DaveHorton

K1 Petition: Does previous CR1/CR2 mandate waiver?

5 posts in this topic

I petitioned for my Filipina wife and her two minor kids in 2006 and was granted a CR1 and 2xCR2s

They joined me in the states.

Things didn't work out, we are now divorced, and they returned to the Philippines before the 2 year renewal was filed.

The conditional visas have expired.

Looking at the instructions for the K1 (I-129F), I note that a waiver is required if 2 or more K1 petitions have ever been filed. The spirit and intent of that would appear to apply to my situation, even though the strict wording does not apply.

Anyone out there been there and done that?

Should I enclose a provisional waiver request with the I-129F, and hope that the reviewing officer understands what the heck I am talking about? Or does that risk opening a can of worms?

Merry Xmas to all VJ-ers!

02/20/09 Met Juliet in Nirvana (Pasay)

03/01/09 Long weekend in Batangas

03/09/09 Dave returns to the USA

06/22/09 Dave returns to Manila

06/30/09 Juliet learned to SCUBA Dive in Sabang

07/11/09 Visit Laguna with Juliet and her son Justin

08/19/09 Long weekend in Baguio

09/09/09 Fly to Bohol

09/24/09 Family trip to Sabang

10/18/09 Dave returns to the USA

04/01/10 Dave moves to UK

11/19/10 Juliet and Justin move to UK

06/16/14 Juliet and Justin become British Citizens

11/16/16 NOA1

01/17/17 NOA2

01/19/17 Packet 3 Rcvd

03/16/17 Interview (placed on hold pending additional info)

03/27/17 Submitted requested info

04/03/17 Received Visas

06/17/17 Sold House and cars

06/19/17 Arrived in Phoenix AZ

It could never hurt to request a waiver -- if you dont need it then whatever but if you indeed do then they will have it and be able to process your petition.

There are waiver wording examples in the IMBRA forum (I believe!)

Good Luck,

Malarie

I petitioned for my Filipina wife and her two minor kids in 2006 and was granted a CR1 and 2xCR2s

Things didn't work out, we are now divorced, and they returned to the Philippines before the 2 year renewal was filed.

Looking at the instructions for the K1 (I-129F), I note that a waiver is required if 2 or more K1 petitions have ever been filed. The spirit and intent of that would appear to apply to my situation, even though the strict wording does not apply.

Should I enclose a provisional waiver request with the I-129F, and hope that the reviewing officer understands what the heck I am talking about? Or does that risk opening a can of worms?

** The black ribbon I display in my display is for my son in law who was killed in Afganistan November 23,2009 **

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

You Do NOT need a waiver...it only applies if you have prior K-1 visa approved within the past two years. I had similar situation like your exept my Ex never received the visa but was approved by USCIS. I talked to an immigration officer and i was told waiver not required for this situation.

2009-12-03 I-129F Sent

2009-12-07 NOA1

2010-03-15 NOA2

2010-03-17 NVC Received

2010-03-25 Embassy Received

2010-05-06 Interview.....Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

the two or more PREVIOUS petitions K-1 petition and therefore does NOT count the one currently being contemplated... So saying it another way, a waiver is required on the third K-1 petition (unless this is a second within two years of a previously approved petition).

Based on your facts provided... you would not need a "waiver"

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
You Do NOT need a waiver...it only applies if you have prior K-1 visa approved within the past two years. I had similar situation like your exept my Ex never received the visa but was approved by USCIS. I talked to an immigration officer and i was told waiver not required for this situation.

Close... but not 100% accurate because as there are more circumstances that need to be considered BEYOND a situation where a previos K-1 petition was approved within the past 2 year...

however your conclusion for this OP appears to be correct

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.