Steve S

DS156 and DS230 questions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

DS-156:

14. National Identification Number -- leave it blank?

16. 6 blanks for phone numbers, fax and pager -- ok to place only one mobile number, and leave all the rest blank or write "none"?

22. When Do You Intend To Arrive In The U.S.? (Provide specific date if known): -- ok to fill in the month and year we are hoping for, and leave day blank? Or, if we don't know the date because it all depends on how fast we get the visa, should we leave it blank?

26. How Long Do You Intend To Stay In The U.S.? -- forever? 60 years? How did people from this forum answer this question?

32. Do You Intend to Work In The U.S.? If YES, give the name and complete address of U.S. employer) -- Click YES but leave employer space blank because of course it is unknown? But this violates the instructions on the form.

39. Was this Application Prepared by Another Person On Your Behalf? -- Technically, yes. I was planning to fill out the online form, print it and take it there (or send it if I cannot be with her in Moscow when the interview date falls). The only reason for this is because it is a hassle for her to go to an internet cafe and print out the completed form. She is really feeding me all the answers, so does it matter who actually filled in the PDF form? Should I fill out my information (#40) and sign that I prepared it, and then have her sign (#41)? I don't want to be caught with a meaningless lie on technical grounds, because the online form keeps track of IP address or something. But is there anything to worry about if I state that I prepared the form for her?

DS-230:

41. Have you ever been charged, arrested or convicted of any offense or crime? (If answer is YES, please explain) -- it is written on her police record that she had a citation by traffic police in the past. Her crime? Jaywalking (I don't know what they call it over there). Should she check YES and list jaywalking?

General question:

One of the posters from Vietnam was writing about sending in their forms to the embassy, but it is my understanding that Irina does not have to send anything to Russia in advance, but just brings her prepared forms with her to the interview. Correct?

05/04/09 -- K1 visa, NOA-1

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

01/26/09 -- Interview passed in Moscow

03/02/10 -- POE, JFK airport

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/16/10 -- 2-year green card approved

04/01/13 -- 10-year green card approved

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
DS-156:

We wrote the Russian (internal) passport number

16. 6 blanks for phone numbers, fax and pager -- ok to place only one mobile number, and leave all the rest blank or write "none"? Write cell only. If it asks for more, write the same number

22. When Do You Intend To Arrive In The U.S.? (Provide specific date if known): -- ok to fill in the month and year we are hoping for, and leave day blank? Or, if we don't know the date because it all depends on how fast we get the visa, should we leave it blank? We wrote approximate date (two weeks after interview)

26. How Long Do You Intend To Stay In The U.S.? -- forever? 60 years? How did people from this forum answer this question?

FOREVER

32. Do You Intend to Work In The U.S.? If YES, give the name and complete address of U.S. employer) -- Click YES but leave employer space blank because of course it is unknown? But this violates the instructions on the form.

We said YES, after she is legally allowed to work and knows English well

39. Was this Application Prepared by Another Person On Your Behalf? -- Technically, yes. I was planning to fill out the online form, print it and take it there (or send it if I cannot be with her in Moscow when the interview date falls). The only reason for this is because it is a hassle for her to go to an internet cafe and print out the completed form. She is really feeding me all the answers, so does it matter who actually filled in the PDF form? Should I fill out my information (#40) and sign that I prepared it, and then have her sign (#41)? I don't want to be caught with a meaningless lie on technical grounds, because the online form keeps track of IP address or something. But is there anything to worry about if I state that I prepared the form for her?

YES! By FIANCE with my full name and signature.

DS-230:

41. Have you ever been charged, arrested or convicted of any offense or crime? (If answer is YES, please explain) -- it is written on her police record that she had a citation by traffic police in the past. Her crime? Jaywalking (I don't know what they call it over there). Should she check YES and list jaywalking?

It seems to be a common "crime" in Russia because my fiancee had the same annotation. We answered NO! That is not a crime. It is just a violation.

