ErsaNdGaz

British Fiance

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone! I am new to the site! :yes: I am an American citizen recently engaged to a British man. We have been together for 2 years, and just got engaged in September. He went to college in the US (where we met) but graduated May 08 so has been back in Northern Ireland since then, and we have been going back and forth every 2-3 months to see each other. I am graduating in December and would like to know the best way to go about getting him to the US legally, quickly, and permanently.

I know the fiance visa is probably the way to go, can anyone tell me how long the process usually takes? Once the paperwork is filed, is the fiance allowed to enter the US, or do they have to wait until its accepted etc?

I would really appreciate any information, its so great to hear from others going through the same thing!

Thanks so much!

The time is different between consulates and how fast you send paperwork.

Play around with this to look at other visas from the same country:

Visa Timeline Search

And yes, once it's filed you two can visit eachother.

My fiance's visited me and is visiting me again, because my consulate takes a long time with interviews.

I could have gone to the US, but we decided he'd visit me instead.

You just have to prove you're going back and not staying in the US permanently. The NOA1 is actually a pretty useful piece of paper that can help you show that you're not getting married and staying in the US, since marriage voids the visa out.

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hi everyone! I am new to the site! :yes: I am an American citizen recently engaged to a British man. We have been together for 2 years, and just got engaged in September. He went to college in the US (where we met) but graduated May 08 so has been back in Northern Ireland since then, and we have been going back and forth every 2-3 months to see each other. I am graduating in December and would like to know the best way to go about getting him to the US legally, quickly, and permanently.

I know the fiance visa is probably the way to go, can anyone tell me how long the process usually takes? Once the paperwork is filed, is the fiance allowed to enter the US, or do they have to wait until its accepted etc?

I would really appreciate any information, its so great to hear from others going through the same thing!

Thanks so much!

The first question is do you meet the minimum income requirments to sponsor him?

lolfs.gif

Thanks so much!

Hello.... I'm engaged to a UKC, too! You've come to the right place for help and support. The first thing you'll want to do is read the Guides (click the link at the top of the page), then read through the "If you are engaged" section. It's currently around a 6 month process from beginning to end.

Good luck with your journey, and congratulations!

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

WOW, so much feedback so quickly, thank you thank you thank you to everyone!! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your helpfulness and support!

-So once the paperwork is sent in, he can visit? Even if the visa is not 100% processed and issued yet? He was planning on coming in December for my birthday/graduation/Christmas so it would be wonderful if he still could!

-In regards to the minimum income requirement: No proof of this is necessary until filing Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, right? Or am I incorrect in assuming this? Also in regards to the Affidavit of Support, I do not have to be the one pledging the support do I? If we are getting help from my parents financially at first? (Since I will be just out of college, paying student loans, filing fees, etc. and he is unable to work here!) Yikes, I hope this is the case!

-Also, I love seeing people's timelines, but I have no clue what half of the acronyms mean! :help: Can somebody clue me in?

Thanks again!!

WOW, so much feedback so quickly, thank you thank you thank you to everyone!! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your helpfulness and support!

-So once the paperwork is sent in, he can visit? Even if the visa is not 100% processed and issued yet? He was planning on coming in December for my birthday/graduation/Christmas so it would be wonderful if he still could!

~ Yes, he can visit. Nothing's stopping him from visiting at all.

-In regards to the minimum income requirement: No proof of this is necessary until filing Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, right? Or am I incorrect in assuming this? Also in regards to the Affidavit of Support, I do not have to be the one pledging the support do I? If we are getting help from my parents financially at first? (Since I will be just out of college, paying student loans, filing fees, etc. and he is unable to work here!) Yikes, I hope this is the case!

~ He will need this at the interview stage. If you can't support him alone, your parents can be co-sponsors and they have to fill out another sheet with their income and such. Worry about getting your petition in first before you think about this.

-Also, I love seeing people's timelines, but I have no clue what half of the acronyms mean! :help: Can somebody clue me in?

~ NOA = Notice of Action

~ RFE = Request for Evidence

~ NVC = National Visa Center

Ask for more if you need it. :lol:

Thanks again!!

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Touched is when your file is physically touched by one of the employees there.

It could be them taking the check out, it moving from desk to desk, or they're working on it.

Most of the time it really doesn't mean much, but it's a good indicator that they are doing something to your petition instead of it sitting in a pile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Abbreviations and Immigration Terms:

AAO Administrative Appeals Office

AO Adjudications Officer

ADIT Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications System (ADIT Photo's no longer used by the USCIS )

AOS Affidavit of Support

AOS Adjustment of Status

AP Advance Parole (most common) or Administrative Processing

AR Administrative Review

Consulate Work place of a diplomat who's job is to look after the interest of it's citizens in a foreign country. This is also where visas are processed

BCIS Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services

Biometrics Biormetrics are fingerprints, signatures, photographs and other material used to personally and uniquely identify a person.

