Stephen + Elisha

ID requirements for SSN application

17 posts in this topic

According to the VJ SSN Guide, my fiancee should bring "another form of valid ID" in addition to her passport and I-94 when we go to the Social Security office to apply for her SSN.

I'm wondering what others used for the second form of ID. Thanks!

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

My wife used her drivers license.

Foreign driver's license? Elisha has her Korean license, as well as an International Driver's License. Will that suffice?

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Timeline
According to the VJ SSN Guide, my fiancee should bring "another form of valid ID" in addition to her passport and I-94 when we go to the Social Security office to apply for her SSN.

It's wrong. If applying as a K-1 and before you are married, passport, I-94 and birth certificate (BC) is what I would take. A lot of times just the passport and I-94 will work, but the birth certificate is the preferred proof of age, even though the passport can be used. So take the BC if you have it.

I took my passport and BC. The only forms of government issued ID I own.

Oh and my marriage license....as the bio notice was in my married name.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: Other Timeline

It's wrong. If applying as a K-1 and before you are married, passport, I-94 and birth certificate (BC) is what I would take. A lot of times just the passport and I-94 will work, but the birth certificate is the preferred proof of age, even though the passport can be used. So take the BC if you have it.

This is what Wes did. He didn't have any other ID.

Got the number no problems.

This is what Wes did. He didn't have any other ID.

Got the number no problems.

Nik just applied last Friday. He only showed his passport (OK, that counts as visa, I94 + bio page). No problems, and we didn't even have to whip out the bit from their manual which says he's eligible.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

I brought the passport (with the I-94 stapled inside, obviously), his national identity card, and his birth certificate. The woman seemed thrilled at first that we brought the birth certificate, but as soon as she saw that it was in French, she handed it right back to us.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I brought the passport (with the I-94 stapled inside, obviously), his national identity card, and his birth certificate. The woman seemed thrilled at first that we brought the birth certificate, but as soon as she saw that it was in French, she handed it right back to us.

something werid going on here for us then.

I went with my american fiancee to the local SS office this week after we got married for me to obtain my SSN.

I went with my british passport and I-94 plus our marriage license and was told that they couldnt give me an SSN

till the adjustment of status !

Why is it that it seems others have been given an SSN without any problem and yet we have been told I cannot get my SSN till after i complete AOS?

I entered on a K1 on Oct 3rd and married on Oct 16th.

was I just unlucky and got a dingbat who didnt know what they were doing ?

I went with my american fiancee to the local SS office this week after we got married for me to obtain my SSN.

I went with my british passport and I-94 plus our marriage license and was told that they couldnt give me an SSN

till the adjustment of status !

Why is it that it seems others have been given an SSN without any problem and yet we have been told I cannot get my SSN till after i complete AOS?

I entered on a K1 on Oct 3rd and married on Oct 16th.

was I just unlucky and got a dingbat who didnt know what they were doing ?

Did you print the section of the Social Security employees' manual that tells them they're supposed to issue SSNs to K-1 holders?

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/links/0100203500

We didn't need it when we went—the worker who waited on us was clearly familiar with the K-1 status—but VJ recommends taking that with you when you go to the SS office to apply in case you run into exactly such a dingbat.

Edited by Stephen + Elisha

Filed: Timeline
you are a star !

thank you very much. we will go back tomorrow armed with a big smiley face and a rolled up copy to bat the ding out of the offending person.

I'm guessing you are a male and not changing your name, so ditch the wedding ring and don't say anything about being married. Try this at another office if you strike out again at the first office.

Edited by I Quit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
you are a star !

thank you very much. we will go back tomorrow armed with a big smiley face and a rolled up copy to bat the ding out of the offending person.

I'm guessing you are a male and not changing your name, so ditch the wedding ring and don't say anything about being married. Try this at another office if you strike out again at the first office.

Actually we did one better...

We went back to the SS office today and the original woman was there but a very helpful and decent chap saw us. I had taken

with me every piece of paper I have, including the link to the manual as suggested, just incase of issues and good as gold he happily processed the request. He was very unhappy that we had to make a second visit to get this processed (he looked like a supervisor as the place was a lot busier than last time)

So... as he seemed so unhappy and had actually said "I'm really sorry you had to come back. There really should be no reason why this wasnt picked up when you last visited here" I showed him the "refusal " letter which had the agents signature on without saying a word. He narrowed his eyes as he read it and looked up at me with a smile. Handed me the paperwork to say that I should get my SSN in two weeks but may take up to 4.

I think I made someones day and un-made another's :D

Edited by Gary_UK

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.