cedwards001

Big Problem

52 posts in this topic

Welcome to VJ, Michael! :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about your bad luck in HCM. How long ago was this? Was your case sent back to USCIS? Of course, we'll help if possible.

I noticed there weren't a lot of black tourists in Vietnam. I notice in your photo that you have a very warm disarming smile. Next time you get any strange looks or stares, use your smile! :D

Hey thanks, Jim! Yep, a smile is my usual reaction when put in an awkward spotlight of attention. :blush:

My fiancee Oanh received the denial notice at her 2nd interview on Jan. 15, 2010. This was a few weeks after the initial interview when they had asked for a list of my previous addresses/roommates and a detailed timeline (even though I had already included a notarized timeline in the proof of relationship package).

Anyway, the denial statement said that the case was administratively closed and being sent back to USCIS after the Visa Chief's review. I sent an email last weekend to the consulate addressing the denial issues with the faint hope that maybe the Visa Chief might read it and understand that our relationship is genuine (as opposed to the COs claim that we have a "sham" relationship). I also tried to be constructive by including some ideas for helping the overall process for COs and genuine couples alike, but I'm not holding my breath that anyone will read it.

Right now we're weighing our options on whether to put in another visa petition or simply wait to do a rebuttal after USCIS receives the case back. Ah, as for the OP, I forgot to say that whatever you decide, you should be prepared for some bumpy roads ahead. This has been a stressful ordeal for us but at least there are some successful stories in this forum that give me hope.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hey thanks, Jim! Yep, a smile is my usual reaction when put in an awkward spotlight of attention. :blush:

My fiancee Oanh received the denial notice at her 2nd interview on Jan. 15, 2010. This was a few weeks after the initial interview when they had asked for a list of my previous addresses/roommates and a detailed timeline (even though I had already included a notarized timeline in the proof of relationship package).

Anyway, the denial statement said that the case was administratively closed and being sent back to USCIS after the Visa Chief's review. I sent an email last weekend to the consulate addressing the denial issues with the faint hope that maybe the Visa Chief might read it and understand that our relationship is genuine (as opposed to the COs claim that we have a "sham" relationship). I also tried to be constructive by including some ideas for helping the overall process for COs and genuine couples alike, but I'm not holding my breath that anyone will read it.

Right now we're weighing our options on whether to put in another visa petition or simply wait to do a rebuttal after USCIS receives the case back. Ah, as for the OP, I forgot to say that whatever you decide, you should be prepared for some bumpy roads ahead. This has been a stressful ordeal for us but at least there are some successful stories in this forum that give me hope.

I get glances and stares all of the time in VN.. could be that Big American Guy and the little VN woman thing ... maybe the blue eyed thing, who knows but We get more than our share of stares and a few nasty comments as well...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Wow, they actually gave you nasty comments to your face!? I kind of expected there would be muffled remarks by some folks but not any straightforward criticism. That's really unfortunate but I guess there are close-minded people like that everywhere.

My fiancee actually thinks that she'll always get stared at too when she comes to the states, but I had to reassure her that an Asian woman walking around a metro area in the US is a pretty common situation. Now when we walk around together then there might be a few odd glances. :o

Edited by michael7oanh

Timeline
This is true. However, when they hand out a blue slip for a timeline, how many trips and the length of each trip are questions they specifically want answers to. Also, many denial slips have stated that pictures show petitioner only made one or two trips, and/or only spent a few days in the country. From these things, we can only presume that this carries some weight with the consulate. Exactly how to measure this weight is something only the consulate knows.

I made one trip only to Vietnam and even got engaged at that time and was fine.

Timeline
I did discuss this with my SO today and she agrees on having an engagement party. Since my family is completely opposed to going to Vietnam, I guess I will go alone. My question becomes will it be okay to have the engagement party with her entire family, but None of my family? I am also wondering if some members here have done that and if that is okay. If this is not okay, what could I do to address this red flag? Thanks,

Carl

No one in my family came to mine and I was fine.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I got engaged and married on my second trip after only knowing my husband--meeting and dating--for 6 months. We got a little heckled for my parents not being present at my wedding when I was in AP, but in the end, we made it out with a visa... :D

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Engaged on first trip, 3 months after being introduced by family. Supposedly red flags all over, but the consulate must not have thought so... That's why I propose the theory that people with no real negatives should think long and hard before frontloading. Especially if they submit an unrequested timeline, filled with bad English, bad grammar, bad spelling, or lacking focus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.