Ken1

Is AP normally for emergency travel?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

In response to my last post about AP, someone responded that AP was usually used for emergency travel. I was honest in our AP request and put that we had a trip planned that was more or less a family vacation and I requested a one time AP. In retrospect, I feel that perhaps I should have requested a multiple use AP and stated that it was for our family trip and also in case of emergency if something were to happy to someone in my wife or stepdaughter's family. I thought I had followed the guides here on VJ carefully and people told me to just be honest about my travel. Was that a mistake? Will we be approved for AP? I've also seen a lot of posts about how no one gets turned down for AP - I hope we're not the first!!! Also, we've been waiting for Ap since November 17th (our received date for AOS and AP) - any thoughts on when we could expect to receive it (or trip is planned for Feb. 13th!).

Thanks!

K

11410.gif

AP is used for a variety of reasons - emergencies are just one of them. Whatever you use it for is your business.

You'll get 2 AP documents to use so everyone gets 'multiples'.

SA4userbar.jpg

:time:

Sorry I don't have any advice, I didn't do an info pass for exp.AP but put a letter in mine requesting it so that I could be home for my dad's heart surgery. I have heard nothing, other then an RFE for the AOS. Good luck and I hope you hear something soon. Are you close to a USCIS that you could do an infopass appointment?

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Normally AP's is only suppose to be used for compelling emergencies.

However, USCIS gives a broad approval for most applications - so you should be ok.

AP is good for one year - you will get two, take both with you, CBP may take one, and you will use the other. (CBP will put an entry stamp on it)

(always keep one with you, and if you only have one, advise them of that fact so they don't take it)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
Normally AP's is only suppose to be used for compelling emergencies.

However, USCIS gives a broad approval for most applications - so you should be ok.

AP is good for one year - you will get two, take both with you, CBP may take one, and you will use the other. (CBP will put an entry stamp on it)

(always keep one with you, and if you only have one, advise them of that fact so they don't take it)

Is it AP that's supposed to be used for compelling emergencies, or an info pass for an even more excellerated approval of AP in the case of emergency? I thought AP was just set up so that one is able to travel before receiving a Green Card, but not necessarily for an emergency.

11410.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

AP is for emergent travel... now all that needs be done is to define emergent

the dictionary says "occurring unexpectedly"

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
AP is for emergent travel... now all that needs be done is to define emergent

the dictionary says "occurring unexpectedly"

According to this definition, perhaps I did the wrong thing, and should have put in my application that we wanted AP in the case that some unexpected emergency were to occur. Again, I tried to follow the advice of VJers on this one and when in a post a while back I asked about this, I was advised to just mention the trip we had planned. Do you think we'll be denied?

Also, I now set up an infopass meeting for next Friday, Jan. 22nd. Assuming we haven't heard anything by then, any advice for that meeting?

K

Edited by Ken1
11410.gif

I put exactly what you did and got AP 2 months after applying. It may be for emergent travel, but that is not how it is given/used. Now it is for travel before the gc. The infopass is for true emergencies.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greenland
Timeline

The Advance Parole document is the document you use so your case isn't considered abandoned when you depart the united states. It doesn't have to be for a emergency or compeling reason. Just a travel document that you need to travel with. The AP is usualy for multiple uses, may wish to contact Customs and Border Protection on this. Form takes 3 months at max to process. After its been 3 months, call NCSC to put in a request for the Outside of normal processing times.

------------------- Time line -------------------

02/01/2011 - I-129F sent VIA Express mail.

/////////////////////////////////////////

02/09/2011 - NOA1 Received

////////////////////////////////////////

05/02/2011 - NOA2 Received

05/02/2011 - Plane ticket bought. Departing for Denmark 05/15/2011.

Ameq has been given a 6 month life expectancy, Please keep her in your prayers.

///////////////////////////////////////

05/30/2011 - National Visa Center Received

//////////////////////////////////////

07/06/2011 - Copenhagen Received

/////////////////////////////////////

07/10/2011 - 7:21 AM - Kolding Sygehus, Kolding, Denmark

Ameq passed away, process withdrawn.

--------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------- LEGAL AGREEMENT -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By taking my opinion or advice, hearby giving up any rights or legal actions that can be used against me under a court of law. The information that has been provided is a basic knowledge of the immigration process and should be taken with a grain of salt.

The Advance Parole document is the document you use so your case isn't considered abandoned when you depart the united states. It doesn't have to be for a emergency or compeling reason. Just a travel document that you need to travel with. The AP is usualy for multiple uses, may wish to contact Customs and Border Protection on this. Form takes 3 months at max to process. After its been 3 months, call NCSC to put in a request for the Outside of normal processing times.

No but if you request expidited service on it, it has to be for "good reason". I believe the OP is looking for that service on the AP. They process them on a first come first serve basis. You have to provide reasons, illness in the family etc. Not because you just want it. When you call the 1-800 # it actually gives examples of reasons for the speedy request of the AP.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.