CO Consulate Officer

CPR Conditional Permanent Resident

CBP Customs and Border Protection

CSC California Service Center

DOJ Department of Justice.

DOS Department of State

DHS Department of Homeland Security

EAD Employment Authorization Document

e-File E-Filing is a process of filing form specific immigration related benefits online

Embassy The building in which an ambassador lives or works. The Embassy does not process visas

EWI Entered WIthout Inspection

FAQ Frequently Asked Questions

Green Card A document issued by the USCIS that proves your legal status as a Permanent Resident in the US.

LPR Legal Permanent Resident (also PR, Permanent Resident)

INA Immigration and Nationality Act

IBIS Interagency Border Inspection System

INS Immigration and Naturalization Service (old name for now USCIS)

IMBRA International Marriage Brokers Act

IRS Internal Revenue Service

ISP Internet Service Provider

IVACS Immigrant Visa Applicant Control System

JFK John F. Kennedy International Airport

NG Newsgroup

NBC National Benefits Center (in Missouri)

NOA The "NOA" is internet-speak for the I-797 "Notice of Action" -- with "NOA1" being the receipt and "NOA2" being the notice of approval. [Please note that there is the possibility of other I-797's being generated prior to approval notices].

NSC Nebraska Service Center

NVC National Visa Center (in New Hampshire)

PDF Adobe Portable Document Format (used by Adobe Reader)

PISS Pre-INS Submission Syndrome

POE Port of Entry. Usually airport or border crossing inspection post.

PR Permanent Resident (Also LPR - Legal Permanent Resident)

RFE Request for Evidence

SO Significant Other

SSA Social Security Administration

SSN Social Security Number

Touch When the UCSIS "Touches" your petition or file it means that an action was taken which required your file to be physically touched or moved. Example: Your file is touched when it is given to an adjudicator to process.

TPS Temporary Protected Status

TSC Texas Service Center

USC US Citizen

USCIS US Citizenship and Immigration Services (part of the Dept of Homeland Security)

US Visit System in airports that captures biometrics of people entering the country

VSC Vermont Service Center

VWP Visa Waiver Program

Forms:

(See the example forms and download section for more information)

AR-11 Change of Address form. May be completed online via the Change of Address tool located on the USCIS website or submit the COA form via snail mail.

DS-3025 The vaccine worksheet that SHOULD be collected from the docs doing the visa medical.

G-325A Biographic Information. Needs to be filled out for petitioner and beneficiary when petitioning, and again [for the benefiary only] when filing adjustment of status.

I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification. You will be required to fill this form out when applying for a job to show you are legally employable.

I-90 Application to Replace Alien Registration Card (Green Card). This will need to be filed if you lose your green card. (and I think when it expires)

I-94 Arrival/Departure record. This will be issued at the originating airport, on the flight or at the border if traveling from Canada or Mexico. It may be stamped with a 90 day work authorization and should be kept until the USCIS (INS) interview

I-102 Form to apply for I-94 if it was lost, destroyed or mutilated.

I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance(e). ALso used when filing for a K-3 Visa. Can only be filed by US Citizen and must be filed in the US.

I-130 Petition for alien relative.

I-134 Affidavit of support. Used when applying for non-immigrant visas.

I-131 Application for Re-entry Permit/Advance Parole. Required to re-enter between filing I-485 and getting the green card stamp.

I-212 Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal

I-468 Data Collection for Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications System (ADIT). A processing form. Similar to WR-702 or WR-703.

I-485 Adjustment of Status form. Must be filed after the wedding to begin process of transferring status to permanent resident.

I-551 Alien Registration Receipt Card. The 'Green' Card. After a successful interview at the USCIS (INS) office, this will be stamped in the passport and the laminated card send afterwards.

I-601 Application for Waiver of Ground of Excludability

I-688 This is the number of a laminated Employment Authorization Document. (Currently version I-688B)

I-693 Civil Surgeons Medical Report

I-693A Medical supplement. This documentation of immunization form is used by the civil surgeon to transfer the beneficiary's vaccine history prior to completing the adjustment of status.

I-751 Petition to remove conditions. This form must be filed jointly by original petitioner and beneficiary in the 3 months prior to the 2nd anniversary of obtaining conditional permanent residency.

I-765 Application for Employment Authorization Document

I-797 Notice of Action. Both the receipt notice, and approval notice will be issued on this form.

I-864 Affidavit of support. This form is to be filed with I-485 when adjusting status, an immigrant visa and other USCIS benefits.

I-864EZ Simplified version of the Affidavit of support used in some situations.

I-865 Sponsors change of address. If you signed the I-864 affidavit, you must report change of your address within 10 days.

9003 "Additional Questions to be Completed by All Applicants for Permanent Residence in the United States" (an old form no longer used by the Internal Revenue Service)

N-400 Application for Naturalization (to United States Citizen)

N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship

WR-702 or WR-703 Data Collection for Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications System (ADIT). A processing form. Similar to I-468.

