Mom2LilNoah

wallet, pick-pocketed: Interview close

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Mom2LilNoah,

Sorry to hear that you lost your 10yr green card and other important documents. Not your fault at all, as crime happens, regardless. I do hope you find all those documents soon and/or get replacements for such. If I were you, in my opinion, I think you should do the following

1) File a police report. That way, if it gets found, it can be returned to you. This prevents fraud from other people using such documents illegally.

2) Notify other agencies (such as credit card companies, the USCIS, etc.) that your documents have been stolen. This prevents fraud from other people using such documents illegally.

3) Schedule an Infopass appointment with the USCIS to explain your situation. If you have made copies of your green card beforehand, bring that with you too, as well as any police reports that you have filed, to prove your documents were stolen.

4) If you still have your foreign passport (I hope that didn't put that in your pickpocketed wallet), ask for a I-551 stamp in your passport, during your infopass appointment. The I-551 stamp proves your green card status and residency, and is usually valid for up to a year (or however long the immigration officials choose it to be). This should be sufficient enough for you to prove status during your interview and for your oath.

5) Personally, I wouldn't file for another I-90 for a new green card, since your interview date is so close. It would be a waste of your money and time to do such, when you have to give up that green card soon anyways, and you might not get it in time for your interview anyways. So just explain to them that it would be unreasonable for you to get such, in lieu of the circumstances of being in the midst of the N-400 and having your wallet stolen. Hopefully they should be understanding there. Besides, they already have a copy of your green card, when you filed the N-400, so technically, they already have the green card, and can't say that you didn't give them a copy of such and demand for it again during the interview and oath, when it has been stolen.

6) In the future, seriously, consider making photocopies of important documents, and important documents that you don't need to use on a regular basis, keep in a safe place instead.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the rest of your journey and interview coming up and hope you find your documents soon too.

Ant

P.S. To the poster who said not to carry the green card...It's the law! "You must carry this card with you at all times!" (and don't lose it, or pay $300+ for a replacement)

P.P.S. As for the naturalization certificate...."Keep it in a safe place" (or risk losing it and paying $400+ for a replacement). Do not carry it with you! (And if you need proof of citizenship, apply for a passport, an/or carry a photocopy of it only with you).

Call me negligent, careless and more, that's ok because I am guilty. But I need your help on this.

My wallet's gone with my: driver's license, greencard, EAD, and other important things. What's ironic is that my interview is on the 8th of next month, what should I do since I no longer have my greencard to present as original? It's indeed bad timing for this incident to happen but if I request for a new one, will I have the chance to get my new one in time, I just don't know what to do, especially too that tomorrow is Sunday and all offices are closed. Please guys help me, your inputs will be highly appreciated. I got all the blames already that I could take in, so what I need is your help that will alleviate the dilemma I am in. Thanks.

:crying::crying:

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline
This forum is here to help people not be a total A** to them. I have seen your other comments on this forum and they are quite rude. If you don't have anything helpful to say then shut the hell up. Nobody here wants to sit and listen to your BS. I am sure this person already feels like #######. We don't need you making them feel worse in a stressful situation. Are you perfect?...NO so keep your rude comments to yourself!!!!

:thumbs:

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

OP, yes, make apriority infopass appt and take it from there.

Ok, YES, carrying the real GC with you is the law. But So was the DO NOT REMOVE mattress tag back in the 70's.

My point is let us look at what people do in real life. I am not advocating one way or another. Just laying out what I know others are doing.

First, when people consider to carry actual vs copy, you have to decide how "hot" your area is for immigration checkpoints and the possibility of being asked for your "papers" or "badges" on a casual basis of going to the mall, park, school, etc.

Of course, people are sure to carry the GC when you know in advance it is necessary to show.

I know ladies that are scared to death of losing the GC and then having to pay the high price to replace it. By having a copy with them in the wallet along with the I-94 and supporting docs, they feel comfortable to be able to show and prove they are a legal immigrant here.

