naksah

I feel so down

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i think loving your job is a myth. only doctors on tv do that.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
i think loving your job is a myth. only doctors on tv do that.

you don't have to love your job. you can love your paycheck though.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
I graduated in May '09 in engineering, and it took me about 3 months after graduation to land a job... That was almost a year of job hunting because I too started looking in my senior year. The students in our previous graduating class already had jobs lined up before they graduated, but this year only a handful of us have landed a job so far. Career Builder & Monster did not help me any because most engineering companies hire internally, and they just advertise the job because it is required by the law.

If you have experience in O&G, check out these website:

RigZone

Oil Grads

Hope this helps!

Thanks, the Oil Grads one was helpful. So how did you get your first job

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

i'm in the same boat as you :( besides temp jobs here and there, have been looking for a year now...i do legal/research services...have you considered going to conferences/lectures in your field to network? that may help you get your foot in the door as well...good luck, just keep trying, eventually something has to give...no other way. :(

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Timeline

Yeah im going for a conference/job fair for women engineers tomorrow. I tried temp/contract and they said they require you to have

experience for that specific job which i don't have.

I feel better today. Im learning to first appreciate the little i have now before something better comes along.

First and formost, not only Doctors love thier jobs, am a Subsea Pipeline Engineer and believe i could do what am doing right now for half the money. If you want a career cos of the money then forget Engineering, thats the honest truth.

I have heard alof of people here say they have a background in Engineering, but please do tell us what your area of specialization is!!!!, is it EE?Mech? Civil? Aeronautics or what?

I work for an oil and gas firm and would gladly pass across the CV of anyone who is presently looking for work (as i said let us know your area of specialization). Its alot easier to recommend what to do and where to go if your background is known.

09/20/2009 (Day 01): N-400 Mailed to Lewisville, TX (Express Mail with Delivery Confirmation)

09/22/2009 (Day 03): N-400 Delivered @ Lewisville, TX @ 9:30am

09/24/2009 (Day 05): Check Cleared

09/28/2009 (Day 08): NOA Received (Priority Date: 09/24/2009)

10/30/2009 (Day 40): (FP Notice Received (scheduled for 11/17/2009)

10/30/2009 (Day 40): (FP done via walk-in on 10/30/2009)

11-07-2009 (Day 48): Touched online for "testing & interview"

11/09/2009 (Day 50): Interview Letter Received

12/10/2009 (Day 81): Interview Date @ 12:30pm (re-scheduled for Dec 21 @ 12:30pm)

02/03/2010 (Day 137): Oath

I graduated in May '09 in engineering, and it took me about 3 months after graduation to land a job... That was almost a year of job hunting because I too started looking in my senior year. The students in our previous graduating class already had jobs lined up before they graduated, but this year only a handful of us have landed a job so far. Career Builder & Monster did not help me any because most engineering companies hire internally, and they just advertise the job because it is required by the law.

If you have experience in O&G, check out these website:

RigZone

Oil Grads

Hope this helps!

Thanks, the Oil Grads one was helpful. So how did you get your first job

I got my job through oil grads.. that is why I recommended their website. Personally, i would not take up contract or temp jobs unless I was extremely desperate.. Luckily, my husband earns a pretty good pay which gave me the freedom to look around for a good job.

First and formost, not only Doctors love thier jobs, am a Subsea Pipeline Engineer and believe i could do what am doing right now for half the money. If you want a career cos of the money then forget Engineering, thats the honest truth.

I have heard alof of people here say they have a background in Engineering, but please do tell us what your area of specialization is!!!!, is it EE?Mech? Civil? Aeronautics or what?

I work for an oil and gas firm and would gladly pass across the CV of anyone who is presently looking for work (as i said let us know your area of specialization). Its alot easier to recommend what to do and where to go if your background is known.

I totally agree :thumbs: I do design analysis on subsea oil rigs (Mechanical Engineer) and I absolutely love my job. The fat paycheck is just an added bonus.. But I would totally work at this job for minimum wage because I love what I do and also the people I work with (shhhhh.. dont tell my boss)

Edit to add: Just hang in there, you should land a job pretty soon. And good luck at the career fair!

