jlchile

K-1 while living in chile

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi,

I just found this forum while investigating the K1 Visa. I have a few questions. I am living in Chile, and have a Chilean girlfriend. We are going to file the K1 to get married in the US, and would like to come next May. Based on what seems to be the general waiting period, I would like to start the paperwork ASAP. My question is, can I do everything from Chile and mail it to the office in my state? Going back to the US before May is not an option.

My second question is how long after receiving the Visa she has till we have to leave. I am seeing both 4 and 6 months on this one. If we have 6 months, I can start the paperwork now, but if it is only 4 months I think I would have to wait a few more months.

My third question is whether the interview is in English or Spanish.

Thanks for your help. Anybody else from Chile in this forum?

JL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Congrats on your engagement!

You will have 6 months after the interview. If you want to leave in May...you should start now anyway.

I am not going to answer your main question because someone else who knows more will have to do that. But I can say that my guess is that the most important thing is that you have a U.S. domicile. Then it is considered ok.

Have you considered marrying in Chile, and applying that way? I believe it COULD actually work better for you.

Ok now I will step aside and let the more knowledgeable folk answer. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can do almost everything from Chile. I sent my paperwork from Mexico. But you must have a US address and someone to receive the paperwork in the US (there isn't much - just the notice that they have received the initial petition and then your approval notice, unless you receive a request for additional evidence). Once the check is cashed, you can track your case online and sign up for email updates as well. A good place for an overview is here:

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/immigrant...es_1315.html#4b

Good luck

Timeline

Thanks for the fast reply. We could get married here, but we would like the marriage to be near the date of the trip, in order to have a celebration both here and there. Additionally, we don't want the marriage to be so soon.

Would a parents house count as a US domicile? The could forward any mail for me if necessary.

Another question, I can't seem to find a straight answer on: what info is needed to prove financial stability? I have tax info from 3 years past with substantial income, several thousands in savings, but no current stable job (only freelance work that isn't that often). I plan on finding a job once I go back. Is this sufficient? Or will I need a cosponsor?

Thanks

Congrats on your engagement!

You will have 6 months after the interview. If you want to leave in May...you should start now anyway.

I am not going to answer your main question because someone else who knows more will have to do that. But I can say that my guess is that the most important thing is that you have a U.S. domicile. Then it is considered ok.

Have you considered marrying in Chile, and applying that way? I believe it COULD actually work better for you.

Ok now I will step aside and let the more knowledgeable folk answer. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Im pretty sure the difference in the four and six month periods you mentioned is that an approved I129F is valid for FOUR months to try to get the K1 visa....if a visa is issued, then the visa is valid for SIX months for one entry into the United States.

Hope that helps. Good luck, and congratulations!!! :)

~Dan

2-14-2006- Engaged on a snowy night in Kiev

2-19-2006- Filed I129F

2-23-2006- NOA1 generated-REJECTED- (they said no fee attached, but I sent THE SAME CHECK back)

3-13-2006- NOA1 generated, reciept date of application

6-2-2006- (Sasha's bday) Transferred to CSC

6-14-2006- Recieved at CSC

6-23-2006- RFE generated IMBRA

6-30-2006-RFE recieved and returned by me.

7-8-2006-RFE recieved by CSC

7-11-2006-"touched" I just figured this out!!! ;)

8-3-2006 - Touched!

8-4-2006 - Touched again!

8-6-2006 - Touched again again!

8-25-2006 - Touched! Its been almost three weeks since the last one...forgot how that felt!

9-7-2006- Touched...but only because I called. :( So dissapointed right now....

9-8-2006- Touched...a real one...not because I called. Hope it actually means something like it did for Gary!

9-11-2006-APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9-12-2006-Touched again today...to NVC?

9-16-2006-NOA2 recieved in mail

10-4-2006-Petition sent to NVC

10-21-2006-Touched??? #######?!?

10-25-2006-Touched again??

10-27-2006-NVC case received!

10-30-2006-NVC sent case to Consulate in Kiev!!! Come come on hurry up!!!

11-30-2006-Interview...PASSED!

12-8-2006-arriving together at Portland International Airport!!!

1-25-2007-MARRIED!

