VudoMenudo

Bonafide Relationship

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Steve and I am engaged to my lovely Thuy. I live in Chicago and she lives in Ho Chi Minh City. We have known each other for 10 months. I came back from my 2nd trip to VN in September, where we had our Dinh Hon. We had the Dinh Hon in VN with her family and we plan to have the wedding in Chicago with my family. I have been roaming around as a guest for the last month or so, but finally decided to become a member because I am about to file the I-129F petition. Anyways, I wanted to include evidence of both of my trips to VN, including our Dinh Hon with the I-129F. Recently, I added Thuy to my life insurance policy as the beneficiary. I also opened up a joint bank account in both our names and I am thinking of adding her name to my apartment for the apartment lease contract. I felt these were good things to do, to begin the transition for her new live in the US after we get married. I will definitely include passport stamps, boarding passes, pictures, emails, receipts, time line, relatives in the US, etc. for evidence, so that part is good. Do you guys think it is a good idea to also add evidence of the insurance policy, the joint bank account and the apartment lease with her name with my I-129F? I don't know for sure. I just wanted to add these to show not only evidence of bonafide relationship but also our future intentions to live together in the US. Would this be ok or should I keep it out? Thanks!

Sent the I-129F petition to USCIS on Aug 20, 2010

I-129F Approved!!! Feb 7, 2011

Returned P3 to Consulate Mar 7, 2011

Interview Date May 20, 2011

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Steve and I am engaged to my lovely Thuy. I live in Chicago and she lives in Ho Chi Minh City. We have known each other for 10 months. I came back from my 2nd trip to VN in September, where we had our Dinh Hon. We had the Dinh Hon in VN with her family and we plan to have the wedding in Chicago with my family. I have been roaming around as a guest for the last month or so, but finally decided to become a member because I am about to file the I-129F petition. Anyways, I wanted to include evidence of both of my trips to VN, including our Dinh Hon with the I-129F. Recently, I added Thuy to my life insurance policy as the beneficiary. I also opened up a joint bank account in both our names and I am thinking of adding her name to my apartment for the apartment lease contract. I felt these were good things to do, to begin the transition for her new live in the US after we get married. I will definitely include passport stamps, boarding passes, pictures, emails, receipts, time line, relatives in the US, etc. for evidence, so that part is good. Do you guys think it is a good idea to also add evidence of the insurance policy, the joint bank account and the apartment lease with her name with my I-129F? I don't know for sure. I just wanted to add these to show not only evidence of bonafide relationship but also our future intentions to live together in the US. Would this be ok or should I keep it out? Thanks!

hi there!!! yes. all the documents you think that can proof that you have a on-going relationship with your fiancee can help. but about the insurance, i dont think its good if you will add her as your beneficiary, you have to get married before you add her. but if you really like, do it. im just saying my opinion about that. and besides, in the insurance policy, they will ask what is your relation to this person? you will say, fiance? its better if you will answer, MY WIFE! So, get married first. :)

goodluck to both of you.

I gave up everything I loved, that I might gain your love..."

Romans 8:31-32

By His wounds, we are HEALED... GOD LOVES US!

:)

Timeline

Hi there,

I am sorry for the confusion. I made a mistake about the insurance. What I meant to say was that I would like to add her to my insurance policy as the beneficiary. I believe I am able to add anybody as the beneficiary but I will have to consult with my HR department from work to make sure. How about the joint bank account and adding her name to my apartment lease contract? Are those a good or bad thing to do?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hello everyone,

Hello friend

Not yet too early my friend ,not help you anyway

Johncali9

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
does the bank require SSN from your fiance?

I am thinking about doing the same thing. But it thought Bank of America ask for SSN. I might have to switch bank

All the bank will need the signature of the account holder in person. So unless your fiancee is in the US with you, no bank can add her name to your existing account. It happens to me even though we are married and have my wife's passport/marriage certificate.

You can add your fiancee as a beneficiary anyplace you can think of though.

Peter.

