bond

I-134 - question no.9 - please help!!!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys!

My fiancee's dad will be my co-sponsor.

I still have one question regarding the I-134 form.

Question 9 on the I-134 form “I have previously submitted affidavit of support for the following person:”

My fiancees dad had to submit affidavit of support 25 years ago when some of his family members wanted to visit him from his home country Poland. He did that a couples of times back than. I guess it was nececarry due to the Cold War and Poland was under Russian control at this time. It was always just for a visiting visa for a couple of weeks. So it was not the same affidavit of support like the I-134 now. Should I write all his family members down? Also he doesn’t remember the exact date any more cause it is so long ago. Or is this question just regarding to I-134, affidavit of support? Should I just write down “none” cause it is the first time he is filling out the first time an I-134 form for a K1 visa? Just want it to do it the right way, therefore I am asking.

Thanks for the help!

- Adam

The question is pretty simple - I presume you are somehow completing this form on behalf of your fiancé's father - so from his perspective has he completed/submitted an affidavit of support for another person... apparently the answer is yes. If so, complete the appropriate information - if he doesn't know when he did, write 'unknown.' or '1994'

Edited by Otto und Karin

The question is pretty simple - I presume you are somehow completing this form on behalf of your fiancé's father - so from his perspective has he completed/submitted an affidavit of support for another person... apparently the answer is yes. If so, complete the appropriate information - if he doesn't know when he did, write 'unknown.' or '1994'

but it was not for a I-134 form for a K1 visa....it was just for a tourist visa....does it has any concequences for me if he did this already for his family members?

Edited by bond

but it was not for a I-134 form for a K1 visa....it was just for a tourist visa....does it has any concequences for me if he did this already for his family members?

The question doesn't qualify itself - it asks simply have you submitted an affidavit of support before. Yes or No (You'll notice there is no mention of a K-1, tourist, or other visa in the question.). You are making more out of this than there needs to be made. I'd put the information down - date it as best you can and move on - it's not that big a deal - especially since it was 25 years ago.

Very doubtful submitting an affidavit of support for family 25 years ago would have any affect on your case now - especially if there were never any issues with these family members.

The question doesn't qualify itself - it asks simply have you submitted an affidavit of support before. Yes or No (You'll notice there is no mention of a K-1, tourist, or other visa in the question.). You are making more out of this than there needs to be made. I'd put the information down - date it as best you can and move on - it's not that big a deal - especially since it was 25 years ago.

Very doubtful submitting an affidavit of support for family 25 years ago would have any affect on your case now - especially if there were never any issues with these family members.

the reason I am asking is that one of his brothers was visiting him and got didn't wanted to go back to Poland so he stayed in the U.S.. After a while he got his green card and he has now his U.S. citizenship.

After that his Cousin wanted to visit him in the U.S., but she didn't get a visiting visa.

All this happened 25 years ago.

I am scared that my visa will get denied because of that, even if his income is high enough.

thanks for the help

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

the reason I am asking is that one of his brothers was visiting him and got didn't wanted to go back to Poland so he stayed in the U.S.. After a while he got his green card and he has now his U.S. citizenship.

After that his Cousin wanted to visit him in the U.S., but she didn't get a visiting visa.

I am scared that my visa will get denied because of that, even if his income is high enough.

thanks for the help

Scared or not the answer is what it is. If the previous person sponsored now has citizenship, that will be on record. It's ok to note that when you file the affidavit.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

thanks for the help

Scared or not the answer is what it is. If the previous person sponsored now has citizenship, that will be on record. It's ok to note that when you file the affidavit.

So if he has citizenship now it will be not a problem any more? I am just scared, cause my fiancee's dad cousin got denied, but she also applied for a tourist visa and they were probably assuming that she wants to stay in the country like his brother. In my case they know that I want to get married and obviously want to live in the country, so I hope they will not care about that.

do you guys think it will matter or should I just find another co-sponsor, cause I will be probably denied due to that whole story?

if I write all the names down from his family, should I also write down the name of his cousin who's visa got denied?

should I write down that his brother stayed first as a illigal immigrant and got his green card later?

Edited by bond

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

thanks for the help

So if he has citizenship now it will be not a problem any more? I am just scared, cause my fiancee's dad cousin got denied, but she also applied for a tourist visa and they were probably assuming that she wants to stay in the country like his brother. In my case they know that I want to get married and obviously want to live in the country, so I hope they will not care about that.

do you guys think it will matter or should I just find another co-sponsor, cause I will be probably denied due to that whole story?

if I write all the names down from his family, should I also write down the name of his cousin who's visa got denied?

should I write down that his brother stayed first as a illigal immigrant and got his green card later?

I don't know why it would be a problem to begin with but I certainly didn't say it wouldn't be. You gave no indication of why there would be any problem. The question is there to help properly determine the household size. Someone previously sponsored who is now a citizen wouldn't count in the current household size but you must answer the questions truthfully anyway.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I would stick to "unknown" since it was a long time ago. I don't think it would be a big issue as this is the last thing you have to worry about. If his income is sufficient then that should be more then enough.

Edited by Starlight95

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.