endoftheroad

Girls coming from China, then we want to move to Canada

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Yeah, USA is best in the rearview mirror in our opinion but they have to come here first. Then we want to go to Canada. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and what difficulties and timeframe can we expect?

TIA! :star:

moving right along

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So let me get this straight...You want your significant other and her children to move from China to Canada, and then go from Canada to the USA? Are you a citizen of both countries?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Your group will have to become Permanent Residents of Canada.

There's a VJ member here who knows how to do it - send me a PM, I'll send you his ID.

He worked it sideways, though.. his wife came to canada, got pr status.

he is usc, but also has pr status - didn't want any border crossing issues, was easier to get domicile in canada .

their I-130 is winding down, interview next month. I'm sure he can tell you 'how to do'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

So let me get this straight...You want your significant other and her children to move from China to Canada, and then go from Canada to the USA? Are you a citizen of both countries?

I think he's wanting to get them from China to the USA, then from USA to Canada.

EotR, check out http://www.roadtocanada.com/ as well. It's like VJ, but for people immigrating to Canada. They may have some insight. I do know some friends of mine immigrating their spouses to Canada, but the spouses were originally from the US, and didn't come from elsewhere first, so I'm not sure what effect that will have. Since you're not a citizen or PR of Canada already (I'm assuming), it might make the process take a little longer for you, since you're all starting from the beginning, and don't have a foothold in Canada right now. The immigration process isn't that easy going into Canada either, and will take a number of years from start to finish I imagine (and by 'finish', I mean to the ultimate end result of citizenship). I don't know how long it will take before you actually are able to move there and live though. If you'd like, I can talk to my fiance about it. Now that I'm talking about this, I'm realizing that about 30 years ago his family actually all began in the US then moved to Canada together, due to his father having a job offer at a university there. I can see what they have to say about it, though I'm sure things have changed since then.

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There are two ways:

If you are a Canadian citizen (I will have to check if the same applies for being a Permanent Resident) then you would apply for visitor visas for your spouse and daughter at a US based Canadian Consulate. The visas should be good for 6 months - the maximum amount of time allowed for a temporary resident permit. You would then arrive at the border stating you are a returning Canadian resident. All of you should be allowed across. Once you have re-established your residency in Canada (place to live, work, etc) you would then submit the Family sponsorship applications using the 'from within' forms to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). You will need to keep your wife's and daughter's Temporary Resident permits valid so it means re-applying about 2 to 3 months before they expire to apply for a new TR permit. (The fees are reasonable, don't worry). Your wife and daughter will need to undergo immigration medicals, provide police record checks of every place they have lived for more than 6 months after the age of 16, have copies of all identification documents (properly translated) for both China and the US - and then you wait, approximately a year. Once they receive their approval, they will have to leave Canada and return to have their landing status recorded (most people just drive into the US don't even bother to go through US customs but turn around and come back through Canadian customs). They will then receive their permanent status cards in the mail shortly afterwards. Half of the time spent legally in Canada for up to 2 years (translate to one year maximum) may also be counted towards the 3 year waiting period to obtain Canadian citizenship. While waiting your wife cannot work or go to school until she receives an 'approval in principal' which means the application has been reviewed and recommended for approval but the paperwork isn't done yet. It can still be a number of months afterwards before the actual approvals arrive. Your daughter will require a student visa to attend school and this can be obtained by going in person to the closest Canadian Consulate in the US - it needs to be obtained from outside of Canada, not from within, although it can be renewed from within.

The second way is to apply for their Permanent Residence status while remaining in the US. There is a different application form that is submitted to the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo. All of the requirements are the same and all are submitted at the same time. You 'wait' after the submissions are sent - it is usually a shorter waiting time than doing the process from within Canada - and when they receive approval, then all of you cross the border together - you are a returning Canadian and they as landing immigrants. Again, they will receive their PR cards in the mail shortly afterwards.

All of the information you will require is here as are the necessary forms: http://cic.gc.ca . Interviews are seldom required, but they do sometimes happen.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am a USC, they are PRC. They are coming to the USA. After they get PR status here (which I just assume they need first) we are considering moving to Canada. They have not decided anything about USA or CAN citizenship yet. Thanks to everyone for their pointers! Lots of good info!!

Anyone else add anything?

moving right along

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.