Hugglebuggles

More name issues

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I mean escalating it to a supervisor. And then the supervisor's supervisor if you have no success.

I think that's a brilliant idea if the name is the problem.

Yeah I mean, I might be wrong, but they said they can give it to you in your maiden name right? So I would just do that... and then go back in a month, don't even mention anything immigration related and hand them your marriage certificate and say you would like to do a name change. Unless there is a deeper issue, this might work.

In NYS you can even do a name change just by calling them.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I tried that angle too Sapphire. They won't give me a license in my maiden name because all of my immigration documents are in my married name, and my SSN is in my married name. But then, they won't give me a license in my married name because when they run me through their immigration clearance system I come up in my maiden name but all of my immigration documents have my married name... :wacko: I know right, I don't get it either. It's a mess. According to the DMV Colorado has a strict rule that all of the names on your documents must match, which includes their immigrant database. So my greencard, SSN, and info in their database need to match exactly or they won't touch me. Unfortunately I know that is a subjective policy and the woman who processed me the first time I went to the DMV flagged me in the computer and has now caused me tons of aggravation. What bothers me is that I have a marriage license and photo ID in my maiden name as well, so I can prove who I am.

The last DMV I went to I talked to a supervisor and she said they couldn't do anything without a S.A.V.E clearance letter since DMV woman #1 flagged me and my information in their computer system. I haven't tried to go back to the DMV since I got the letter, but since it specifically tells the DMV not to issue me a license, and I don't see being able to argue my way out of it. But maybe I could, I don't know. I'm really confused. I just don't want to sit in the DMV for 45 minutes again just for them to give me the same line. I try to argue but it gets me nowhere. All they say is, "I have to go by what my computer says and my computer says I can't issue you a license." So I scheduled an infopass appointment for Friday. I figure they will either tell me what's wrong in the system and how to fix it if they can't do it on the spot, or they will tell me there is nothing wrong and then I can at least go to the DMV and tell them I spoke with a qualified immigration officer at USCIS and was told there is nothing wrong and there is no reason why you can't issue me a license. Does that seem logical to you guys?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I tried that angle too Sapphire. They won't give me a license in my maiden name because all of my immigration documents are in my married name, and my SSN is in my married name. But then, they won't give me a license in my married name because when they run me through their immigration clearance system I come up in my maiden name but all of my immigration documents have my married name... :wacko: I know right, I don't get it either. It's a mess. According to the DMV Colorado has a strict rule that all of the names on your documents must match, which includes their immigrant database. So my greencard, SSN, and info in their database need to match exactly or they won't touch me. Unfortunately I know that is a subjective policy and the woman who processed me the first time I went to the DMV flagged me in the computer and has now caused me tons of aggravation. What bothers me is that I have a marriage license and photo ID in my maiden name as well, so I can prove who I am.

The last DMV I went to I talked to a supervisor and she said they couldn't do anything without a S.A.V.E clearance letter since DMV woman #1 flagged me and my information in their computer system. I haven't tried to go back to the DMV since I got the letter, but since it specifically tells the DMV not to issue me a license, and I don't see being able to argue my way out of it. But maybe I could, I don't know. I'm really confused. I just don't want to sit in the DMV for 45 minutes again just for them to give me the same line. I try to argue but it gets me nowhere. All they say is, "I have to go by what my computer says and my computer says I can't issue you a license." So I scheduled an infopass appointment for Friday. I figure they will either tell me what's wrong in the system and how to fix it if they can't do it on the spot, or they will tell me there is nothing wrong and then I can at least go to the DMV and tell them I spoke with a qualified immigration officer at USCIS and was told there is nothing wrong and there is no reason why you can't issue me a license. Does that seem logical to you guys?

I think it does -- if possible, I would try getting a letter from the person you speak to at the infopass appointment stating that everything is fine.

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

omg Huggle.... they don't make any of this process easy do they. Even the straightforward things get messed up!! *hugs* Hope they figure this out for you soon.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Just a little update if anyone is interested...

I booked an infopass appointment 2 weeks ago at the Denver USCIS office. They pulled up my file and confirmed everything was in my maiden name still. Apprently the issue was that when you tried to look me up in my married name I didn't exist. He had to search me using my A# to even get a result. He said he fixed the name and gave me an "aka" with my maiden name just to clear up any possible discrepency. I asked him for a letter or document showing he changed my information but he said he can't do that.

