StarA

Please some quick questions about adjustment

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi!

All I need is some quick answers....

Been going through the forums here, at least 1 hour now. Been researching in 2 months, either the information im seeking costs or cant be found EVEN though its probably soo easy!!!

I live in california, and im a international student (F-1 student visa from sweden), got here through that legally and my visa wont expire until 2012. Got married to my wife a month ago (she's a permanent citizen).

Now what I am trying to do is, to change status go for citizenship etc etc.

I heard its i-485, i-765 and i-130 something if I remember correctly.

----

1. What forms do I need? adjusting status work permit etc etc etc?

2. In WHAT ORDER should the forms be sent? (cause i heard my wife should send i-130 FIRST then the other forms)

3. How long will THINGS take?

---

One's saying it takes years, one another is saying the work permit will be given after 3 months u sent the application and the greencard given after 10 months.

Please, I tried to figure this out for MONTHS...first time im taking a step and writing in a forum about it...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It really takes as long as it takes for them to process your information and get things done.. Specially as to how complicated the case is the longer it can take. You will likely have an interview as to your situation ( coming from a student visa )

First of all .. DO NOT LEAVE AMERICA!! if you leave you will be screwed.. to put it lightly.

Here is the guide for what you need to do, its very explanitory! which should be helpfull to you. If you need guides to fill out the actual forms the VJ website has thos as well in the example forms section!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

You will need a payment for the AOS which is 1010$ and also a payment for the I-130 which is 355$.

AOS needs 6 passport photos. Not sure how many the I-30 needs if any but the instructions should tell you.

You will need your LONG FORM birth certificate, im not completely sure on this but I do believe you need a full medical done by a civil surgeon listed on the USCIS website as well.

--sorry forgot to add the order, you send them all together at the same time in the same envelope. We used one of thos security envelopes with the blue printing all on the inside so that people wouldnt be able to see the check / papers in it just for peace of mind. -- if you do not send the forms all at the same time you will run into big big big problems.

Edited by Inky

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Hi thank u so much...

Damn thats a lot of money...1010 + 355 for all of it?? heh jeez.

ok 2 questions,

1. I can go back home visit my family for 3 weeks IF i ask for permition right? Heard you can do that. and that u'r only screwed if u leave without saying anything

2. I got to the link u gave me...seems pretty easy.. But i thought it was 3 forms. Its like 6 forms in there :S

Hi thank u so much...

ok 2 questions,

1. I can go back home visit my family for 3 weeks IF i ask for permition right? Heard you can do that. and that u'r only screwed if u leave without saying anything

2. I got to the link u gave me...seems pretty easy.. But i thought it was 3 forms. Its like 6 forms in there :S

Hey StarA...

Yep lots of money... at least with your visa not expiring for a few years you have a lot of time... Also don't forget to budget for your medical... Mine cost $125 plus an additional charge if you need any additional vaccinations.

One of the forms you'll fill out is the I-131 request for advance parole/travel document... It takes about 45 - 90 days to arrive... You'll need that to get back into the country...

Yep there are a lot of forms! the I-864 (financial affidavit of support) and the I-693 (medical) are part of the I-485... the G-325a you'll need for both the I-130 and the I-485... Plus the travel and ead optional forms...

I didn't look at the link... So ignore me if its already updated but the USCIS brought out a new edition of the I-693 medical form a few days ago. The civil surgeon where you go for the medical should have it, but you might want to print it off the USCIS website to be sure.

Good Luck!

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi thank u so much...

ok 2 questions,

You will have to wait untill you get your " AP " card, which is called advanced parole which lets you leave the country and come back etc before you get your green card. if you leave without the AP card then you will have to file a CR-1, the odds of them letting you back in without an AP is slim to none and I wouldnt want you to get stuck far from your wife for a long time!! that would be really sucky.

