Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Question for the married ladies..Did you change your name when you got married?

I am thinking of not changing mine to avoid the hassle of changing so many documents.

Do you know if Social Security needs to be notified if there is not name change?

For pesonal reasons I did not change my name.

I did not notify social security.

Working in personnel, I understand the hassle.

Hello,

What about my case? I'm getting married this Sunday :dance: and I would like to change my name. Jay wouldn't have it any other way, anyway. I know I'll have to go back to the SS office, but how do I change my name in my passport? How do I handle this name-change when we are applying for AOS etc? Is there a webpage that we could be directed to?

Thanks Guys,

Mars.

From a little cottage in Negril all the way to Vermont.[br].png

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to print out a form from the SS website, filled it out, sent it in with a copy of the Marriage Certificate and boom -- got a letter in the mail from them about a month later and it was done.

You need to do the same with your Passport. <I believe> you can just go to a Post Office that will accept the Passport Application and do a "change of name." I'm sure they will require your old Passport, new pictures, fee and a copy of the Marriage Certificate. I haven't done this yet but need to.....

**I would make sure that the Marriage Certificates that you send are ORIGINALS. I know that SS required this -- and they sent it back to me with my "letter."

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

I am thinking of not changing mine to avoid the hassle of changing so many documents.

Do you know if Social Security needs to be notified if there is not name change?

For pesonal reasons I did not change my name.

I did not notify social security.

Working in personnel, I understand the hassle.

Hello,

What about my case? I'm getting married this Sunday :dance: and I would like to change my name. Jay wouldn't have it any other way, anyway. I know I'll have to go back to the SS office, but how do I change my name in my passport? How do I handle this name-change when we are applying for AOS etc? Is there a webpage that we could be directed to?

Thanks Guys,

Mars.

Hey Marlyn I am in the same boat. I need to change my name also after I get married, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I have already started filling out the AOS paperwork as Mrs. White :lol: .

Congratulations on your two years Shamanya.

Edited by morantbaygirl

067-1.jpg

080.jpg Want some

089-1.jpg I am hot

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I was able to print out a form from the SS website, filled it out, sent it in with a copy of the Marriage Certificate and boom -- got a letter in the mail from them about a month later and it was done.

You need to do the same with your Passport. <I believe> you can just go to a Post Office that will accept the Passport Application and do a "change of name." I'm sure they will require your old Passport, new pictures, fee and a copy of the Marriage Certificate. I haven't done this yet but need to.....

**I would make sure that the Marriage Certificates that you send are ORIGINALS. I know that SS required this -- and they sent it back to me with my "letter."

Good morning.

If I'm not mistaken Mars. has a Jamaican passport. Not sure if the procedures are the same. I could be wrong....

Timeline

DARLENE, I am soooo happy & envious of you. Count down the minutes girl. Good luck!!

08-25-06 Package Sent
Package was redirected to CSC
9-07-06 Recd NOA1
11-14-06 Touch
11-17-06 Touch
11-18-06 Recd Original Birth Cert in mailed
11-18-06 Touch (On Saturday?)
11-20-06 Recd NOA2 in mailbox No emails notices, or website updates @ USCIS, just a perfect letter in mail!!
12-4-06 NVC has packet issued case #
12-6-06 Recd email confirming NOA2 Approval finally.
12-6-06 File in the mail to Embassy per NVC.
12-8-06 Embassy sign for NVC packet
12-18-06 Embassy emails stating Packet 3 in mail to Fiancee.
12-18-06 Embassy provides appt. date & time for Fiancee to pick up Packet 3. Rules have changed.
1-3-07 Embassy receives DS 230
1-19-07 Embassy confirms interview appt. date & time via phone.
1-26-07 Fiancee receives Interview Letter (Packet #4) in the mail. Still no Packet #3
2-20-07 Medical @ Andrews completed
2-15-07 Received Packet #3 in mail

[b]Interview Date: March 13, 2007 9am[/b]
APPROVED 3/13/07
Had to fly back without Fiancee 3/20

PICKED UP VISA @ EMBASSY DAY 22!!!!
Visa Recd-4/4/07
Sweetie enter US 4/5
TEXAS BOUND-TEXAS ARRIVAL 4/11
Fiancee Abandoned 4/18

If I'm not mistaken Mars. has a Jamaican passport. Not sure if the procedures are the same. I could be wrong....

Oh yeah.....nevermind.....:wacko:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
What's up yaardies fam! I haven't been here in a while, but honestly, I've just been going through a whole lot since the fiasco back in Dec...you know, when things don't go according to plan, your entire existence can be thrown totally out of whack---but slowly, I am trying to get back to some routine and get myself together for the next step in this process...I've see since I've been gone that I've offended some folks....to that I say....Sorry...I felt what I felt, just like you felt what you felt....if that offended you, wasn't intentional...for the rest of you---GOOD LUCK on your upcoming journeys into the new year....for the record, I am NOW planning a destination wedding to Runaway Bay for Oct. of this year...we are not going to let anything negative get in the way of our wanting to be together and celebrate in love!! I will keep you posted with further plans--and if any of you are down there and want to drop by--FEEL FREE!!! I'm actually more excited now about the wedding being down there and having my family and friends experience all of the joy, beauty, and love that is JAMAICA!

Good to hear from you Belly's Girl and glad everything is doing well. Congrats on your wedding plans!!

Hello family.

Damien and I celebrated 2 our anniversary today :wub: Looking forward to many more...

My mother reserved a nice hotel room for us last night. I decided to keep it a secret from Damien. My friends decorated the room with balloons, rose petals, heart shaped confetti, and Hershey Kisses (heart shape on the bed). They also put Appleton rum, chocolate fondue with strawberries and oils for massages in our room. We had a wonderful night. Damien was pleasantly surprised.