3-6-2007-Filed EAD, AP, and I485

3-13-2007-NOA1's for all of the above. ONE year exactly from NOA1 of 129f. ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Im pretty sure the difference in the four and six month periods you mentioned is that an approved I129F is valid for FOUR months to try to get the K1 visa....if a visa is issued, then the visa is valid for SIX months for one entry into the United States.

Hope that helps. Good luck, and congratulations!!! :)

~Dan

Ah yes he is right. he means the 4 months your initial approval is valid for (although that can be extended at the consulate if necessary). Definitely 6 months.

Parents' house is a fine domicile to list (I did...although I haven't been approved yet).

Timeline

Alex,

I see you are applying through the Nebraska office, that is the one I will be using as well. Hopefully they are fast. You are going to live in Minnesota? I am from Wisconsin, which is on the border of Minnesota, and have friends there. It is a beautiful state.

Never mind, I read that wrong, obviously you are the one in minnesota.

Edited by jlchile

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
I see you are applying through the Nebraska office, that is the one I will be using as well. Hopefully they are fast.

You'll end up applying through Nebraska and then being transferred to California - the world's slowest service center. That's why it's a good idea for you to plan on 6 months for processing time in the US. You'll also want to check into the average wait time for an interview in Chile.

BTW, you're fine on income, assets, etc. if you are 125% (I think) about the poverty line - something like $16,000 US. If not, you need a sponsor. I'm thinking you'll be ok.

Timeline

The 125% is current assets, or amount earned in previous tax year?

I see you are applying through the Nebraska office, that is the one I will be using as well. Hopefully they are fast.

You'll end up applying through Nebraska and then being transferred to California - the world's slowest service center. That's why it's a good idea for you to plan on 6 months for processing time in the US. You'll also want to check into the average wait time for an interview in Chile.

BTW, you're fine on income, assets, etc. if you are 125% (I think) about the poverty line - something like $16,000 US. If not, you need a sponsor. I'm thinking you'll be ok.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
The 125% is current assets, or amount earned in previous tax year?

Here, read the instructions to the I-864 form: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/for...iles/I-864p.pdf

Not every consulate asks for 125%. Some of them ask for only 100%. But you'll need the 125% when your fiance adjusts status (after getting married).

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I live/work in Vietnam. I filed our petition from the United States when I was back for my holiday vacation last December. I used my parents address as my US domicile and we were approved. I had domicile evidence (i.e. billing mail, registered voting, etc.) for my fiancee to show at the interview if it was requested, it wasn't.

Best of luck!

Parents' house is a fine domicile to list (I did...although I haven't been approved yet).

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi,

I just found this forum while investigating the K1 Visa. I have a few questions. I am living in Chile, and have a Chilean girlfriend. We are going to file the K1 to get married in the US, and would like to come next May. Based on what seems to be the general waiting period, I would like to start the paperwork ASAP. My question is, can I do everything from Chile and mail it to the office in my state? Going back to the US before May is not an option.

My second question is how long after receiving the Visa she has till we have to leave. I am seeing both 4 and 6 months on this one. If we have 6 months, I can start the paperwork now, but if it is only 4 months I think I would have to wait a few more months.

My third question is whether the interview is in English or Spanish.

Thanks for your help. Anybody else from Chile in this forum?

JL

If you are a USC living abroad, there is a faster, more complete way to approach the immigration of your spouse/future spouse.

Married persons may petition for their spouse (immediate relative) at the US Consulate abroad. Most Consulates have some type of residency requrement for the USC to meet, but you said you are 'living there'.

The spouse then applies for an Immigrant Visa (CR-1) and when they arrive in the US, they become Permanent Residents (Green Card) immediately, saving much time and money. If you're interested, read here for a starter: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=dcf

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 10 years later...
On 20/7/2006 at 3:41 PM, meauxna said:

If you are a USC living abroad, there is a faster, more complete way to approach the immigration of your spouse/future spouse.

Married persons may petition for their spouse (immediate relative) at the US Consulate abroad. Most Consulates have some type of residency requrement for the USC to meet, but you said you are 'living there'.

The spouse then applies for an Immigrant Visa (CR-1) and when they arrive in the US, they become Permanent Residents (Green Card) immediately, saving much time and money. If you're interested, read here for a starter: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=dcf

We are planning to get the K1 visa too... im living with my Bf here in Chile...
the CR-1 is faster than the K1?

Can we file a DCF in Chile? without having any "real need"?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.