- you can try making an infopass appointment tho and if its an extreme situation such as someone is dying ( i really hope not ) from your family and you have to leave, its possible they may give you a temporary pass but im not 100% sure they would for just a trip somewhere.

http://infopass.uscis.gov/

It is all fairly easy as long as you take the time to go over things very carefully as it can be kind of tricky if you are just going over it really fast.

its quite alot of forms yes but you do need them all ! the two that say optional are the AP card and the EAD card. EAD lets you work before your green card comes. AP lets you travel before it comes. if you dont have to do these and can wait till your green card you dont have to file them but they are included with the 1010$. if you file them after you already sent the aos packet in then you have to pay extra for thos forms. might as well do it for no extra cost! - some of the forms are only 1 page.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline
Got married to my wife a month ago (she's a permanent citizen).

Just checking... your wife is a US citizen not a permanent resident?

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Hi guys...

Thanx for ya replies......

Inky:

1. AOS is $1010, ok but what forms are AOS ? :/

2. Any advise where I can get one of those envelopes?

Marie09:

OH MY God...$125 ?????? wait is this for the I-693 - Medical Examination ??

I guess it is, but, the new changes... didnt get your point.

i mean, what changes are there in the I-693 compared to the old form?

2. Ok so with all the forms (I-130, G-325a, I-693, I-864, I-485, I-765, I-131A), AND the medical thingy, it will be: $1010 + $355 + $125 for the whoooooooooole thing ? :/

Jon&Lindsey:

Hi =), My wife´s a US citizen

---

btw.....any one of u kinda wiz on the eligibility categories thingy in the i-765 form .......?

Hi guys...

Marie09:

OH MY God...$125 ?????? wait is this for the I-693 - Medical Examination ??

Yes that was the cost for the medical examination it varies on where you go but I believe around $100 - $200 is average

i mean, what changes are there in the I-693 compared to the old form?

You have to ensure you use the correct edition of each form, otherwise it could be rejected. I'm not sure the exact change to the I-693 form i think it's a different tb testing technique. Just heard they'd just brought out a new form. From what i read they're honoring the old form until the end of the year. Don't worry about it though your civil surgeon should have the current form. Plus they'll likely be pretty knowledgeable on the changes... It's their job.

2. Ok so with all the forms (I-130, G-325a, I-693, I-864, I-485, I-765, I-131A), AND the medical thingy, it will be: $1010 + $355 + $125 for the whoooooooooole thing ? :/

Yep it gets expensive, we budgeted $2000 for it... But it hasn't reached that yet.. But the only additional expenses other than what you mentioned was the passport photos (the post office charged us $75 for 8 - maybe you can find somewhere cheaper?) And vaccinations which I was missing - but since you're in school you'll likely be all set on the vaccination part.

btw.....any one of u kinda wiz on the eligibility categories thingy in the i-765 form .......?

©(9)

Good Luck!!!

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Hi guys...

Inky:

1. AOS is $1010, ok but what forms are AOS ? :/ I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765, G-325 a for USC and you, I-693, can all be found here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

2. Any advise where I can get one of those envelopes? Just use a normal large envelope if you send via postal service, otherwise the courier can give it to you, e.g. Fedex

Marie09:

OH MY God...$125 ?????? wait is this for the I-693 - Medical Examination ?? I paid $230 for my medical, depends on your civil surgeon what they charge

i mean, what changes are there in the I-693 compared to the old form? Updated form can be found online here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD USCIS changes the forms sometimes and you have to make sure you are sending in the current forms, or else your AOS will be rejected

Yes. Even more with the pictures and the money for gas to go to the place where they do the biometrics and the interview.

Jon&Lindsey:

Hi =), My wife´s a US citizen

---

My tip for you is to make yourself familiar with the whole process on www.uscis.gov. You can find all the answers right there. They tell you exactly what to send in and how to organize your AOS package. Good luck!

Edited by Betti

Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...

AOS completed in 11/2009

ROC completed in 06/2012
Received BBG from Germany in 02/2013

Passed N-400 interview and civics test 06/07/2013

Oath ceremony some time in July

• 1 month later...

