treed44812

Police Certificate- Petitioner

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I just received a notice from my lawyer about the K-1 that I am filing this week. They notified me that they are now requesting from the petitioner an police clearance certificate.... I am not sure if this has hit the populous at large, or if this is something that has been an RFE in the past, but I wanted to let everyone who will be filing soon that this is something I was requested to do.... My lawyers are reporting that it is the USCIS who is requesting this with new apps.....

Just a "heads-up".......

07/05--------Met Ann in Taichung, Taiwan

01/28/06----Fell in love with Ann over Chinese Lunar New Year in Taichung Taiwan

02/12/06----Ann's birthday

02/26/06---- I leave Taichung amidst a trail of tears

04/06/06-----Ann comes to visit my family and I in NY

06/16/06-----I propose to Ann in Taichung- Happiest Day of my life (So Far!)

07/27/06---- I-129 Sent to Lawyers for review

07/31/06---- I-129F Forwarded to Vermont (let's hope things move along!)

08/04/06----NOA1

08/08/06----Touch

08/11/06----Snail mail receipt of NOA1

Sept 2006- NOTHING

09/27-10/11 Back in Taiwan with Ann, (leaving gets harder everytime)

10/16/06, 1830 Hours: NOA2 !!!!

Touched 10/17,18

10-20-06--- NVC Forwarded to Embassy!

10/26 Packet 3 in her hands!

11/3 Packet 3 sent back, waiting on interview date

11/9 Medical Done- Results back, NEXT STEP- INTERVIEW!!!!

12/5 POE: Detroit

12/22: She goes to SF to see "family", which was actually her other boyfriend.....

12/24: I learn the truth about her deceit and double life.

12/26: ICE, USCIS, and Buffalo Immigration notified- please note the delay was only due to the holiday and I did try to call as soon as I found out....

I just received a notice from my lawyer about the K-1 that I am filing this week. They notified me that they are now requesting from the petitioner an police clearance certificate.... I am not sure if this has hit the populous at large, or if this is something that has been an RFE in the past, but I wanted to let everyone who will be filing soon that this is something I was requested to do.... My lawyers are reporting that it is the USCIS who is requesting this with new apps.....

Just a "heads-up".......

This is the first I've heard of the petitioner needing a police clearance. Are you sure you haven't mistaken the petitioner for the beneficiary? The beneficiary needs a police clearance for the consulate interview.

Edited by mrc

Timeline

perhaps the lawyers are saying that if you had previous crimes you need the documents and whatever for IMBRA regs.. that is my thought.. cause the US doesn't even have a "Police Certificate" like some countries have.

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
perhaps the lawyers are saying that if you had previous crimes you need the documents and whatever for IMBRA regs.. that is my thought.. cause the US doesn't even have a "Police Certificate" like some countries have.

Yeah.. I also think you should ask your lawyer about this again..

Timeline

Lawyers specifically spelled out in the email I received that they are now requesting a background check of the petitioner (spelled out in the email to me spefically stating "YOU").

Here is the text of the email I got:

"We have been notified of a new procedure with the filing of the I-129F. USCIS is now requiring us to attach a copy of a police certificate of the Petitioner (you) to show that you do not have any arrests. "

There is a background check that can be conducted in the US, it is called a NCIC (National Crime Information Center) background check; which is fairly common for federal jobs, pistol permits, etc. It isn't a background clearance but very similar to the police certificates that our significant others need for the consulate interview.

I will be clarifying with my lawyers on Monday, but I thought I would check with you guys/gals if you had heard of something like this before....

PS: I have no criminal record, not even traffic infractions that would warrant something ahead of time.....

I will follow up and let you know what I found out....

T

Edited by treed44812

01/28/06----Fell in love with Ann over Chinese Lunar New Year in Taichung Taiwan

08/04/06----NOA1

08/08/06----Touch

Sept 2006- NOTHING

Touched 10/17,18

12/22: She goes to SF to see "family", which was actually her other boyfriend.....

12/26: ICE, USCIS, and Buffalo Immigration notified- please note the delay was only due to the holiday and I did try to call as soon as I found out....

Lawyers specifically spelled out in the email I received that they are now requesting a background check of the petitioner (spelled out in the email to me spefically stating "YOU").

"We have been notified of a new procedure with the filing of the I-129F. USCIS is now requiring us to attach a copy of a police certificate of the Petitioner (you) to show that you do not have any arrests. "

There is a background check that can be conducted in the US, it is called a NCIC (National Crime Information Center) background check; which is fairly common for federal jobs, pistol permits, etc. It isn't a background clearance but very similar to the police certificates that our significant others need for the consulate interview.

I will be clarifying with my lawyers on Monday, but I thought I would check with you guys/gals if you had heard of something like this before....

PS: I have no criminal record, not even traffic infractions that would warrant something ahead of time.....

