ScottThuy

HCMC Interview roll call

1,212 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I am in Vietnam now and wanted to give you guys a quick update on my visit to the consulate this week. I spoke to a tall white gwntlemen. The look on this guys face was like he totally did not want to be there at all. He had a soft personality so i saw it as an opportunity to get agressive but no luck. He said they had plenty of evidence that Thu submitted the last couple of months. I told him why it takes so long. I told him that they put me in this situation, not me. He said the same ####### tha oh we cannot take your case out of the queue and it goes first come first serve. He flagged my case so they know i am in vietnam in case they want to speak with me.....yeah right.....basically they are no help at all. Getting angry and yelling will not help because they will not review your entire case on the spot. Like i said, when i go back home i will get my 2 senators and 1 congressman involved more heavily. I will drive to their office personaly. I will fight and fight so hard until i get the pink. I will be back in florida next week. Later guys!

I'm glad you went in on those USC hours, but don't put too much hope that it will work right away. It took me two separate times to come in before they pulled my case file to give me an update. It will show great effort on your part to come in..as it will show later on if Thu ever get another interview..they will likely ask about it as they did ask Hang about both times I came in to talk to them, before giving her the visa approval.

Enjoy your time in VN with her..you have one more week left, hope you did some travel with her and take lots more pictures so perhaps Thu can submit later on. Also, I see that you are almost going on 6 months..be prepare for another Medical if they haven't tell you already. I know it sucks, but at least you won't have to go through sputum tests (TB) like us :hehe:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in AP for 6 months now. I contacted my Congressman and he asked specific about my case. I told him that I filed my case 1.5 years and I've been in AP for 6 months. I also told him that the reasons I suspected the Consulate hold my case are because a few red flags which triggered my case into AP. I told my Congressman that those red flags are nothing but just a coincident.

After a few days, my Congressman replied to me and said that he sent mail to the Consulate and said that he would like them to look at my case as soon as possible. He also told the Consulates about my concerns about the potential red flags. These red flags are, same last name, lot of relatives in the US,...ect

Do you think this is going to help me or make it worse? I didn't expect my Congressman to send that but just to explain to them what I think is going on.

Thanks

1st email, May 19, 2009

1st visit, first face to face, June 17, 2009

2nd visit, December 24, 2009

3rd visit, engaged in Vietnam, June 6, 2010

Filed K-1, June 17, 2010

4th visit,December 26, 2010

INTERVIEWED May 21, 2011 --> RE: Additional documents

5th visit, both of us went in to submit additional documents on June 16, 2011---> Result AP.

6th visit, I went to the Consulate on December 28, 2011

Got back to the US and asked Congressman for help.

March 10, Asked Senators for help.

March 27, 2012 DoS status indicated an expedite on my case after Senators inquiry

End of March, Phone call from Consulate at 11:30PM.

April 13 (or so) received letter asked to update medical and police report

Received VISA April 28, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I contacted my Congressman and my 2 state Senators. I got everybody involved. The best thing to do is to keep getting your Congressman involved over and over. Never give up. I don't think it will hurt your case. Keep fighting!

As soon as you arrive in HCMC next week, make plans to visit the Consulate during US Citizen hours. Find out what is going on with your case. When I visited the Consulate last month they did not help me. I hope that they will be able to help you. Good luck and more importantly...have fun with your girl in VN! :thumbs:

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Timeline

Today is exactly 180 days in AP. It has been stressful but visiting my fiance last month really helped a ton. We spent so much time together doing everything. It is like we were glued to each other the whole time. I visited the Consulate during US Citizen hours but they were no help whatsoever. I had been in contact with Senator Nelson but I recently got involved with Senator Rubio and Congressman Rivera. My fiance is submitting evidence paperwork to the Consulate about once a month now. We also both email the Consulate as much as possible. We are doing everything we can on top of waiting and waiting and waiting. For some weird reason I cannot explain, I have this feeling that we should get the results from the Consulate within a month or two. I can't imaging it dragging on much more than that but then again this IS the HCMC Consulate I am dealing with :whistle:

I had some arguments with my fiance about if it is a good idea or bad idea to keep submitting relationship evidence while in AP. My concern was that they would put our case at the back of the pile each time and add more time to being stuck in AP. My fiance and I discussed this passionately during my time in VN. The thing that I learned is that no matter what strategy you will use as a couple or what the outcome will be, always go through it TOGETHER as a couple. I want to pass this lesson on to everybody else that is going through the visa process in VN. The worst thing that you can do is to not be on the same page and you start blaming each other because you did not support each other. I still do not feel comfortable submitting evidence to the Consulate at this stage but I decided in my heart of hearts that I want to support Thu and stand by her side no matter what the outcome is. If our case gets approved we will celebrate it together but if we get denied we will go through the pains together. The important thing is to go through everything in life TOGETHER. Being in AP is like going through a set of trials. Along the way you will face different obstacles. Facing yourself and your own demons is one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome. Don't let your pride get in the way of things. Even if you don't agree with your girl on somethings, try to let it go and support her.

