JayandZou

Book Suggestions for Learning Moroccan Arabic

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Well, my Moroccan husband has been in the States for 5 months with me and we just had our 3 month wedding anniversary! Our AOS appointment is next Wednesday. :) Wish us luck!

I'd really like to try to learn Moroccan Arabic. It's frustrating not to be able to speak to his family. Of course, I could learn French but they all speak Arabic to each other and it would be nice to understand a little of what is going on when I visit them... or even when he's talking to them on the phone. His mom called me on my cell the other day and all we said 1 million times to each other was "Labas, labas aleek, kolchi mazziane, beher, beslama etc." Ridiculous!

I wish there was a Moroccan Arabic class I could take here in Los Angeles but I don't think there is. If you know of any in LA or online, please let me know. I researched some books on Amazon including:

1. Travel Talk Moroccan Arabic - Audio CD (Arabic Edition)

2. Moroccan Arabic: Shnoo the Hell is Going On Hnaa? A Practical Guide to Learning Moroccan Darija - the Arabic Dialect of Morocco by Aaron Sakulich (2009)

3. A Basic Course in Moroccan Arabic With Mp3 Files (Georgetown Classics in Arabic Language and Linguistics) by Richard S. Harrell (Author), et al.

Has anyone read any of these books or do you have any good recommendations for me?

Thanks so much! Chokrane!

Jayme

Background

January 30, 2008.....Met when having lunch in a hotel in Tangier, Morocco

April, August, November 2008.....3 trips back to Morocco

December 7, 2008.....Engaged

February 2009.....4th Visit to Zouhir in Morocco

May 2009.....5th Visit to Zouhir in Morocco

USCIS - 129F Journey

January 10, 2009.....Sent I-129F to CSC

January 14, 2009.....NOA 1

March 19, 2009..... NOA 2

March 30, 2009.....NVC Received

April 1, 2009.....NVC Sent to Casablanca

April 6, 2009..... Arrived at Casablanca Consulate

April 17, 2009....Received Package 3

May 13, 2009.... INTERVIEW in Casablanca. APPROVED!

May 19, 2009..... Visa in Hand

May, 29, 2009.....Zouhir in US

July 18, 2009..... MARRIED :)

AOS Journey

August 10, 2009..... Sent AOS to Chicago

August 12, 2009..... AOS Signed for in Chicago

August 17, 2009..... NOA 1 for AOS, EAD & AP

Sept 16, 2009.....Biometrics completed

Oct 1, 2009... Approval of AOS, EAD & AP

Nov 4, 2009.....AOS appointment - Zouhir Approved for his Green Card

Nov, 18, 2009.....Greencard in Hand!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I just bought #1 and #3 from Amazon but haven't gotten very far yet. I've been working with the audio from the first lesson of #1 in the car to and from work, and I like it so far. The audio from #3 was recorded a few decades ago, so the quality isn't great, but it's usable. The textbook looks good. I haven't asked my husband to look over either one yet though.

Haven't heard of #2 -- looks interesting!

The Peace Corps textbook is also available for free download at the Friends of Morocco site.

Good luck at the AOS interview!

Edited by caybee

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

To all those interested in learing Darija, you can download a free copy of the Peace Corps textbook at this website:

http://friendsofmorocco.org/learnarabic.htm

If anybody learning in Minnesota is interested in starting a Darija conversation group, I'd be happy to organize something!

-Jenny

Hi Everyone,

Well, my Moroccan husband has been in the States for 5 months with me and we just had our 3 month wedding anniversary! Our AOS appointment is next Wednesday. :) Wish us luck!

I'd really like to try to learn Moroccan Arabic. It's frustrating not to be able to speak to his family. Of course, I could learn French but they all speak Arabic to each other and it would be nice to understand a little of what is going on when I visit them... or even when he's talking to them on the phone. His mom called me on my cell the other day and all we said 1 million times to each other was "Labas, labas aleek, kolchi mazziane, beher, beslama etc." Ridiculous!

I wish there was a Moroccan Arabic class I could take here in Los Angeles but I don't think there is. If you know of any in LA or online, please let me know. I researched some books on Amazon including:

2. Moroccan Arabic: Shnoo the Hell is Going On Hnaa? A Practical Guide to Learning Moroccan Darija - the Arabic Dialect of Morocco by Aaron Sakulich (2009)

3. A Basic Course in Moroccan Arabic With Mp3 Files (Georgetown Classics in Arabic Language and Linguistics) by Richard S. Harrell (Author), et al.

Has anyone read any of these books or do you have any good recommendations for me?

Jayme

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Those are the three books that I know of in Darija. I have used the peace corp book and the Georgetown Univ. book. They are both good but some of the vocabulary in the Georgetown book is outdated.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Thanks to all for your recommendations! I will look into them. The Peace Corps book seems good but a little overwhelming to learn by myself. I wish they had a hard copy I could buy but I guess I need to print out the 200 pages on my printer!