Guys, first of all thanx for all your advise. Think I have put my self in big trouble.

I sent in all applications, my birthdate is 5 september. But my REAL birthdate is 27 october (same year though).

My parents changed it when we moved from iran (so that I could start school earlier).

Now in the application I sent in a Extract Of the popular Register(original stamped and translated by the goverment of Sweden),

showing the 5 september, my parents name etc, PLUS my birth place.

I also sent in copies of my passport, showing my birthdate AND birth place.

They also have record of my papers when I moved to USA showing the SAME Thing..

STILL........they put a stop on my application cause they need a Birth certificate (Shenasnameh. And my parents name on it, and birthplace.

But on that one it says 28 october, so im screwed. It says the Department of National registration and statistics can get my original bith certificate but I cant use that cause it will still show 28 october, and not 5 september. So I cant say I dont have any birth certificate, cause they will say the Department registration can get it for u.

Only thing i HAVE that I CAN use is my mothers passport, where on one page it shows her children name and where we were born and ONLY what YEAR we were born. But it doesnt say 5 september, and my fathers name is not on it.

What should I do ? Should I just be honest? what are the consequences of that u think? :/

CAnt belive it I mean my passport, and paper from the Goverment of sweden showing EXACTLY what they ask for still their givin me a hard time............

Filed: Timeline
Guys, first of all thanx for all your advise. Think I have put my self in big trouble.

I sent in all applications, my birthdate is 5 september. But my REAL birthdate is 27 october (same year though).

My parents changed it when we moved from iran (so that I could start school earlier).

Now in the application I sent in a Extract Of the popular Register(original stamped and translated by the goverment of Sweden),

showing the 5 september, my parents name etc, PLUS my birth place.

I also sent in copies of my passport, showing my birthdate AND birth place.

They also have record of my papers when I moved to USA showing the SAME Thing..

STILL........they put a stop on my application cause they need a Birth certificate (Shenasnameh. And my parents name on it, and birthplace.

But on that one it says 28 october, so im screwed. It says the Department of National registration and statistics can get my original bith certificate but I cant use that cause it will still show 28 october, and not 5 september. So I cant say I dont have any birth certificate, cause they will say the Department registration can get it for u.

Only thing i HAVE that I CAN use is my mothers passport, where on one page it shows her children name and where we were born and ONLY what YEAR we were born. But it doesnt say 5 september, and my fathers name is not on it.

What should I do ? Should I just be honest? what are the consequences of that u think? :/

CAnt belive it I mean my passport, and paper from the Goverment of sweden showing EXACTLY what they ask for still their givin me a hard time............

You got an RFE for a Birth Certificate??

Send the Birth Certificate and try to explain the situation at the interview... that's your best shot... unless you were committing fraud on two identities or something like that you should have no problems I don't think, unless you're using two identities with the 2 different birth dates, this isn't your fault right? send the BC and see what they say about that and if you get a chance to explain, explain!

I just finished reading a brand spanking new book on immigration "The Immigrant's Way," written by a highly respected immigration attorney for 40 years. In it was a chapter on a young girl from China who arrived in the US with a visa and applied for AOS, but failed to correct a mistake made in one of her documents earlier. I believe it was the birth certificate. That turned out to be a case of misrepresentation, as the dates later didn't match and she was unable to adjust status, was deported and got a ban on top of it.

I don't have the book here at work, but will look up the chapter and get back to you with more detail when I get home.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

what the... :S

is it true that I can translate my OWN shenasnameh (BIRTH Certificate) to english ?

I mean..im not a certified translator, i dont have a stamp.

And when sending in the copy of the original, and my translation to english, and my signature, thats enough ??? :S

Filed: Timeline

no, you cannot translate yourself. Find a certified translator to translate the Birth Certificate, they do it for a fee. Nobody is saying "that will be enough", but coming clean is always your best bet, especially since this does not seem to be your fault but your parents' fault.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.