General question:

One of the posters from Vietnam was writing about sending in their forms to the embassy, but it is my understanding that Irina does not have to send anything to Russia in advance, but just brings her prepared forms with her to the interview. Correct?

Tell her not to sign any form until she is told to do so by a consular officer. It is better to be safe. And she will present everything in person. No need to send anything by mail.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
Curiously, the Almaty, Kazakhstan embassy sent DS-156K and DS-230 but no DS-156. I wonder if this was an oversight or a change in policy.

The DS-156 is created from inside a web page, then a PDF is generated. There is no direct PDF to fill out. The web page creates a bar code that contains 2 pages of data within the code. I assume that is why you must use the web page. I guess they scan this barcode and poof - 2 pages of data are automatically filled in.

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Perhaps I should rephrase my comment...

The Almaty Embassy did not advise a K-1 beneficiary that a DS-156 was required.

I echo all of clueless' responses.

Do a DS-156 just in case. You DO want to be proactive.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline
I am swimming in forms; I suppose that one more won't make much difference.

Keep treading. There are more to come, for sure!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

Upon further examination, the DS-156 is required at a visa interview in Almaty. The moral of this story is to read every attachment in microscopic detail and not to expect organization or adequate instructions.

Back on the original topic...

Some of the yes/no questions (question 29, for example) have additional fields "For how long?" and "Enter additional visits to the U.S. here." Does one have to go through the asinine process of indication 'none' or 'n/a' in the case of previously answering 'no' for never having been to the US?

For what it's worth, ***removed*** suggests that every field be filled and that 'none' be used in every case where there is no answer. They specifically advise against the use of 'NA' or 'n/a'.

Timeline
Perhaps I should rephrase my comment...

The Almaty Embassy did not advise a K-1 beneficiary that a DS-156 was required.

Ah, I'm dense. I just mailed off my final K-1 packet to Katya; so my mind is muddled. Sorry. :P

I had so much paperwork between the DS230, 156, 134, and proof of evidence that the UPS mailer was quite full. So much paperwork! I was going to include a copy of the I1-29F packet, just so she could see; but the packet wouldn't fit.

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Timeline
Upon further examination, the DS-156 is required at a visa interview in Almaty. The moral of this story is to read every attachment in microscopic detail and not to expect organization or adequate instructions.

Back on the original topic...

Some of the yes/no questions (question 29, for example) have additional fields "For how long?" and "Enter additional visits to the U.S. here." Does one have to go through the asinine process of indication 'none' or 'n/a' in the case of previously answering 'no' for never having been to the US?

For what it's worth, ***removed*** suggests that every field be filled and that 'none' be used in every case where there is no answer. They specifically advise against the use of 'NA' or 'n/a'.

Yes

Remember with all this paperwork - it's going to be sorted by govt. people. Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Not to say less is more, but do what's required, and not much else. Fill in the blanks with applicable info, if none is applicable, write none. If you're not sure if you should include something or not... then don't! If it specifically asks for something, send it. Otherwise, keep it at home.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
DS-156:

16. 6 blanks for phone numbers, fax and pager -- ok to place only one mobile number, and leave all the rest blank or write "none"?

22. When Do You Intend To Arrive In The U.S.? (Provide specific date if known): -- ok to fill in the month and year we are hoping for, and leave day blank? Or, if we don't know the date because it all depends on how fast we get the visa, should we leave it blank?

DS-230:

General question:

14. Internal passport number

16. "None" if none

22. After visa issuance

26 NA

32 NA

39. You can answer yes if you want but that is for professional preparation. Go ahead and answer yes, makes no difference really, you are allowed to prepare it for her...I did. Alla never touched a form except to sign them.

41. Jaywalking is not a crime. Answer "NO"

each consulate handles it different, in Moscow you bring everything. For this part you need to follow the consulate rules, what pother people do at other consulates have no bearing on what you do.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.