7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi guys, I have another question regarding something which we will use for AOS later.

We are soon going to register a car in NC and want the title to be under both our names, which will be used for proof of marriage later on in AOS filing along with joint savings account, joint current account, joint lease (we have that now), joint car insurance, joint utilities and joint credit cards. To title a car and register it under someone though, the DMV website says both people must have valid drivers license or a valid identification card.

My wife cannot drive and does not have any valid license (hers expired years ago in her home country). We will have her license done once I've taught her to drive on the right side of the road, or once she takes drivers ed, if needed.

So we are now going to try and see if we can get her a North Carolina Identification Card from DMV. It says there that what is needed is:

* Proof of Residency;

* Proof of Age and Identity;

* It is required that you present DMV with a valid Social Security card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security card, you must provide documentation issued by the United States Government indicating legal presence.

We have proof of age and identity, her valid social security card and a joint lease as well as correspondence from the Social Security Administration to prove residency.

My question, can she apply for this identification card without a GC? I am unclear as to if they simply mean proof of residence in NC or proof of residence in the country (ie LPR/Citizenship).

If she qualifies to get this identity card for the purpose of registering our car under her name, can she apply for the card AND register the title under her married name (if we show our marriage certificate) or does it have to be under her maiden name as stated in social security card (have not changed it yet as we have limited transport. Hence-car).

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Honestly your best bet is to call the DMV for your state /area and ask them.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I was going to do this but remembered how sometimes government agents make mistakes (misinformation line). Thought I would ask the good people of VJ before making that call.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I was going to do this but remembered how sometimes government agents make mistakes (misinformation line). Thought I would ask the good people of VJ before making that call.

This stuff is gonna very a lot from state to state. Utah distinguishes between proof of Utah residency and proof of legal presence. You need both to get a driver's license.

Proof of Utah residency is actually very lenient: a couple of pieces of mail to your local address from a bank or major credit card will work for that.

For proof of legal presence, they'll accept an EAD or Green Card. An unexpired I-94 might work as well, but my Canadian drivers license was valid until mid-December, so I held off on getting a local license until well after my I-94 was expired, so I don't know.

NC's specific guidelines will probably be different, but I think most states will need both proof of local residency and proof of legal presence in the US.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

She will need a EAD or GC to get a State ID or a Learner's Permit or a Driver's License. That's the only proof of legal presence in the US that is accepted by the DMV in NC. By the way, I didn't have the joint car registration thing for my AOS so no hurry really and you guys already have a lot covered for the proof of marriage.

Cheers..

“You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.” - Jim Stovall -

Our Journey

2008-08-15 .......... Married on K-1!!!!

2009-08-28 .......... Sent AOS (I-485 and I-765) Application to Chicago

2009-09-11 .......... NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765

2009-09-25 .......... Biometrics Appointment in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-08 .......... EAD Approved (CRIS update)

2009-10-08 .......... I-485 Touched, I-485 Case transferred to CSC (CRIS update)

2009-10-09 .......... Biometrics Appointment #2 in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-15 .......... I-485 Case transferred to USCIS office

2009-10-16 .......... I-485 Touched, EAD card arrived in the mail

2009-10-19 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-04 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-05 .......... I-485 RFE (CRIS update)

2009-11-06 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-10 .......... RFE arrived in the mail

2009-11-12 .......... RFE response sent back to CSC

2009-11-17 .......... RFE Received at CSC (CRIS update)

2009-11-18 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-23 .......... I-485 Notice that new permanent resident status has been registered

2009-11-24 .......... I-485 Card production ordered

2009-11-25 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-30 .......... I-485 Approval Notice sent, Permanent Resident Card in the mail!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi guys, I have another question regarding something which we will use for AOS later.

We are soon going to register a car in NC and want the title to be under both our names, which will be used for proof of marriage later on in AOS filing along with joint savings account, joint current account, joint lease (we have that now), joint car insurance, joint utilities and joint credit cards. To title a car and register it under someone though, the DMV website says both people must have valid drivers license or a valid identification card.

My wife cannot drive and does not have any valid license (hers expired years ago in her home country). We will have her license done once I've taught her to drive on the right side of the road, or once she takes drivers ed, if needed.

So we are now going to try and see if we can get her a North Carolina Identification Card from DMV. It says there that what is needed is:

* Proof of Residency;

* Proof of Age and Identity;

* It is required that you present DMV with a valid Social Security card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security card, you must provide documentation issued by the United States Government indicating legal presence.

We have proof of age and identity, her valid social security card and a joint lease as well as correspondence from the Social Security Administration to prove residency.

My question, can she apply for this identification card without a GC? I am unclear as to if they simply mean proof of residence in NC or proof of residence in the country (ie LPR/Citizenship).

If she qualifies to get this identity card for the purpose of registering our car under her name, can she apply for the card AND register the title under her married name (if we show our marriage certificate) or does it have to be under her maiden name as stated in social security card (have not changed it yet as we have limited transport. Hence-car).

This is also my problem. Pls let me know what will happen next. Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
She will need a EAD or GC to get a State ID or a Learner's Permit or a Driver's License. That's the only proof of legal presence in the US that is accepted by the DMV in NC. By the way, I didn't have the joint car registration thing for my AOS so no hurry really and you guys already have a lot covered for the proof of marriage.

Cheers..

Texas is the same way

Linh & Ngan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.