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Many common questions that you have can be found by utilizing the search button at the top of the forum :) and the guides located at the top as well.

Good luck whichever visa you petition for! And congratulations on the engagement!

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The only difference is that he'll have a K1 visa petition in the system. This means the "immigrant intent" that is presumed by all CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) officers will be confirmed. People occasionally post about their SO's being allowed entry to the US without any problems before the K1 petition was submitted, and then being turned away by CBP afterward. This is often because they show up at a POE (Port Of Entry) with nothing more than a passport and a round trip ticket. Tell him to bring extra evidence to prove he will return before the term of his visit expires, and NOT marry you while visiting here in the US and apply for a green card. As mentioned above, the NOA1 (first Notice Of Action letter from USCIS) is good evidence you're trying to do the immigration legally. Also, a letter from his employer stating he is expected to return to work, lease showing he has not given up his apartment, or anything else that would show there is a need for him to return.

The I-864 isn't submitted until he has come to the US with his K1 visa, you've been married, and he applies for his green card. The consulate will want some proof that he will not become a "public charge" before they will issue his visa. They usually use the I-134, but it's not the form that matters - it's the evidence you provide with it. If you don't have sufficient income, then you will need a co-sponsor that does. Most consulates apply the same income standards to both affidavits.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Timeline
The I-864 isn't submitted until he has come to the US with his K1 visa, you've been married, and he applies for his green card. The consulate will want some proof that he will not become a "public charge" before they will issue his visa. They usually use the I-134, but it's not the form that matters - it's the evidence you provide with it. If you don't have sufficient income, then you will need a co-sponsor that does. Most consulates apply the same income standards to both affidavits.

Nice advice to the OP.

I think however it's more accurate to say that some consulates apply the same standard (125% of the US Poverty Guidelines) to the I134 and I864. Many do not. The US Department of State only requires that the sponsor be able to meet the guidelines and not exceed them.

Members should research their consulate to discover what the criteria will be and whether or not the consulate even uses the I134. London uses the form and is not rigid with income requirements.

Edited by rebeccajo

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks so much!

I'm in almost the exact same position only my fiance and I met about 2 years ago working at Disney world, and I just had a quick question about the Embassy that someone from Northern Ireland would go to. I know there is one in Belfast, but it's not listed on any of the places on this website. Does that mean he will have to go to the one in London?? We need to know this ASAP! And also, we put Belfast as our interview sight on our forms, so if he DOES have to interview in London, will that be a problem?? Thanks for the help! I wasn't really sure where to post this...

1/8/08- Met at Disney world

05/08- He came to meet my family

6/08- I went back to CO and he went back to NI

08/4/08- Went to meet his family in Ireland

12/14/08- Gave up and moved to Ireland!!!

07/6/09- Tourist Visa ran out and I had to go back to the states

09/23/09- He came to visit and asked me to marry him! yay!

10/14/09- He went home :(

10/28/09- I-129F mailed

11/4/09- Check Cashed!!!

11/8/09- NOA1 Hard Copy received

2/2/10- NOA2 Email received!!!

2/8/10- NOA2 Hard Copy Received!!!!

2/22/10- Packet 3 received (kind of)

5/28/10- Packet 4 Recieved

6/29/10- Medical Passed!

6/30/10- Interview APPROVED!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks so much!

I'm in almost the exact same position only my fiance and I met about 2 years ago working at Disney world, and I just had a quick question about the Embassy that someone from Northern Ireland would go to. I know there is one in Belfast, but it's not listed on any of the places on this website. Does that mean he will have to go to the one in London?? We need to know this ASAP! And also, we put Belfast as our interview sight on our forms, so if he DOES have to interview in London, will that be a problem?? Thanks for the help! I wasn't really sure where to post this...

The interview will be in London.

NVC will simply ignore your mistake on the form and assign his interview date at the London consulate.

Timeline

The interview will be in London.

NVC will simply ignore your mistake on the form and assign his interview date at the London consulate.

Okay, thanks. That helps I guess.

1/8/08- Met at Disney world

05/08- He came to meet my family

6/08- I went back to CO and he went back to NI

08/4/08- Went to meet his family in Ireland

12/14/08- Gave up and moved to Ireland!!!

07/6/09- Tourist Visa ran out and I had to go back to the states

09/23/09- He came to visit and asked me to marry him! yay!

10/14/09- He went home :(

10/28/09- I-129F mailed

11/4/09- Check Cashed!!!

11/8/09- NOA1 Hard Copy received

2/2/10- NOA2 Email received!!!

2/8/10- NOA2 Hard Copy Received!!!!

2/22/10- Packet 3 received (kind of)

5/28/10- Packet 4 Recieved

6/29/10- Medical Passed!

6/30/10- Interview APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.