At this stage of the AP process, given what I have been through, I felt it was important to share this with you guys because maybe somebody else can learn from this. I want to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year. Best of luck to everybody in 2012!

K1 Visa Stage
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.

Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

Timeline

I've been in AP for 6 months now. I contacted my Congressman and he asked specific about my case. I told him that I filed my case 1.5 years and I've been in AP for 6 months. I also told him that the reasons I suspected the Consulate hold my case are because a few red flags which triggered my case into AP. I told my Congressman that those red flags are nothing but just a coincident.

After a few days, my Congressman replied to me and said that he sent mail to the Consulate and said that he would like them to look at my case as soon as possible. He also told the Consulates about my concerns about the potential red flags. These red flags are, same last name, lot of relatives in the US,...ect

Do you think this is going to help me or make it worse? I didn't expect my Congressman to send that but just to explain to them what I think is going on.

Thanks

It can only help. If it was me I would bother everyone constantly. Good luck and God bless. Keep us abreast of anything new.

Timeline

Today is exactly 180 days in AP. It has been stressful but visiting my fiance last month really helped a ton. We spent so much time together doing everything. It is like we were glued to each other the whole time. I visited the Consulate during US Citizen hours but they were no help whatsoever. I had been in contact with Senator Nelson but I recently got involved with Senator Rubio and Congressman Rivera. My fiance is submitting evidence paperwork to the Consulate about once a month now. We also both email the Consulate as much as possible. We are doing everything we can on top of waiting and waiting and waiting. For some weird reason I cannot explain, I have this feeling that we should get the results from the Consulate within a month or two. I can't imaging it dragging on much more than that but then again this IS the HCMC Consulate I am dealing with :whistle:

I had some arguments with my fiance about if it is a good idea or bad idea to keep submitting relationship evidence while in AP. My concern was that they would put our case at the back of the pile each time and add more time to being stuck in AP. My fiance and I discussed this passionately during my time in VN. The thing that I learned is that no matter what strategy you will use as a couple or what the outcome will be, always go through it TOGETHER as a couple. I want to pass this lesson on to everybody else that is going through the visa process in VN. The worst thing that you can do is to not be on the same page and you start blaming each other because you did not support each other. I still do not feel comfortable submitting evidence to the Consulate at this stage but I decided in my heart of hearts that I want to support Thu and stand by her side no matter what the outcome is. If our case gets approved we will celebrate it together but if we get denied we will go through the pains together. The important thing is to go through everything in life TOGETHER. Being in AP is like going through a set of trials. Along the way you will face different obstacles. Facing yourself and your own demons is one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome. Don't let your pride get in the way of things. Even if you don't agree with your girl on somethings, try to let it go and support her.

At this stage of the AP process, given what I have been through, I felt it was important to share this with you guys because maybe somebody else can learn from this. I want to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year. Best of luck to everybody in 2012!

Good idea to let it go. She probably feels even more powerless than you do and wants to help. It can't hurt that she goes back I feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I went back to speak with a Consulate Officer. Been in AP for slightly more than 6 months. Officer told me they are aware of my case and said that the Officer who handle my case does not have time to review it yet. He wrote note into my case via the computer while i'm standing there saying that I was here and he asked for a phone # in vietnam where they can reach me while i'm in Vietnam if needed. I submitted some additional documents to update my profile since it hasd been awhile. He took it and said he'll make sure those will be in my file.

The Consulate Officer acted very professionally unlike a Vietnamese National worker (interpreter?) that I met the last time I was there with my fiancee to submit docs listed in the Blue paper.

1st email, May 19, 2009

1st visit, first face to face, June 17, 2009

2nd visit, December 24, 2009

3rd visit, engaged in Vietnam, June 6, 2010

Filed K-1, June 17, 2010

4th visit,December 26, 2010

INTERVIEWED May 21, 2011 --> RE: Additional documents

5th visit, both of us went in to submit additional documents on June 16, 2011---> Result AP.

6th visit, I went to the Consulate on December 28, 2011

Got back to the US and asked Congressman for help.

March 10, Asked Senators for help.

March 27, 2012 DoS status indicated an expedite on my case after Senators inquiry

End of March, Phone call from Consulate at 11:30PM.

April 13 (or so) received letter asked to update medical and police report

Received VISA April 28, 2012

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

So now we are at 7 months in AP. Some interesting things happened this past month. I got an email from a "Joseph Carnes" who appears to be some Vice Consul at the Consulate. He said that the Consulate will only contact my fiance if the need more documents, need her for another interview or if a decision has been made on the visa. Since none of those currently apply to our case, nothing needs to be done at this time. Therefore, the case is still pending review by a CO. He went on to say that the Consulate deals with thousands of cases daily and he understands our frustration. He couldn't say more about our case because of policies and laws. I don't think he is lying because he actually appeared to look into our case file to let me know his thoughts. Anyways it sucks that there is still no update on our case.

