2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I could not find the specific answers to a few questions I had by searching on the forums, so I hope someone can help. I know some of these might seem easy, I just do not want to make a mistake.

Part 1 question.

Do we need to wait for her social security number to file this, or should we? It will be a couple of weeks, but we are in no hurry. I just did not know if it mattered much.

Part 3 questions..

Section A.

When filling out the I-485 form I am working on Part 3. There is a question 'In what status did you last enter?'. Per the example PDF/form on VJ I put 'K-1 Visa holder'. but what do I put for 'Nonimmigrant Visa Number'? The example shows 8 digits, but her Visa has a Passport number, Control Number and an Annotation (A#). There is also a red number on the bottom right corner which is eight digits.

Section B.

I entered her son's information but it asks for an A#. On my wife's Visa it is annotated with an A#, but her son's does not. All he has is a Passport # starting with MS, a control number and an annotation with PA: and his mothers name. Is this a big deal or am I missing something?

When they ask for a Visa number, is it the red number in the bottom right corner, or the control number?

Also a quick I-765 question. Her son is 9, should we file for an ITIN or EAD so I can claim him as a dependent on my taxes? I am not sure how he could file for an EAD at his age, but it was recommended by someone.

Thank you for the help. Some silly I am sure, but I am nervous about messing it up.

-

Erroneous

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I could not find the specific answers to a few questions I had by searching on the forums, so I hope someone can help. I know some of these might seem easy, I just do not want to make a mistake.

Part 1 question.

Do we need to wait for her social security number to file this, or should we? It will be a couple of weeks, but we are in no hurry. I just did not know if it mattered much. I don't think it matters too much, but if you have no issue waiting then I would, simply because this is more identifying information. My SSN took less than a week to arrive after we applied

Part 3 questions..

Section A.

When filling out the I-485 form I am working on Part 3. There is a question 'In what status did you last enter?'. Per the example PDF/form on VJ I put 'K-1 Visa holder'. but what do I put for 'Nonimmigrant Visa Number'? The example shows 8 digits, but her Visa has a Passport number, Control Number and an Annotation (A#). There is also a red number on the bottom right corner which is eight digits. You are correct, the 8 digit "red number" is the visa number

Section B.

I entered her son's information but it asks for an A#. On my wife's Visa it is annotated with an A#, but her son's does not. All he has is a Passport # starting with MS, a control number and an annotation with PA: and his mothers name. Is this a big deal or am I missing something? The A# number is usually written on the NOA2 as well, above the beneficiaries name in small print. I don't have experience with children being involved so hopefully someone else can answer if this doesn't work for you

When they ask for a Visa number, is it the red number in the bottom right corner, or the control number? As above, the 8 digit "red number" is the visa number

Also a quick I-765 question. Her son is 9, should we file for an ITIN or EAD so I can claim him as a dependent on my taxes? I am not sure how he could file for an EAD at his age, but it was recommended by someone. No idea about taxes sorry :(

Thank you for the help. Some silly I am sure, but I am nervous about messing it up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.