T

I haven't seen anything that says USICS requires it at this point. But, I would say your lawyers are on the ball. Makes sense to provide that even if you have no record. Just to prove you have none of the IMBRA specific convictions. I wouldn't be surprised if some people got RFE's requesting it in the future. So I would just say they I think they are being proactive and wish to help you avoid any RFE's in your future.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

T

I am familiar with the NCIC. When you get pulled over for a traffic violation, the police are running your NCIC to see if you have any warrants. This is still the first I've heard of it from everything I've read. I'm sure there would be some pissed off people if they further held up the petitions due to another new rule.

I don't see how they can require this now without some forewarning. Even with the IMBRA there was some forewarning.

Edited by mrc

Timeline

The only thing I can think of is that it is related to IMBRA.... I am closely knit with some people in law enforcement at the federal level, and mentioned that to my lawyer. I don't know how interrelated the request for the check and my sharing of contacts are with the lawyer though. Perhps my lawyer is looking to be proactive with IMBRA and get it out of the way with the check at the onset of the application.

I don't mean to create a panic or induce a scare, but to let everyone know what is happening on my end...

More information to follow!

Edited by treed44812

08/04/06----NOA1

08/08/06----Touch

Sept 2006- NOTHING

Touched 10/17,18

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does not make sense to me, they can just run the NCIC, it only takes a few minutes why request an additional document?

Smells funny to me....

July 17 2006 Sent I-129F to TSC

July 19 2006 packet received by TSC

July 27 2006 case received at CSC

July 28 2006 touched (to process/send NOA1)

Aug 01 2006 check cashed

Aug 05 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Oct 03 2006 Touched (RFE sent)

Oct 10 2006 RFE received and responded to

Oct 17 2006 Touched (CSC reply to RFE response)

Nov 06 2006 NOA2

Nov 21 2006 NVC sent to Manila

Blah

Blur

Drone

March 27 2007 Interview

April 02 2007 Visa delivered

April 05 2007 Happiness delivered

April 06 2007 First day of the rest of our lives

"There they go! I must hurry and catch them, for I am their leader."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
The only thing I can think of is that it is related to IMBRA.... I am closely knit with some people in law enforcement at the federal level, and mentioned that to my lawyer. I don't know how interrelated the request for the check and my sharing of contacts are with the lawyer though. Perhps my lawyer is looking to be proactive with IMBRA and get it out of the way with the check at the onset of the application.

I don't mean to create a panic or induce a scare, but to let everyone know what is happening on my end...

More information to follow!

I am glad you are saying this. I will bring it up with the lawyers when it is time for me to start the process. Duly thanks for that information. :D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I don't think police can provide the certificate specifying that somebody is "clean" throughout the country.

I work in law enforcement and from what I learned one police department only knows about local stuff.

Ana

Timeline

You are right Ana, my stepfather is an LT. and my two brothers are both deputies in the area I live. They were my first call and they can only provide the background for their jurisdiction (county), so that is why I was more curious if anyone else had a similiar experience. They can run a check at a national level, but can not certify the results. Running an NCIC isn't tough, and only takes about 30 seconds, but we all know how fast the gov't works. 30 seconds could equal months.... maybe our lawyers are just being ####### and want it to avoid an RFE or some other issue. Aside from that, I have no other thoughts on what it could be.

Either way, I am paying them good money, and if they want it, the FBI agents I know are one of the first calls I make Monday. I guess we will just have to wait and see until Monday when the lawyers and federales get an early morning wake up call from me. I will post an update first thing on Monday morning......

08/04/06----NOA1

08/08/06----Touch

Sept 2006- NOTHING

Touched 10/17,18

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Well, I for one have been following the IMBRA law very closely. I'm not sure if lawyers are more informed than anyone else, but if they are let me know. I know they didn't have a whole lot to offer during this whole uprising of the law. They seemed to be in the wait and see mode just like us. Trust me, I sent out over 300 e-mails to Lawyers asking what they wanted for convictions, they really didn't know. But if this is true than it's good to know. However, I would think this would be a publicly announced request posted on the USCIS website.

What's acctually on the website is the following:

Application Procedures: Bringing a Fiancé(e) to Live in the United States

Form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) (if your fiancé(e) has unmarried children who are under 21, they are eligible to accompany your fiancé(e), but only if they are listed on this form.)

Evidence of your U.S. citizenship - your original U.S. birth certificate, your U.S. passport, your Certificate of Naturalization, or your Certificate of Citizenship. (Please see USCIS Form I-129F for information on the use of copies.)

2 Form G-325A Biographic Data Sheets (one for you and one for your fiancé(e))

One color photo of you and one of your fiancé(e) taken within 30 days of filing (please see Form I-129F for more instructions on photos).

A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees if either you or your fiancé(e) have been previously married.

Proof of permission to marry if you or your fiancé(e) are subject to any age restrictions. (For instance, in some U.S. states, you must receive special permission to marry if you are under the age of 16.)