My Senators and Congressman are now ignoring all of my inquiries by phone or by airmail. This is really sad but funny at the same time. I guess I really got on their nerves :whistle:

Thu told me that one of her friends got a pink slip on Jan 9, 2012 after being in AP since April 27, 2011. That makes it just shy of 8 1/2 months worth of waiting. She has to submit 4 documents for the first Blue Slip....just like we did. She submitted the Timeline, 10 year residency(petitioner), 10 year residency(beneficiary) and ex-wife situation(petitioner). The reason I bring this up is because on the forums in VN, they have gone dead silent. Usually she reads about cases in AP that get results in a decent amount of time. Lately, everything has gone slow and nobody was reporting any results. I thought maybe there was a backlog going on in the Consulate. IF this case is the measuring stick, I guess that means that Thu and I have to wait around 60 more days before we reach 8-9 months. For some reason I feel hopeful that we should get a response in Feb/March.

I hope that AP cases will start moving again. Next month I hope to report that more AP cases have been approved and hopefully mine as well. But like I said, I have a good feeling that we should get a response from the Consulate in Feb or March. I will keep you posted. For my closing comments, I would really like to advise those that have not started this visa journey to really try as hard as you can to address your red flags before the interview. I know it sounds easy for me to say this, but do whatever you can to stay out of this nightmare called AP. Log into the VN region in VJ and ask questions! Let our good friends help you and front-load or do whatever it takes to stay out of AP. See you next month!

K1 Visa Stage

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Another Update:

Thu told me that the Consulate has returned all of the evidence proof we submitted while our case is in AP. She also received a letter from the Consulate that says:

"The consular officer has reviewed and returned proofs to you. Your case still requires additional processing in our office and we will contact you when we have finished processing your case."

I have no idea what this means. I remember vaguely a few members that had the same thing and they said that it was a good step towards the Pink slip. Guys, what does this mean??? :help:

K1 Visa Stage

It sounds like better news..my prediction is that they are wrapping up the investigations and about to approve your visa..check to see if your PC, medical, and last interview have not expired. You're almost there!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Another Update:

Thu told me that the Consulate has returned all of the evidence proof we submitted while our case is in AP. She also received a letter from the Consulate that says:

"The consular officer has reviewed and returned proofs to you. Your case still requires additional processing in our office and we will contact you when we have finished processing your case."

I have no idea what this means. I remember vaguely a few members that had the same thing and they said that it was a good step towards the Pink slip. Guys, what does this mean??? :help:

Its a good thing..it means no more of that paper shuffling... just need to endure the rest of the investigation and get updated medical and or police cert.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

So here we are 8 months into AP. Since the Feb 3 phone calls from the Consulate to Thu's residence there has been dead silence. Thu has been reading cases online and she is telling me that all the cases that were stuck in AP like ours are finally getting worked on like ours. She tells me that many cases reported the Consulate made phone calls in early February. Some of them have already received letters to update their medical and police papers. Also some of these cases were processed after our case and we still have not heard anything back. To make it even more strange, my family and I have yet to receive ANY phone calls from the Consulate. The Consulate only called Thu and her family one time and that was Feb 3. I think I will call DOS first thing in the morning to find out what is going on. Should I also do another Congressional inquiry to help find out what is going on because now I am getting a bit worried :(

K1 Visa Stage

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So here we are 8 months into AP. Since the Feb 3 phone calls from the Consulate to Thu's residence there has been dead silence. Thu has been reading cases online and she is telling me that all the cases that were stuck in AP like ours are finally getting worked on like ours. She tells me that many cases reported the Consulate made phone calls in early February. Some of them have already received letters to update their medical and police papers. Also some of these cases were processed after our case and we still have not heard anything back. To make it even more strange, my family and I have yet to receive ANY phone calls from the Consulate. The Consulate only called Thu and her family one time and that was Feb 3. I think I will call DOS first thing in the morning to find out what is going on. Should I also do another Congressional inquiry to help find out what is going on because now I am getting a bit worried :(

Call DoS every so often and just say you want to check the status of the case. depending on the person on the other end of the line, you may get an answer... regardless of what they say, they can see the case in the system and they can see the CO's recent notes/activity. they are not supposed to discuss the case but many do...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Hang in there..it's about 9 months..I know it is frustrating for you..

At this point, you can do another Congressional inquiry..I doublt it will yield any faster progress..but why not!!

Perhaps, wait for a bit more to see if any news and make another trip back to inquire at the Consulate in person..this may give you more weight and significance..just a suggestion!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.