Happy Anniversary!!

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline
Have a nice weekend!!! :dance:

Jax -- The POLICE RECORD is good for six months. I am sure you will have your interview within that time. If he's in the neighborhood have him go get it -- it will be one less thing you have to worry about. You can do it "expedited" which I believe is 2-3 days (next day might be available now) or "regular" which was like 9 days.

AND =--= there was a time when people were talking about "certified photos" -- I don't think anyone here ever got their photos "certified" in fact, I'm not sure we ever figured out what that was suppose to be. I know Roy didn't do that and we had no problems.

Trinilad -- It's so nice to hear Iffiesha is doing well.

Mindy thanks!!

I just got an update from NVC and they say that I am missing info so they are sending me a letter telling me what I am missing bummer. They reviewed my case quickly it only took 2 1/2 weeks. Now I have 6 to 8 weeks more to wait. They mailed me the info this Friday.. I can't imagine what the heck I even missed I sent so much information in. RATS!!

Everyone have a great weekend!!

Jax

I'm sure it's not a big deal. You will be done before you know it.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I went to a Caribbean night last Friday and two girls tried to pick me up :o Damien could not stop laughing.....boy, was I upset.

If I may ask a personal question, why were you so upset? I would take it as a compliment which I'm sure it was. I have a friend who's a lesbian and I've been to gay bars with her on occasion and if someone hit on me, I just said I'm sorry, I'm straight and that was it.

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but it may be a very interesting topic! :blush:

I was upset because Damien was making fun of me the entire night...it got old.

He knew I was a little uncomfortable. Some of those women can be very aggressive and I didn't want the drama. I have a few lesbian friends and family members so I being around them doesn't bother me.

Timeline

I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking of doing it once Javon's arrives later this year (hopefully). No one knows we are married except for a hand full of ppl. We are planning on having the "real wedding" and then I will decide. Right now it's pretty much up in the air and I try to avoid this topic w/him b/c of couse he wants me to.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Has anyone had to renew their Jamaican passport since they have been in the states? Roy's doesn't expire for a year (I'm a freak, I know :wacko:)

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Timeline
Has anyone had to renew their Jamaican passport since they have been in the states? Roy's doesn't expire for a year (I'm a freak, I know :wacko:)

He can get it renewed thru the Consulate. There is one downtown Chicago on Jackson but you have to be there very early.

Sorry I meant to say King Dr. I was thinking of the immigration bldg. Check this website.

Edited by nyseness

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
Good morning!

Only 3 more sleeps and he will be here. I feel like I am counting down for a trip to Jamaica. :dance::dance:

Then we can argue (or should I say) disagree face to face. I don't know if it is because he is getting nervous but he has be short with me. :yes: Oh well, it is the beginning. :whistle:

He will be coming in either at 9:30 pm if all goes well with immigration at JFK or he can catch the 10:00 pm flight and get into Boston at 11:30. I am taking Friday off so we can go out and about and Monday is MLK holiday and I have that off too.

I guess I am getting nervous too!! :)

Darlene,

I am soooooo excited for you. I hope the days till he gets here fly by and when he gets here they sloooooow down! Enjoy. :dance: :dance:

Abbreviated Time Line

4/06 * Started the process with Vermont

6/06 * Get approved in US

8/06 * Found out from Embassy our package #3 is lost in the mail (one month),

Ricardo drives to Kingston to pick up duplicate (before you needed appointment to do so)

9/06 * Finally reach the embassy by phone and told- no date for interview until November

10/06 * Receive package and date for INTERVIEW November 9, 2006

11/06 * Ricardo waits too long to get police report -- we cant do our interview

12/06-1/29 *** We wait for our new interview date while the embassy moves and

re-organizes???

1/29/06 * NEW INTERVIEW DATE 2/27/07

Messed up the 156 Got turned away at first window, no interview

3/1/06 ** THIRD INTERVIEW DATE 3/27/07

3/27/07 !!!!!!!VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

4/10/07 * Ricardo picked up VISA at Montego Bay Airpack

4/22/07 ***Ricardo is here!! Pinch me so I know I am not dreaming!!!!!

7/6/07 ** We are married (waited almost full 90 days).

7/14/07 * Mailed out AOS

7/30/07 * Received NOA's for EAD and AOS dated 7/25/07 and Biometrics appt. 8/17/07

10/3/07 * Received EAD card in the mail dated 9/25

12/18/07 * Case transferred to California Service Center

03/07/08 * Received Welcome Letter

03/11/08 * GREEN CARD arrives in Mail (Done for two years)

Timeline

I have changed my name on a lot of items. I don't have my orginal Marriage Certificate so I am waiting on SS card. You can go ahead and change everything else if you want. I didn't find it to be such a hassle. Drivers license. passport, bank accounts and ect. Don't need the orginal. I changed my name so my family can all have the same last name. My mom and dad were upset because I had a very uncommon name and now I have a very common last name something like Smith. I am glad know no one will say are u related to so and so is that your dad. My dad is high up in the IL adminstration and every time I interviewed everyone knew him. Yes your last name may open some doors but I am fine teaching were I am. Sorry to go on and on.

The Phone card thing I check Rhonda. I get a minute at 6.9 cents. I bought a card for 20 dollars at I Chat and got 292 mintues. Using division and multiplying it comes out right. Tell me if that checks out to be right. There is 0 connection fee and no rounding up after a certian dollar amount. You have had me puzzled all day. hmmmm ???? :)

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.