duellema

Visa Waiver Program

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I am wondering if anyone has gotten married using the Visa Waiver Program (your fiance comes to the US with appropriate documentation stating they will be returning home), you get married, and move to their homeland.

My fiance and I are doing this and I just wondered if anyone encountered any issues in doing so or if there are other documents besides a letter from his employer and lease agreements that he should be bringing along.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It is perfectly legal and perfectly okay. However, there is a risk of being denied at the POE, so make sure you have good, concrete evidence that you'll be returning before the 90 days is up!

Timeline

His letter from his employer has the date that he will be returning to work as well as contact information - he will have his return flight as well ... is there anything else people can think of us bringing as 'proof?'

Timeline

I am leaving a couple of weeks later - He will be on business so I am planning on going once I'm able to move my things into our apartment. I will book my flight and give him that information as well.

I just thought of another thing... I'm was planning on booking a round trip since they are less expensive and then not taking the returning leg - I don't know how this would play into things.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all it is perfectly legal to enter this country on VWP get married and then return within the 90 days. If he is coming here on business there should be no reason for him to worry about getting stopped at the POE. Especially since he is coming on business, I wouldnt even mention that you are planning to marry while he is here, no need to. Okay I know everyone says be honest, but there is such a thing as being too honest. There is nothing wrong or illegal about getting married and then returning to Germany.

I dont know how strict the German immigration is about proving you are planning on returning to the US. I have been to the UK and Germany numerous times and never had anyone ask about return ticket but that is me. I would buy the round trip save the money and then just not use it.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Definitely do not mention a word about marriage or a fiancee... they will deny entry based upon that. My case is a prime example of this one. My fiancee only mentioned she was coming to see me and it automatically forwarded her to the small room for more questions.

When using the VWP you are supposed to have a round trip ticket. A one way is another immediate reasoning for further questioning. If you book two one-way tickets, ie. to save money or many legs of the flight, have it booked well in advance with the confirmation numbers ready.

Learned that one the hard way too....

Edited by treed44812

07/05--------Met Ann in Taichung, Taiwan

01/28/06----Fell in love with Ann over Chinese Lunar New Year in Taichung Taiwan

02/12/06----Ann's birthday

02/26/06---- I leave Taichung amidst a trail of tears

04/06/06-----Ann comes to visit my family and I in NY

06/16/06-----I propose to Ann in Taichung- Happiest Day of my life (So Far!)

07/27/06---- I-129 Sent to Lawyers for review

07/31/06---- I-129F Forwarded to Vermont (let's hope things move along!)

08/04/06----NOA1

08/08/06----Touch

08/11/06----Snail mail receipt of NOA1

Sept 2006- NOTHING

09/27-10/11 Back in Taiwan with Ann, (leaving gets harder everytime)

10/16/06, 1830 Hours: NOA2 !!!!

Touched 10/17,18

10-20-06--- NVC Forwarded to Embassy!

10/26 Packet 3 in her hands!

11/3 Packet 3 sent back, waiting on interview date

11/9 Medical Done- Results back, NEXT STEP- INTERVIEW!!!!

12/5 POE: Detroit

12/22: She goes to SF to see "family", which was actually her other boyfriend.....

12/24: I learn the truth about her deceit and double life.

12/26: ICE, USCIS, and Buffalo Immigration notified- please note the delay was only due to the holiday and I did try to call as soon as I found out....

Timeline

My fiance has a round trip ticket and WILL be returning to Germany - I will be following him and 'moving' approximately 2 weeks to a month later. He is not coming to the US on business, however he will be on business in Frankfurt after our wedding (which is why I am planning on moving AFTER he gets back)...

This is a tricky situation because I definitely want to be honest and we are not doing any illegal but I also do not want it all to be a huge hassle - especially since we have everything planned for our wedding.

Any additional advice on what to say at POE?

My husband and I were married last mid 2005. I entered the US on the VWP with no problems. I didn't tell the customs guy I was getting married just that I was travelling. I have entered the US on the VWP 8 times in the last two years and haven't had a problem. We have a baby now and I am still entering on the VWP and still no problems. Goodluck with your future wedding.

11-05-06 Sent I-130 to California

06-01-07 INTERVIEW

06-04-07 Received VISA in the mail. Silly Consulate issued me CR-1 instead of IR-1, no time to change it in Australia, will try to change it once in California.

06-10-07 POE SFO

06-21-07 Receive SSN#

07-12-07 Receive Green Card in the mail STILL HAD CR1 INSTEAD OF IR1

12-10-07 Finally sent I-90 asking for a new green card with correct info.

06-17-08 INFOPASS - Was told USCIS sent new green card to old address back in Jan. Will resend it but may not be able to correct error as it was made by Consulate not USCIS.

What to do now??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.