Thanks again,

Jayme

To all those interested in learing Darija, you can download a free copy of the Peace Corps textbook at this website:

http://friendsofmorocco.org/learnarabic.htm

If anybody learning in Minnesota is interested in starting a Darija conversation group, I'd be happy to organize something!

-Jenny

Hi Everyone,

Jayme

Background

January 30, 2008.....Met when having lunch in a hotel in Tangier, Morocco

April, August, November 2008.....3 trips back to Morocco

December 7, 2008.....Engaged

February 2009.....4th Visit to Zouhir in Morocco

May 2009.....5th Visit to Zouhir in Morocco

USCIS - 129F Journey

January 10, 2009.....Sent I-129F to CSC

January 14, 2009.....NOA 1

March 19, 2009..... NOA 2

March 30, 2009.....NVC Received

April 1, 2009.....NVC Sent to Casablanca

April 6, 2009..... Arrived at Casablanca Consulate

April 17, 2009....Received Package 3

May 13, 2009.... INTERVIEW in Casablanca. APPROVED!

May 19, 2009..... Visa in Hand

May, 29, 2009.....Zouhir in US

July 18, 2009..... MARRIED :)

AOS Journey

August 10, 2009..... Sent AOS to Chicago

August 12, 2009..... AOS Signed for in Chicago

August 17, 2009..... NOA 1 for AOS, EAD & AP

Sept 16, 2009.....Biometrics completed

Oct 1, 2009... Approval of AOS, EAD & AP

Nov 4, 2009.....AOS appointment - Zouhir Approved for his Green Card

Nov, 18, 2009.....Greencard in Hand!

I have been planning on getting Arabic for dummies...they have beginner, intermediate and advanced

it also got Hubby's approval...he is not much interested in helping me learn Arabic so I have to take matters into my own hands.

did you check Craig's List of your region? you can find a Moroccan tutor for darija. (take a native speaker, not a person from the Arab world. The dialects are quite different)

Good luck

Married: August 2005

Enter USA: July 2007

Removing condition

5/13/09 : sent I-751 package to Vermont Center

check cashed : 5/22//09

NOA1 received : 5/26/09

Biometric Letter dated 5/29/09

Biometric Appointment: 6/25/09

touched: 6/26/09

9/30/09: got an email from USCIS. Production of the card has been ordered.

10/07/09: Got 10 years GC in mail

Apply for citizenship:....

Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Jayme

I have #3- The Georgetown book, and have been told by a Moroccan friend who heard it that the darija taught in it has a northern regional dialect, I believe the native speakers they used in the MP3s were from Fes... just something you might want to know..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband had said the same thing. My Moroccan friends have all said that the northern accents are considered "better" than the southern - my husband is from the south and they always tease him about his accent.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I got the Arabic for Dummies book and was not impressed. It has a lot of information for sure, but it isn't making learning arabic any easier for me. I found it really difficult to even audibly recognize many of the sounds and so books just aren't helping. Now I did order it from Barnes and Noble as an eBook so there was no CD and that may help. So, if you do get it, I would recommend getting the physical copy.

My husband and I went scouring through Internet options on one of our chat dates and he found what, for me, was the most amazing resource. If you've been over in Morocco you probably saw this guy on TV. He's an American and Islam convert and I saw him a lot on the Moroccan TV talking about his story. But, since he has the same background as all other Americans trying to learn Arabic he has found a really creative way to make arabic accessible. His program is called "Arabic in English" www.arabicinenglish.com and you can find a lot of the segments on YouTube (just search the name) but you can also go to his website and order the DVDs and they cost about the same as one of the books.

I just had a really tough time even learning the alphabet. I tried to learn the kids' songs on the 'Net and couldn't understand but within 15 minutes of watching the segments on YouTube with my husband (on the computer even) and with us doing some reptitions together, I learned the first 8 letters of the alphabet, sounds, and I can even do some arabic writing.

I just realized I sound like a commercial. LOL! I don't usually get this excited about resources but the guy is a great teacher and it made something that had been SOOO frustrating to me become a lot easier.

Thanks for asking the question and thanks for the other recommendations...I will check them out because, like the original poster, I'd like to be able to do more than say a few words here or there too when I visit my Moroccan in-laws!

Edited by Vanessa1

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I have #3- The Georgetown book, and have been told by a Moroccan friend who heard it that the darija taught in it has a northern regional dialect, I believe the native speakers they used in the MP3s were from Fes... just something you might want to know..

Good to know! My husband's from Meknes, so maybe it will be similar, although he tells me people can distinguish a Fesi accent from a Meknesi one.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
My husband had said the same thing. My Moroccan friends have all said that the northern accents are considered "better" than the southern - my husband is from the south and they always tease him about his accent.

LoL that's like my ex from Rabat telling me that my fiance is "ghetto" because he's from Casablanca.. It reminds me of the way people from here in Baltimore talk about people from Washington DC.. so silly..

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.