When I travel internationally, I lock up my passport in the hotel safe and carry a copy of my passport for ease of mind. I want to enjoy vacations, and not have to worry about losing my valuable passport. I could leave a foreign country with minimal delay just by showing the copy of my passport because it is all verifiable in advanced computer data bases. Point is, I can prove who I am and am legit by just a photocopy. Consulate could issue me a temp passport to get thru immigration control points at the airports.

If we are honest, we acknowledge how some folks manage risk in their daily lives, within the letter and/or spirit of the law.

I'm not advocating anything here. People make individual choices in their lives to live the best way they know how.

Just Sayin'!

Peace and happy holidays to all.

Edited by Hopp

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Ok, YES, carrying the real GC with you is the law. But So was the DO NOT REMOVE mattress tag back in the 70's.

It was, and still is, only a warning that prohibits manufacturers from removing the tag. There was never a law that prohibited consumers from removing the tag.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Why the F*** are you putting an incredibly important and excruciatingly expensive to replace document in your wallet?

A driver license, sure, cash, yep, a condom . . . why not, but your one and only GREEN CARD?

Are you flashing it around on a daily basis at the bus stop ore homeless shelter, just to show off? If so, karma hits you right where it hurts most: in the wallet. And don't tell me you need to carry it, just in case. BULLs***!

You were begging for a lesson, and I only hope others will learn it without the $300+ price tag: the GC belongs right next to your passport and the stack of cash, in the safest place of your home, unless you are traveling internationally!

when your a green card holder you must carry your I.D at all times its the law...! As not everyone has a D/L as they don't drive or whatever reason..

Also most like myself have it handy in my wallet when i need to take to interveiws, banks ect to use this as my prime I.D

So let me ask you this then...do you carry credit cards in your wallet? could they not get stolen also..? hmmmm

before you judge somebody for being a victim of a crime ....think before you open ya mouth please in future...

with respect..

Call me negligent, careless and more, that's ok because I am guilty. But I need your help on this.

My wallet's gone with my: driver's license, greencard, EAD, and other important things. What's ironic is that my interview is on the 8th of next month, what should I do since I no longer have my greencard to present as original? It's indeed bad timing for this incident to happen but if I request for a new one, will I have the chance to get my new one in time, I just don't know what to do, especially too that tomorrow is Sunday and all offices are closed. Please guys help me, your inputs will be highly appreciated. I got all the blames already that I could take in, so what I need is your help that will alleviate the dilemma I am in. Thanks.

:crying::crying:

File a report with your local police ASAP. Bring the report with you to your interview. Do you have the document letter that came with your GC? If so, bring that as well. Get a replacement of your Driver's License ASAP.

Do not pospone your interview. Bring these items with you. Let the Immigration Authorities make that decision. If you follow all these steps. they wil consider you for your interview.

First and foremost, I wanna thank all the members who replied to my post, even to the one who tried to "bless me out" for bringing my GC with me. Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to offer me suggestions and great solutions, I truly appreciate your help.

Here's the good news :dance::dance: ....

I got my wallet back first in the morning today from the store where I last went. All my cards and other pertinent documents are intact, except for my around 40-dollar bills and Visa card. The person who stole it, used my card to pay his/her merchanside that day. When I went to my bank, I had to get a police report of the incident to get the money back used by the thief.

I actually got a call back from the Manager about the stolen wallet the same night I lost it but I just waited til I got my wallet in the flesh, to make sure that I got it back before letting everybody know here that I am indeed lucky to get it back. The relief I felt was beyond words, the moment I saw my black wallet about to be handed to me.

God is soooo good. Again, thanks a lot for everything. This forum has never ceased to help me...1 more week, and I would be interviewed and probably get a same-day oath. My sincerest gratitude.

~ Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. ~

MY NATURALIZATION JOURNEY

8-28-2009 - Sent my application in

8-31-2009 - Recieved by USCIS (Texas Lockbox Facility)

9- 4 -2009 - Money order cashed

9- 8 -2009 - NOA receipt, dated September 2

9-28-2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received, dated September 24

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

10-26-2009- Receipt of Yellow Letter, dated October 22

11-2-2009 - Receipt of IL, dated October 30

12-8-2009 - Interview

5-19-2010 - Oath Ceremony (Birmingham Museum of Art)

*Time to rest dealing with the Immigration for myself...til it's time for me to petition my family. What a big relief*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations you must be relieved!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

It was, and still is, only a warning that prohibits manufacturers from removing the tag. There was never a law that prohibited consumers from removing the tag.

The tag did not always specify manufacturers only. THat is why i referenced the tags back in the 70's. Depending on your age, you may not have seen those. For this reason the DO NOT REMOVE tag has provided endless fodder to comedians and have made some consumers paranoid about removing it. http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Do_Not_Remove

So where do you stand on the GC issue?

EDIT: Congrats to the OP for getting your valuable card back. I'm sure you will want to turn it into a necklace now and wear it around your neck. :lol:

Edited by Hopp

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
First and foremost, I wanna thank all the members who replied to my post, even to the one who tried to "bless me out" for bringing my GC with me. Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to offer me suggestions and great solutions, I truly appreciate your help.

Here's the good news :dance::dance: ....

I got my wallet back first in the morning today from the store where I last went. All my cards and other pertinent documents are intact, except for my around 40-dollar bills and Visa card. The person who stole it, used my card to pay his/her merchanside that day. When I went to my bank, I had to get a police report of the incident to get the money back used by the thief.

I actually got a call back from the Manager about the stolen wallet the same night I lost it but I just waited til I got my wallet in the flesh, to make sure that I got it back before letting everybody know here that I am indeed lucky to get it back. The relief I felt was beyond words, the moment I saw my black wallet about to be handed to me.

God is soooo good. Again, thanks a lot for everything. This forum has never ceased to help me...1 more week, and I would be interviewed and probably get a same-day oath. My sincerest gratitude.

And to think my wife didn't want to surrender her green card because of all the grief we were put through to get it. Should let you bring a 12 gauge shot gun to your oath ceremony so you can blow it to pieces. And you do not have to carry your USC certificate with you, don't have to carry anything as long as you are not driving or taking the airlines. Best wishes on your interview, good luck is not getting into a traffic jam and getting a reasonable IO, wish you the best of luck. Studying for the test and providing evidence is up to you.

And to think my wife didn't want to surrender her green card because of all the grief we were put through to get it. Should let you bring a 12 gauge shot gun to your oath ceremony so you can blow it to pieces. And you do not have to carry your USC certificate with you, don't have to carry anything as long as you are not driving or taking the airlines. Best wishes on your interview, good luck is not getting into a traffic jam and getting a reasonable IO, wish you the best of luck. Studying for the test and providing evidence is up to you.

Thanks NickD for the reminders. I made a few readings already about what to do after getting my certificate. Yes, I am trying to mentally arm myself with the Civics/History part, has reviewed my N400 form and checking twice my appointment letter to make sure I get all things in my purse. And also, my outfit's ready too, together with my husband's and son's. Trying to dress to the nines :-)

And of course I need all the "best wishes" I can get. I can't wait to post my experience here. Have a great day!!!

~ Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. ~

MY NATURALIZATION JOURNEY

8-28-2009 - Sent my application in

8-31-2009 - Recieved by USCIS (Texas Lockbox Facility)

9- 4 -2009 - Money order cashed

9- 8 -2009 - NOA receipt, dated September 2

9-28-2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received, dated September 24

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

10-26-2009- Receipt of Yellow Letter, dated October 22

11-2-2009 - Receipt of IL, dated October 30

12-8-2009 - Interview

5-19-2010 - Oath Ceremony (Birmingham Museum of Art)

*Time to rest dealing with the Immigration for myself...til it's time for me to petition my family. What a big relief*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.