vietazn

Fax machine in Vietnam

8 posts in this topic

This is one thing I forgot to check when I was in VN. Will a fax machine bought in the US work in Vietnam,

provided the electric plug is correct voltage. Are faxes to and from Vietnam done the same as in the US? Meaning, are the phone lines themselves in VN same as the US and can faxes be sent through normal phone connection like it is done here?

Thanks.

This is one thing I forgot to check when I was in VN. Will a fax machine bought in the US work in Vietnam,

provided the electric plug is correct voltage. Are faxes to and from Vietnam done the same as in the US? Meaning, are the phone lines themselves in VN same as the US and can faxes be sent through normal phone connection like it is done here?

Thanks.

I doubt if a fax machine bought in the US will handle 240 volts. YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE LABEL. Laptops can.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

yea, it should work. i bought mine over and it work wonders

Visa Journey

CR-1 Visa Journey

11/07/08 ............Married

02/13/09 ............I-130 sent

02/16/09 ............I-130 delivered

02/23/09.............NOA1

02/24/09.............Touched

02/28/09............ NOA1 Hard Copy

03/25/09.............NOA2

03/30/09.............NOA2 Hard Copy

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

04/17/09.............DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

04/17/09.............DS-3032 sent (email+mail)

04/17/09.............AOS PAID (online)

04/20/09.............AOS package sent

04/20/09.............DS-3032 accepted

04/22/09.............IV Fee bill generated

04/22/09.............IV bill PAID (online)

04/27/09.............DS-230 sent to NVC

04/30/09.............Case under Final Review

05/07/09.............RFE (Ques 20 DS-230)

05/09/09.............Resend DS-230

05/13/09.............DS-230 Received and Under Review

05/20/09.............Case complete at NVC

Embassy Journey

06-08-09.............Case Arrived at Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

06-22-09.............Medical Exam

07-29-09.............Visa Interview

07-29-09.............Visa Approved

08-05-09.............Visa in Hand

08-24-09.............POE - (San Francisco, California)

09-04-09.............Green Card Arrived in Mail

12-04-09.............SSN Card Arrived in Mail

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
So can you bring a fax machine from the US and "plug and play" and it works just like the ones over here?

Using the same line as the phone?

phone connections are the same... I use an online fax service... myfax... all faxes are emailed to me... I can scan in anything I want to fax throgh thier system with a scanner... I like it because I get a US fax number and can check faxes or send faxes from anywhere in the world...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes if the voltage is not the same you will need a voltage converter, they are sold in many shops all across Vietnam. Look at your power supply before you plug it in. MOST electrical gadgets are either 100 volt or 240 volt, the 100 varies sometimes it is 110 or 115, I just looked at my battery charger for my camera and it said 100 or 240. I had an electric razor that I assumed was 240 but was wrong, it did not blow up or anything, just ruined the charger. Look first and you should be fine. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Many electronic devices these days are made with switching power supplies that can automatically work at either 110V or 220V. Look at the data label on the power supply to find out. My camcorder, digital camera, mobile phone (the one with the SIM chip), and laptop power supplies all work fine.

The power connectors are different, but the US style 2-prong plug will work in most sockets in VN - they are designed to accept either the flat US style prongs, or the round European style prongs. 3-prong US style plugs are a problem, but you can either use an adapter plug, or in most cases just pull the third ground pin off the plug.

The "land line" phone connectors are the same in VN as in the US.

The actual data standard for faxes is the same around the world.

One problem you might have is paper. Some thermal papers do not develop an image well in high humidity environments, and some ink transfer papers will smear while printing. I've personally seen this problem with printers in the central region around Da Nang and Hue. Most of the internet shops there use laser printers for this reason.

A much easier solution, with far fewer potential problems, is to scan the documents you want to send, compile the images into a PDF, and send the files as email attachments or using an instant messenger program. Your fiancee can put the PDF's on a USB thumb drive and print them at any internet shop. The reverse can also be done. Many internet and photocopy shops have scanners.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

A much easier solution, with far fewer potential problems, is to scan the documents you want to send, compile the images into a PDF, and send the files as email attachments or using an instant messenger program. Your fiancee can put the PDF's on a USB thumb drive and print them at any internet shop. The reverse can also be done. Many internet and photocopy shops have scanners.

Fax machines are easily more simple solution, if quality is not very important.

Fax machines have several advantages that scanners and computers can't match:

You only use one machine, and it is usually left "always on" like a phone. So you don't have to turn on the computer, connect to internet, and retrieve the document.

Anyone who can use a telephone can use a fax machine. This is good for non-tech people who don't know how to use the internet.

Fax machines will work even when the computer crash or when the internet is down, which happens a lot in Vietnam.

Fax machines are also a fast and economical substitution for snail mail. And if sent correctly, less worry for

lost mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.