Upsidedown

Late I-751 was APPROVED AND EXTENDED!!!

15 posts in this topic

I just had to shout it out to the world. I just got my mail and amongst a bunch of pamphlets for a trip I'm planning was an envelope with the US Seal on it. I literally dropped EVERYTHING except that envelope on my front porch (A person walking by asked if I was ok, so I guess I must have looked crazy lol. They actually came over and opened it with me after I explained what it potentially was) My heart pounding, I opened the envelope, and unfolded the paper.... "Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year. During the one year extension you are authorized employment and travel..." WOO HOO!!! :dance::dance::thumbs::star::star: I'm on cloud 9! Just wanted to let everyone know that you CAN file late and it still works. Here is the text of the letter that I sent along with my I-751

To whom it may concern:

I am attaching this letter in an effort to explain the lateness of my filing. My relationship with my wife has taken a turn for the worse, and I am now living on my own. She gave me very little time to pack my belongings, and as a result, all of my paperwork pertaining to my case and immigration is still at her house. What's worse, she's being confrontational and very uncooperative, which is making things very difficult for me.

I wanted to send in my ROC on the 5th, but at that time she was unwilling to file jointly, and we were not yet divorced, so I was unsure of what to file. Upon speaking with some legal counsel, I have learned of a memo posted on the USCIS website that explains that it IS legal to submit your I-751 if you have not finalized the divorce yet. I immidiately gathered all the money I could and submitted my ROC to you.

I am currently battling with my wife about the divorce proceedings. I submitted a complete divorce package to her to be signed, but she dismissed it as unacceptable and stated that she would have her attorney prepare documents for me to sign in the coming weeks. Until that time, she has made obtaining ANY information difficult, and as such I don't currently have access to any of our tax records, bank statements etc. I am in the process of retaining an attorney for myself to help get everything sorted, but since my temporary residency is currently expired, I am no longer authorized to work, hence no longer making any money.

I humbly request an extension on my temporary conditions so that I can have a chance at staying in the US. Originally I didn't even really want to move away from Canada and my family, but now that I'm here in the United States, I've made a life for myself that I could never have accomplished in Canada.

I pray that my lateness is excusable, as I really would like to get back to work, and I am proud to be on my way to becoming a US citizen. Thank you in advance for your consideration and time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Good job, congrats and thanks for sharing with VJ members! :thumbs:

I am sure this wonderfully written letter will help someone else along the way :yes:

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Yes, congrats on receiving your NOA1 but as TracyTN pointed out this is not an approval but merely a receipt to show they have received your petition.

Extending status for one year is the standard step prior to them actually looking at the case.

Good luck.

Paul

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS arrived in Chicago 6/1/2007

NOA1 rcvd 6/11/2007, dated 6/6/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/10/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/11/2007

Rcvd AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. letter 6/19/2007

I130/EAD/AP touched 6/24/2007

AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

EAD approved 8/20 EAD Approved

Rcvd AP in post 8/22/2007 AP Approved

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

I-751 arrived VSC 07/07/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

I-751 Approval 12/10/09 I-751 Approved

Bah, Semantics... I was too excited to use the proper word lol. I guess I should have said "ACCEPTED" instead of Approved. Thanks guys, I'm still super excited that I'm legal again (For now lol)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on the NOA1, at least you have another year of work. But this isn't the end of the journey.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Bah, Semantics... I was too excited to use the proper word lol. I guess I should have said "ACCEPTED" instead of Approved. Thanks guys, I'm still super excited that I'm legal again (For now lol)

You'd be surprised how semantics can get confusing real quick when talking about immigration issues. Sort of akin to people saying their visa has been approved, when in fact, only the petition has been.

I'm glad you're still 'legal' too, but it will take a little more time to find out if they accept your reason for filing late.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I also late filled (about 2 months late). I initially sent in my packet, but they rejected it as I didnt file within the allotted time. So I resubmitted with a letter explaining my tardiness. I then got my NOA1 which extended my status by 1 year. However I never received my Biometric appointment and I was getting worried that my lateness was causing problems, thankfully though I got my approval letter yesterday.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

I also late filled (about 2 months late). I initially sent in my packet, but they rejected it as I didnt file within the allotted time. So I resubmitted with a letter explaining my tardiness. I then got my NOA1 which extended my status by 1 year. However I never received my Biometric appointment and I was getting worried that my lateness was causing problems, thankfully though I got my approval letter yesterday.

You got approved w/out a biometrics appointment?

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Well written letter. No reason not to be happy about the status quo so far.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You got the NOA1, it means your tardiness is excused.

Of course, they still may deny your I-751 in the end, but that will be months from now... may be even a year. Or may be they will approve :)

Good news for now :)

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You got approved w/out a biometrics appointment?

Yeah I never went for my Biometric appointment because they never sent the letter. I phoned up and asked where it was and they said they would chase it up, but that was a few weeks ago and I was getting worried. However yesterday a letter from USCIS arrived and told me that I had been approved.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations on the NOA . That was a nicely written letter. Well done. Good luck on the rest of the process - and I am sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time with your wife. Hopefully it will all work out well in the end.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Congrats and thank you a lot for sharing! I would be super happy in your place as well, it must be scary not to submit timely.

Good luck and sorry about your ex being non-cooperative. Keep us posted.

Edited by resilient

Mar. 2011: I-751 waiver petition sent (divorce decree missing); decree rcvd' & sent: Apr. 2011

Oct. 2011: permanent GC approved (no interview); rcvd': Dec. 2011

Dec. 2013 - Citizenship application N-400 (90 days to 5 yr. LPR)

Sorry, I deleted my personal data / timeline info because of a crazy person/stalker in the site - you never know what a disturbed person can do...

if you need any info, feel free to ask me =)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.