Edited by Nina Ballerina

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

We're talking about ABET Degrees Engineering: Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Computer

The difference between these, and the ones such train engineer, computer technology engineer, etc... are that these degrees has more power compared to the ones job recruiters frame their words to attract real engineers (4 year degrees)

The ABET Degree Candidate w/ Bachelors Degree will usually start beteen 55-70k/year. Those without will start at 30-40k/year.

Now, some people have no idea between the difference of a train engineer, structural engineer, manufacture engineer, etc...Let me tell you. Train Engineer don't work with complex mathematics. They don't invent new technology for mass integration into society. An example is building an engine that produce less carbon emission, less heavy materials, etc...On the other hand, a mechanical engineer would be in charge of that. They determine the correct gear ratio, and energy development within an engine. They determine what chemistry is involved in terms of building the solid block engine. Mechanical Engineers are not only limited to that knowledge. They determine the A/C systems you used in your house. They build them using the law of physics - Newton Law of Cooling, Thermodynamics, etc...

Train and Structural Engineer are titles designed in such a way as to not insult the occupation.

Another example with Electrical Engineers. Lots of people have no idea what they are. Let me tell you, an Electrician only have enough knowledge to wire things, tests your electrical circuits, and know how electricity is run. However, an Electrical Engineer knows that and more. They need to know how to demodulate a FM or AM channel - whether to use Single Side Band or Double Side Band Modulation. They need to know what and how diode operates with different loading conditions. I garuntee you that the power supply built into your TV, computers, etc are not designed by electricians. They are designed by Electrical Engineers. Also, the EKG machines in hospitals are designed by both computer engineers and electrical engineers. The electrical engineers must be able to do signal processing as in converting biological feedback signals into electrical signals so the computer engineers can program the Analog to Digital converters in order to receive enough information for the nurse or care giver.

Those are some difference between technical work - aka electrician, train engineer, structural engineers - to ABET Degrees from a 4 year college.

Edited by Niels Bohr

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Timeline

My degree is in Electrical Engineering and I actually graduated top of my class...not the whole school but my EE class.

I can PM my resume to anyone who may be willing to help

Timeline
My degree is in Electrical Engineering and I actually graduated top of my class...not the whole school but my EE class.

This is great especially for a woman! Engineering is definitely hard. I wish I can help you, but, I'm not someone from HR. I'd say you fit the minority policy for hiring though being a woman, and your academics.

If you are at the top of your class in the college of engineering, then, I don't see why you don't get first dibs on job opportunity.

Edited by Niels Bohr

We're talking about ABET Degrees Engineering: Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Computer

The difference between these, and the ones such train engineer, computer technology engineer, etc... are that these degrees has more power compared to the ones job recruiters frame their words to attract real engineers (4 year degrees)

The ABET Degree Candidate w/ Bachelors Degree will usually start beteen 55-70k/year. Those without will start at 30-40k/year.

Now, some people have no idea between the difference of a train engineer, structural engineer, manufacture engineer, etc...Let me tell you. Train Engineer don't work with complex mathematics. They don't invent new technology for mass integration into society. An example is building an engine that produce less carbon emission, less heavy materials, etc...On the other hand, a mechanical engineer would be in charge of that. They determine the correct gear ratio, and energy development within an engine. They determine what chemistry is involved in terms of building the solid block engine. Mechanical Engineers are not only limited to that knowledge. They determine the A/C systems you used in your house. They build them using the law of physics - Newton Law of Cooling, Thermodynamics, etc...

Train and Structural Engineer are titles designed in such a way as to not insult the occupation.

Another example with Electrical Engineers. Lots of people have no idea what they are. Let me tell you, an Electrician only have enough knowledge to wire things, tests your electrical circuits, and know how electricity is run. However, an Electrical Engineer knows that and more. They need to know how to demodulate a FM or AM channel - whether to use Single Side Band or Double Side Band Modulation. They need to know what and how diode operates with different loading conditions. I garuntee you that the power supply built into your TV, computers, etc are not designed by electricians. They are designed by Electrical Engineers. Also, the EKG machines in hospitals are designed by both computer engineers and electrical engineers. The electrical engineers must be able to do signal processing as in converting biological feedback signals into electrical signals so the computer engineers can program the Analog to Digital converters in order to receive enough information for the nurse or care giver.

