Hops

Anything special needed for step children?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am filing next week in Calgary so I need to be sure I get everything right, is there anything special I need to do to file for my step children, i'm in the process of getting a letter from their father

any help would be appreciated

Edited by Hops

Timeline

have another question... in box 21 of form 130 it asks what was the last address you lived together, after we file the I-130 I am moving back to states to begin my new job and wife is going to reside with her mother in Red Deer, I am using her mothers address as my current, should I put this address as the last address we lived together reading from 10/30/09 to present or the address we currently live together where we are moving from on the 30th

Timeline

eh yeah no one else seems to know about step children either. do I need to file a 864 along with the I-130 or does that come later, also from what i've been reading even though i'm a canada resident i'm supposed to have filed my taxes in the US, however what if I didn't make anything that year or another year I only made $3000.00

Hi I have done this with my US citizen husband. His step daughter got her visa with me !

We did a bad thing in not doing a seperate I-130 for her, so make sure you do that. I also know that she was treated as a seperate case, with a seperate number from me. The embassy did bend over to tie things together despite our mistake.

If you have any questions re the financial papers I can ask my husband.

Daughter 11 did have an interview, and was asked only a couple of questions. What does your step dad do for his job? (She said engineering scientist working on a cure for breast cancer. I had said Engineering Manager. I like her version. She looked proud :-) Also asked if she had been to California before and if she liked it. (She has been about 8 times!)

It went fine, and she is proud of her visa. Ripping into the packet when it came. Had to grab the brown envelopes from her "just in time".

We went through London.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
I am filing next week in Calgary so I need to be sure I get everything right, is there anything special I need to do to file for my step children, i'm in the process of getting a letter from their father

any help would be appreciated

Should be seperate casefiles for each (IIRC ) - so be prepared to make multiple I-864 and DS-230 and I-130...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
eh yeah no one else seems to know about step children either. do I need to file a 864 along with the I-130 or does that come later, also from what i've been reading even though i'm a canada resident i'm supposed to have filed my taxes in the US, however what if I didn't make anything that year or another year I only made $3000.00

For the tax returns, if you were not required to file due to being under the income threshold cut off for a year, you need to attach a note to the I-864 explaining that. Each year the 1040 guide has those cut off numbers.

So for instance, in 2007 if you were Married filing Separately - the cut off dollar amount is $ 3400 U.S.

That information for 07 can be found in the guide here, page 6:

http://www.unclefed.com/IRS-Forms/2007/i1040.pdf

need to file separate I864 for each person, only pay the fee one for that. Need separate I130 for your wife and step child. As well as a notorized letter from the father giving permission for the child to move to the US.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.