I don't see where it asks for a Police certificate. However, when informing the beneficiary of what is needed at the interview it states the following:

Police certificate(s) for the beneficiary and any dependent children over 16 years of age

Much more specific and informing of what was needed. Now, it does ask you to provide evidence of certain crimes on the new I-129F and the notorious IMBRA RFE to comply with IMBRA. The petition states the following:

If you have ever been convicted of any of the following crimes, submit certified copies of court and police records showing the charges and dispositions for every such conviction.

Maybe your lawyer is well informed, maybe he's/ she's being proactive GREAT!! I think it's a good idea. I don't know what to think. All I can say is, so far the USCIS has not made that a public part of the petition. I also don't believe that lawyers are anything more than well studied people in a certain field or many fields, having experience in dealing with such cases. They are quit human.

I think it's something worth looking into and if it gets a seconded by another lawyer than at least we know. Maybe someone on this site could be nice enough to ask there immigration attorney if they've received the same information. If they have, I sure would like to know. It takes about a month to get such a record from the authorities.

Edited by AndyMisiu

06/30/06- sent I-129F petition to VSC.

07/11/06- NOA1 (received in mail)

07/19/06- RFE received in mail, IMBRA

07/28/06- e-mail, IMBRA RFE received at VSC

09/11/06- called VSC, told I'm with an adjudicating officer

09/25/06- called VSC, told to file expedited service, outside 60 days of RFE received date

09/26/06- sent expedited service request to VSC via fax and snail mail

09/26/06- Senators and Congressman making inquiries into my petition

09/29/06- expedited service request approved by VSC director

10/04/06- e-mail NOA2 approved!!!!!!

10/05/06- NVC received

10/06/06- NVC forwarded to Poland Embassy

10/16/06- Packet #3 received

10/17/06- Packet #3 sent to US Embassy Warsaw

10/30/06- Packet #4 received

10/30/06- Interview scheduled for November 22nd!!!

11/30/06- Visa in hand, via DHL!!!!

12/05/06- Ania and I arrive together in the USA

02/11/07- Ania applied for Social Security Card

02/17/07- Ania and I were MARRIED!!!!!!

07/24/07- Social Security Card in hand- after some minor issues and a little procrastination :)

10/14/07- I-485, I-765, and permission to travel mailed to USCIS

10/17/07- Received NOA1

12/17/07- I-485 shipped to California Service Center for faster service

12/17/07- I-765 approved new card should be mailed within 30 days, Advanced parole approved

02/28/08- AOS APPROVED!!!! PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED!!!!! (card received couple weeks after approval)

I don't think police can provide the certificate specifying that somebody is "clean" throughout the country.

I work in law enforcement and from what I learned one police department only knows about local stuff.

Ana

Usually the State Police or your states Bureau of Investigation can provide one for the state you live in (or used to live in).

You can also order one from the FBI, you go to your local police get fingerprinted and send them in with your request. Takes about 6 to 8 weeks for a response I think.

Edited by Dean iWait

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have an old convicition from 1987 and it is not easy getting this information required by the new law. I had the Justice Dept. of Calif run a background check on me just to get the needed information concerning the court doucements. Then I sent request to court for documents but I was told very frank that it will take 2-8 weeks to find the court records if they can be found. (Really the court clerks are not being in any hurry.

Met online 7-23-05

Met in Manila 2-2-2006> I could not wait any longer I asked her to marry me.

NOA1 June,12 2006

touched Sept.22,2006

Email Sept. 30,2006(RFI)

Recieved RFI Oct. 6, 2006

Mailed Express Oct. 10,2006

Email Notification of RFI recieved Oct. 18,2006

touched Oct. 19,2006

NOA2 10/18/2006 no email noticfication!

Recieved 2nd NOA 2 dated 11/2/2006

Sent I-134 and supporting documents to Salve 11-2-06

Recieved letter from NVC 11-9-06 got case number

Called NVC told them sent to wrong country 11-13-06 8:31am

Called US Embassy in Taiwan 6-13-06 5:01 pm Pacfic Time

Salve Going to Tiapei, Taiwan US Embassy to request transfer from Manila to Taipei 11-15-06

Salve's 2nd trip to Embassy in Tiapei. Our case has been requested to be transferred to Taiwan 11-16-06

11/23/06 I contacted 2 California and 1 Tennessee Senators concerning case in Manila

12/6/06 Case is sent from Manila to Taiwan.

12/27/06 Salved recieved call from Taiwan Embassy case is in office and packet in mail.

Interview 1-19-07

Medical 1-11-07

APPROVED January 24, 2007

Leave for USA Febuary 1, 2007

Married March 3, 2007 in the Smokey Mountains

INTERVIEW 6/12/07 AND APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mailed completed I-751 package 3.12.07

Recieved Notice of Action for Biometrics to be done 4.17.09 in Charlotte, NC.

9.4.09-- 10 year green card approved

Waiting now for citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.