Those are some difference between technical work - aka electrician, train engineer, structural engineers - to ABET Degrees from a 4 year college.

I have to partially disagree with you.. Structural Engineers are Civil Engineers who specialize in doing design analysis for buildings. They graduate with a degree in Civil Engineering but specialize in structures. Environmental Engineers, Transportation Engineers, Coastal Engineerings also come under Civil Engineering.

Also, ABET is just an accreditation board. The first school that I attended lost their ABET accreditation for the Mechanical Engineer program, however the school still had their Mech Engineering department and kept awarding (worthless) degrees. I then transfered to another school with a good Mech Engr program.

p.s: This school also had an ABET accredited Computer Engineering Technology program.

Timeline

Sorry to dissapoint, but, degrees that are ABET certify must meet criterias.

Train Engineer -High School Diploma

Structural Engineer - Associate Degree

Environmental Engineer - Associate Degree

Coastal Engineer - Associate Degree

You cannot compare 4 year degrees with those. You have no idea what engineering is about.

I have to partially disagree with you.. Structural Engineers are Civil Engineers who specialize in doing design analysis for buildings. They graduate with a degree in Civil Engineering but specialize in structures. Environmental Engineers, Transportation Engineers, Coastal Engineerings also come under Civil Engineering.

Also, ABET is just an accreditation board. The first school that I attended lost their ABET accreditation for the Mechanical Engineer program, however the school still had their Mech Engineering department and kept awarding (worthless) degrees. I then transfered to another school with a good Mech Engr program.

p.s: This school also had an ABET accredited Computer Engineering Technology program.

Nina Ballerina You are absolutely right!!!!!, check this out.

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/pgstructdesign/

It would be an insult to categorise structural engineers with electricians, completely incomparable. You dont get a PE in being an electrician but you do get a PE in Structural Engineering, heck, there are some people who are in subsea structures who make more money than i do !!!!!, and am not talking 3 yrs more experience than i have.

I sincerely dont know how the system in America is, but nowhere in the world is structural engineering not seen as a "proffessional" arm of Engineering.

Sorry to dissapoint, but, degrees that are ABET certify must meet criterias.

Train Engineer -High School Diploma

Structural Engineer - Associate Degree

Environmental Engineer - Associate Degree

Coastal Engineer - Associate Degree

You cannot compare 4 year degrees with those. You have no idea what engineering is about.

09/20/2009 (Day 01): N-400 Mailed to Lewisville, TX (Express Mail with Delivery Confirmation)

09/22/2009 (Day 03): N-400 Delivered @ Lewisville, TX @ 9:30am

09/24/2009 (Day 05): Check Cleared

09/28/2009 (Day 08): NOA Received (Priority Date: 09/24/2009)

10/30/2009 (Day 40): (FP Notice Received (scheduled for 11/17/2009)

10/30/2009 (Day 40): (FP done via walk-in on 10/30/2009)

11-07-2009 (Day 48): Touched online for "testing & interview"

11/09/2009 (Day 50): Interview Letter Received

12/10/2009 (Day 81): Interview Date @ 12:30pm (re-scheduled for Dec 21 @ 12:30pm)

02/03/2010 (Day 137): Oath

Timeline

This is great especially for a woman! Engineering is definitely hard. I wish I can help you, but, I'm not someone from HR. I'd say you fit the minority policy for hiring though being a woman, and your academics.

If you are at the top of your class in the college of engineering, then, I don't see why you don't get first dibs on job opportunity.

I think my biggest mistake was not making use of my senior year because I was very undecided on what i wanted. Everyone, including my professors and parents wanted me to go to grad school. It wasn't until mid August that i realized that I didn't really want grad school at the time and that's when i started applying for full time jobs