So, I went to the DMV today and told them the problem has been fixed. Well now the problem is that the SAVE system in Colorado has put a freeze on my file. The woman at the DMV couldn't access or change my information. I guess a big flag comes up that I have not been verified through the SAVE system. So now I have to go back and get cleared through SAVE again, which took 10 weeks last time. The best part is that there is 1 office serving the entire Denver metro and it is only open on Wednesdays for 3 hours.

At least I know whats going on now, sorta.

Timeline

Good heavens! What a rigamarole! Hopefully the SAVE system will kick out the 'all clear' this time and you will get your license.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Huggles... sorry for your trouggles... (k, sorry..) that sounds like such a red tape clusterfvck....

I was wondering, would someone mind explaining, in a nutshell, what the SAVE system is?

Thanks so much...

LGG

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Damn Huggles... when you think youre done with government aggravation for another 2 years when getting your GC...

Goodluck!!!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Yikes huggles! At least you know what the problem was! I'm sorry this is happening to you! Is your Canadian licence still valid in the meantime?

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Oh goodness, Huggles. This is all so insane.

I'm glad at least, like you said, that you somewhat have an idea as to what the bloody problem is already.

Hopefully it all gets cleared up quickly. ((hugs))

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline
Hey Huggles... sorry for your trouggles... (k, sorry..) that sounds like such a red tape clusterfvck....

I was wondering, would someone mind explaining, in a nutshell, what the SAVE system is?

Thanks so much...

LGG

After all this I still don't even know lgg :lol: It's basically a computer system that offices like the DMV and the SSN office use to verify your immigration status when you apply for identification. 9 out of 10 people don't have any problems with this at all.

Yikes huggles! At least you know what the problem was! I'm sorry this is happening to you! Is your Canadian licence still valid in the meantime?

Well, it is still valid, but nobody really knows if I'm allowed to be driving with it anymore. I asked two people at the DMV and the best answer I got was, "I don't know..." Online it says you are suposed to change your license over within 90 days, but it doesn't explicitly say you aren't allowed to drive on your old one. Unfortunately its basically impossible not to drive, so I do it anyways. I try to be smart on the road and let my husband drive whenever we're together, but sometimes I need to go do things on my own.

Good grief, Huggles. Sorry you are having to go through this. :(

You may find the end of the last post in this thread a little bit informative: SSN Name Change

Well, that helps me understand it a little. Its just a little frustrating to read stuff like that and realize that the lady at the first DMV I went to probably could have issued me a license since I had all the proper documentation to show the name discrepancy. Unfortunately she's made my life complicated by putting a flag on my file that now can't be removed without a clearance letter from SAVE. Obviously the people at the Denver SAVE office aren't doing their job when it took them 10 weeks to come back and say they can't figure the problem out when it was something so incredibly simple.

For those of you who are worried about facing a similar problem, I've been told by the woman at the DMV today and the immigrations officer last week that Colorado is one of the hardest states to get cleared for an ID card. So, I think what is happening to me is a pretty rare occurrence nationwide.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So glad Sean doesn't have to get a name change. :lol:

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Timeline

Ok, this is the last time I'm going to revive this thread! I promise! :lol:

So, I went to one of Colorado's S.A.V.E centers today. I decided not to go to the big one in the Denver metro because its always so busy, and instead went about 2 hours south to small town Pueblo, CO. My husband works there every Wednesday so it made sense to tag along. The lady at the counter took all of my information and then proceeded to tell me I didn't exist in her computer. That was really reassuring! Then she admitted she didn't know what she was doing and got her supervisor to run my information. After about 15 minutes they called me back up to the window and said they cleared me, on the spot, no waiting required this time!

So, long story short, I got my CO state license today :) And believe it or not, it took longer than my entire AOS journey :lol: But I have it now and its valid until 2015! So good riddance DMV.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks guys :)

I think I'm going to try and make an infopass appointment for Friday and see where it goes. Its just annoying considering the closest USCIS office is about 30 minutes away and I hate to go all the way out there for them so say they can't help me. Do you actually get to talk to a qualified person at these things or is it a front line civil surgeon like at the DMV that may or may not have any idea whats going on? That's what I'm afraid of.

Oh well, I'm trying to put it all into perspective. At the end of the day its just a drivers license. Everything else immigration wise has worked out for me pretty well thus far. I just can't believe that someone with a permanent resident card can be denied a license because of a stupid issue like this. I have a marriage license, immigrations knows I changed my name, I can verify who I am, it seems like a non issue but apparently for them its a huge issue.

did you change your name to your married name after you got your OK to move to USA

cause i was told to keep my maiden name as that is what my passport has then change my name once i get to USA

any thoughts on this

is this the normal procedure

cause wont my greencard and ssn be in my maiden name

HELP????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.