Citibank Credit Card Allow you to add a person without a social security number, as another authorized user. I was able to get my wife a credit card under my account with her own name on it. You can print out that statement and use it as a piece of your evidence.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

They can get a credit card as a cardholder on your account... However, since 9/11 they cannot get a bank account or be added to a SU account unless they have a SSN... You can get them and ITTN, (a SSN for foreign non residents) but without that, they cannot be on an account... US govt rules

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I am not sure if Wachovia will allow me to create a joint bank account with Thuy while she is still living in VN. Perhaps when I visit her again in a couple of months, I can ask her if she would like to create a joint bank account with me in VN. In any case, does anybody here who filed for K-1 have any experience with using joint bank accounts as evidence of bonafide relationship? I heard the HCMC consulate is tough to deal with and may look at this type of activity as fraudulent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
Hello,

Thank you for your help. I am not sure if Wachovia will allow me to create a joint bank account with Thuy while she is still living in VN. Perhaps when I visit her again in a couple of months, I can ask her if she would like to create a joint bank account with me in VN. In any case, does anybody here who filed for K-1 have any experience with using joint bank accounts as evidence of bonafide relationship? I heard the HCMC consulate is tough to deal with and may look at this type of activity as fraudulent.

Well, I am not sure about a joint account in Vietnam.... But without a SSN you cannot get a joint bank account with her in the USA.... But the consulates know this as it is part of the anti-terrorism laws post 9/11 ... But you sound like you have a good basis for evidence already so I would concentrate on the other stuff (photos, chats, visits, family affadavits, photos and trips together as well as the insurance benificerary and lease)... And you should be in good shape

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline
Hello,

You're going to get different opinions on this, so ultimately you're going to have to make up your own mind. In my opinion, the CO expects to see financial ties between the petitioner and the beneficiary if they are married, but not if they are engaged. It's possible it could even backfire, and the CO might presume the beneficiary is a gold digger. This is not so common in Vietnam, but it's a huge problem in the former Soviet states. Personally, I would leave the financial evidence out.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hello,

You're going to get different opinions on this, so ultimately you're going to have to make up your own mind. In my opinion, the CO expects to see financial ties between the petitioner and the beneficiary if they are married, but not if they are engaged. It's possible it could even backfire, and the CO might presume the beneficiary is a gold digger. This is not so common in Vietnam, but it's a huge problem in the former Soviet states. Personally, I would leave the financial evidence out.

Good point Jim.. or even worse they could assume the two are already married and thus ineligible for K-1...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Hello,

Good point Jim.. or even worse they could assume the two are already married and thus ineligible for K-1...

I agree. I would avoid the bank account thing on a K-1. You cannot get her added to an account here without an SSN as was stated earlier and I think creating an account in VN might look strange. For front-loading I would focus on the evidence of your relationship, not money (including the beneficiary of the life ins). Focus on time together, things you've done, hotel receipts, photos, boarding passes, a timeline. Make them feel your love story for the first 10 months.

Timeline

From what I understand, it may be best not to create a joint bank account, not to put her as the beneficiary on my life insurance policy and also not to put her name on my apartment lease contract. These activities are more for those filing the K-3 or CR-1 visas because they are expected behaviors when you have a spouse, not a fiance. I did some research and found that some of these are actually examples on the I-130 for proof of a bonafide marriage! Wow, I am happy I caught this before I filed my I-129F. I just want to have evidence of a relationship with a fiance. Am I correct on this?

I basically would like to send evidence of a bonafide relationship with my petition, on top of just the regular evidence showing how we first met. Since I would like to "front load" my I-129F somewhat, should I just focus on pictures, passport stamps, boarding passes, receipts, emails, chat longs, etc.? Would it do any harm of I show some evidence of our wedding plans in the US?

Timeline
From what I understand, it may be best not to create a joint bank account, not to put her as the beneficiary on my life insurance policy and also not to put her name on my apartment lease contract. These activities are more for those filing the K-3 or CR-1 visas because they are expected behaviors when you have a spouse, not a fiance. I did some research and found that some of these are actually examples on the I-130 for proof of a bonafide marriage! Wow, I am happy I caught this before I filed my I-129F. I just want to have evidence of a relationship with a fiance. Am I correct on this?

I basically would like to send evidence of a bonafide relationship with my petition, on top of just the regular evidence showing how we first met. Since I would like to "front load" my I-129F somewhat, should I just focus on pictures, passport stamps, boarding passes, receipts, emails, chat longs, etc.? Would it do any harm of I show some evidence of our wedding plans in the US?

When front loading a petition for the consulate in HCM, focus first on any red flags in your case. A mountain of bonafide relationship evidence isn't going to overcome red flags which haven't been adequately addressed. Once you feel you've sufficiently addressed any red flags then you can add some bonafides evidence.

Some evidence of wedding plans might be good. Lately, the consulate in HCM has been pinning K1 beneficiaries down for not knowing about the wedding plans.

Make absolutely sure your fiancee knows everything you submit with the petition, and understands it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.