

04/16/2010: 'P3' recieved at embassy

04/29/2010: Medical - Passed

06/17/2010: Interview - In AP (220 Days)

08/17/2010: AP Finished - Approved

event.png

event.png

Well we are another couple who have everything sorted before the visa.

I have offered to help a few times, but her folks seem to have it all under control. I do feel a little left out though.

It's going to be a fairly simple affair in their back yard (but with about 120 guests). There are a few 'theatrics' with people who have been invited though. :angry: I wish people could / would put aside their differences for 1 day!

7 weeks tomorrow and we will be having our final hours as single people. :luv:

Theatrics?...... You should see how my family is when it comes to drama and family gatherings......I am eloping as far as they are concerned. Seriously. No way would I try and have a dream day full of joy and love with them about. That would be akin to having a dozen two year olds fighting over a single chocolate chip cookie. (it would look like that too!) Everyone would want it, take credit for it, devour it, leaving nothing for anyone else in the room.

As for feeling left out.... Do your self a favor..... simply plan something to add to your day that they are not apart of....make it all you for you and your SO. For instance....try pulling the person off to the side who is marrying you and asking them to give you a moment of time in which you can speak your own special words to your SO during your vows. Or you can decide to have some special gift done for your wedding party. Don't allow your self to be left out. After all it is your day as well. Good luck!

You can stand me at the gates of hell, but I wont back down.
AOS Filed 02/01 however used wrong forms
refiled 2/22
NOA 3/1
BIO 3/18
Transfer 3/14
Touched 3/18
AP Approved 4/14(WASN'T UPDATED ON SIGHT OR TEXED TILL 4/18)
EAD Approved 4/14(WASN'T UPDATED ON SIGHT OR TEXED TILL 4/18)
GREEN CARD APPROVED WITH NO
INTERVIEW AND NO HAVING
TO TRANSCRIBE HIS SHOT RECORDS! 4/18!(WASN'T NOTIFIED TILL 4/19)

Applied for lifting of conditions 02/27/2013
NOA1 March 4
BIO April 2

RFE received 07/25

Returned RFE recieved 08/19

NOW WAITING WITH BAITED BREATH

APPROVED 9/9/2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
As for feeling left out.... Do your self a favor..... simply plan something to add to your day that they are not apart of....make it all you for you and your SO. For instance....try pulling the person off to the side who is marrying you and asking them to give you a moment of time in which you can speak your own special words to your SO during your vows. Or you can decide to have some special gift done for your wedding party. Don't allow your self to be left out. After all it is your day as well. Good luck!

It's more the organization of it all i feel a little missing on, and really i'm not missing out on too much. I get the best part of the deal at the end of the day. ;)

HER! :hehe::luv:

Edited by arwilson80

1990(-ish): Family Holiday to FL. Met Nicole & family.

1990(-ish) - 1992(-ish): A few return visits

08-09/2007: Go back to FL. Meet with 'the folks' & Accept that we both 'like' each other & start dating.

02/2008 - Present: ...go back to FL again a few times.

09/2009: Propose and she says 'Yes'! :D

11/06/2009: I-129F posted to VSC

11/07/2009: I-129F received at VSC

11/09/2009: NOA1

11/13/2009: Touch

12/2009: ...back to FL once again

03/08/2010: Touch & NOA2 (119 Days)

03/11/2010: NVC have my case

03/12/2010: NVC incorrectly assigned & dispatched case to Dublin, not London!

03/18/2010: Package arrived in Dublin

03/19/2010: Ring Dublin and get case transferred to London

04/01/2010: London Sent 'P3'

04/03/2010: I Received 'P3'

04/14/2010: 'P3' sent back to embassy

04/16/2010: 'P3' recieved at embassy

04/29/2010: Medical - Passed

06/17/2010: Interview - In AP (220 Days)

08/17/2010: AP Finished - Approved

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.