one...two...tree

Would You Turn Vegetarian to Slow Global Warming?

78 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I don't think many people understand farming. For instance, it's impossible to make a real wage in farming (without some form of government subsidy and you can't get rich), but it's possible to get incredibly rich in food manufacturing. Where is the sense in that?

I know a couple corn farmers who make a $^#^ ton of money. Not to mention a lot of them pay cash for those $450,000 to $1,000,000 combines and tractors. John Deere and Harvester's ain't cheap. Field of Dreams is not an accurate adaptation of corn farming.

I don't know what Field of Dreams is, that is not where I source my information. Your 'corn farming mates', what is their current government subsidy level?

I have no idea what their level is, but they grow corn and beans on their own land. I couldn't possibly know the 2 richest farmers around.

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-08-18

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-23

NVC Received : 2009-10-27

NVC Left : 2009-11-06

Consulate Received : 2009-11-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-27

Interview Date : 2009-12-16

Interview Result : APPROVED

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 66 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 120 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
the living conditions for cows are horrendous. They often stand in areas with little-to-no room and are surrounded by their own feces. Eventually these cows acquire an infection or two, so antibiotics are given -- which apparently get absorbed into the cow's meat and can trickle down into those who eat the cow later on. The cows are also given growth hormones which adversely affect them.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
No I would not turn vegetarian to stop global warming.

If me turning vegetarian is all that stood between continued human existence on earth and total extinction, I'd opt for extinction.

Would you go vegetarian in exchange for "sex on tap"?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

AJ has arrived. It is now time to ask us guys:

Would you give up meat if your ####### cold be enlarged?

Perhaps a poll should be started.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

I don't think many people understand farming. For instance, it's impossible to make a real wage in farming (without some form of government subsidy and you can't get rich), but it's possible to get incredibly rich in food manufacturing. Where is the sense in that?

I know a couple corn farmers who make a $^#^ ton of money. Not to mention a lot of them pay cash for those $450,000 to $1,000,000 combines and tractors. John Deere and Harvester's ain't cheap. Field of Dreams is not an accurate adaptation of corn farming.

I don't know what Field of Dreams is, that is not where I source my information. Your 'corn farming mates', what is their current government subsidy level?

I have no idea what their level is, but they grow corn and beans on their own land. I couldn't possibly know the 2 richest farmers around.

I don't know if you could or you could not. My point is that agriculture as a business is not very profitable in general whereas food manufacturing pointedly is. There is profit in the food business, but not at the point of production. There is something very wrong with this picture, in my opinion.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Timeline
No I would not turn vegetarian to stop global warming.

If me turning vegetarian is all that stood between continued human existence on earth and total extinction, I'd opt for extinction.

Would you go vegetarian in exchange for "sex on tap"?

Depends on who's on tap. Not any woman is worth giving up meat.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Has anyone here read The Omnivore's Dilemma? If not, I'd suggest picking it up. It explains, in detail, the long term effects of mass production farming (in reference to meat and the overproduction of corn) and how the living conditions for cows are horrendous. They often stand in areas with little-to-no room and are surrounded by their own feces. Eventually these cows acquire an infection or two, so antibiotics are given -- which apparently get absorbed into the cow's meat and can trickle down into those who eat the cow later on. The cows are also given growth hormones which adversely affect them.

Sustainable farming, that which allows cows a pasture to room and eat on, produce healthier animals and therefore, better quality meat. The real problem isn't the expense (most farmers wouldn't need government subsidies if they worked this way), but the time and effort. Penning cows up is an easier solution for the farmer.

Its about getting the most production value out of each square foot of land. Very scientific, but ethically questionable.

Ethically questionable and not very healthy.

Everyone should watch the documentary Food, Inc. It's quite an eye opener.

Real love stories never have endings...

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
It would be a drastic solution that may end up being forced on a future generation anyway due to decreased arable land. Yeah, that's right. Moving north with farms and ranches won't yield much arable land due to that land not being properly progressed for that kind of use.

Hopefully policy will follow the voice of reason on this and stem the major causative factors first so the catastrophic changes already in commencement won't hit our grandkids too hard.

That's when the steak eaters start eating people.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
There will always be rats.

Mmmm... rat on a stick and mouse in a box. Rat McNuggets? Rat tail pasta. I can see this going somewhere (and that's probably in the toilet after people realize what they've just eaten).

Meh. I'm an ethical vegetarian, have been for 15 years. I do cook humanely slaughtered, free-range, sustainable meat for my husband. (Vegetarianism is my choice, not his.)

Can't really say that slowing global warming EVER popped into my head re. being a vegetarian. I don't think it occurs to most vegetarians, although that tends to become a secondary thang.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09