joey_77

Arrested in Vegas for taking a phone...ridiculous!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So I was in Las Vegas last june, had a blast with about 8 of my friends...I had to take a separate flight back home (San Antonio TX) and at the security checkpoint, you know, where u have to take your shoes off, wallet, belt, phone....the person in front of me totally forgot a Blackberry phone. Me, in my hungover state (I admit it), I took my wallet, coins, belt and without thinking since I personally have an iPhone, I took the other phone.

Well, the guy came back, they look at the footage and found me 5 min prior to my departure!!

He pressed charges even though I look in my bag and handed back the phone! I am still facing FELONY CHARGES bc under Nevada law, if you take something worth over $250, is considered GRAND LARCENY.

The DA is willing to lower the charge to PETTY LARCENY (misdemeanor) with absolutely NO probation.

Does anyone know if that could represent a problem when filing the 751 Lifting of Conditions? I need to tell my lawyer if I'm going to accept the misdemeanor charge.

oh and the cost for taking that Blackberry phone? $1,500 in lawyer fees. That must be the MOST expensive phone in the world now! :blink:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I do not think it will effect your petition.

We had a shoplifting charge pleaded down to trespassing. It was fine.

Personally, I think they look more at the assault type charges.

Just make sure you send along every single shread of proof you have with your petition from start to finish on that charge. I would even write a little explanation, something along the lines of what you just wrote.

Good luck.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I know somebody whose little girl put a toy in the stroller while they were at the store and the mom didn't notice it.

When they stepped out the mom was stopped in front of the main entrance and arrested for taking and not paying an item from the store. She was charged with a misdemenour and she had to do community service.

Anyway, she didn't have any problems when she filed for Removing of Conditions. She was nervous about it as well, but she got her permanent GC.

It happened in CA.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.