Kittyfang

Can a co-sponsor influence USCIS?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am about o file for AoS based on the fact that I married and American, while in the U.S..

We're very simple people and spend all out time together, so we don't really have pictures, (and since I do not work, and have no SSN, for now, we have no join bank account.)

But this got me thinking. We do not have a lot of money so my husband's mother is going to file a join affidavit of support. I know that I can't point at that and say "Look! She's sponsoring us! That means our marriage is real!" But when the application is being reviewed, you would think that they would see that as some kind of proof that our marriage is real. I mean, "I" wouldn't sponsor someone if their marriage wasn't real.

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

But when the application is being reviewed, you would think that they would see that as some kind of proof that our marriage is real. I mean, "I" wouldn't sponsor someone if their marriage wasn't real.

No. A co-sponsor means absolutely nothing as far as proving bona fide relationship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I am about o file for AoS based on the fact that I married and American, while in the U.S..

We're very simple people and spend all out time together, so we don't really have pictures, (and since I do not work, and have no SSN, for now, we have no join bank account.)

But this got me thinking. We do not have a lot of money so my husband's mother is going to file a join affidavit of support. I know that I can't point at that and say "Look! She's sponsoring us! That means our marriage is real!" But when the application is being reviewed, you would think that they would see that as some kind of proof that our marriage is real. I mean, "I" wouldn't sponsor someone if their marriage wasn't real.

I doubt that having a co-sponsor lends any additional validity to the relationship. Not having pictures together seems odd. If you have an interview that might be tough to explain. You really have not provided any information about your case, so if you would like more in-depth analysis, please enlighten us. Thanks!

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

I doubt that having a co-sponsor lends any additional validity to the relationship. Not having pictures together seems odd. If you have an interview that might be tough to explain. You really have not provided any information about your case, so if you would like more in-depth analysis, please enlighten us. Thanks!

Hi! Well we do have SOME pictures, marriage pictures mostly. They show his family and the reception we had. We have some pictured of our dogs and we plan on taking some of the house (I promised my family I would send them some). We also want to put his old car in my name. One I get my EAD, we will open a joint bank account (tho I'm afraid that USCIS will ask why we waiting so long... but on the other hand you can't open a bank account without a SSN, and why would I want to if I'm not working?). We will also put my name on the title of the house.

There was one thing. Some months ago, my husband was arrested for assault on a neighbor. The charges were dropped and the case was dismissed (the neighbor in question was as responsible, if not more than my husband, for the fight). The police came and took our depositions. They have me on there and I'm wondering if I should bring this. It kinda proves where I live and what my ties are to my husband... but on the other hand, I don't really want to use this and give my husband a bad name in the eyes of USCIS.

Adjustment of Status

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

Timeline

Hi! Well we do have SOME pictures, marriage pictures mostly. They show his family and the reception we had. We have some pictured of our dogs and we plan on taking some of the house (I promised my family I would send them some). We also want to put his old car in my name. One I get my EAD, we will open a joint bank account (tho I'm afraid that USCIS will ask why we waiting so long... but on the other hand you can't open a bank account without a SSN, and why would I want to if I'm not working?). We will also put my name on the title of the house.

There was one thing. Some months ago, my husband was arrested for assault on a neighbor. The charges were dropped and the case was dismissed (the neighbor in question was as responsible, if not more than my husband, for the fight). The police came and took our depositions. They have me on there and I'm wondering if I should bring this. It kinda proves where I live and what my ties are to my husband... but on the other hand, I don't really want to use this and give my husband a bad name in the eyes of USCIS.

Pictures of you two at the wedding/reception with family are good. Pictures of dogs and a house are not useful at all unless you two are in the photos as well. Cars & houses in both names are good too. Not everyone has joint checking account, so I wouldn't worry too much about that if you have enough other evidence.

I would leave out the police report, I don't see any reason why that would be a good idea to present to USCIS.

Timeline

Pictures of you two at the wedding/reception with family are good. Pictures of dogs and a house are not useful at all unless you two are in the photos as well. Cars & houses in both names are good too. Not everyone has joint checking account, so I wouldn't worry too much about that if you have enough other evidence.

I would leave out the police report, I don't see any reason why that would be a good idea to present to USCIS.

That is what I taught as well. At this point, my brain is just going crazy trying to figure what will prove that we are a real couple. Thank you for the help!

Also, rsn, I have to say this. Your picture terrifies me! :blush: When I think about USCIS denying us, an image like that is what I picture. :crying:

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The mother CAN sign an affidavit stating that she believes that you two are in love and in a nice relationship.

Police reports are bad.

Simple photos can be obtained very cheaply.

Why can't you get a SSN? You shouldn't need an EAD for that.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline
That is what I taught as well. At this point, my brain is just going crazy trying to figure what will prove that we are a real couple. Thank you for the help!

Also, rsn, I have to say this. Your picture terrifies me! :blush: When I think about USCIS denying us, an image like that is what I picture. :crying:

:lol: It's actually from The Sopranos, not a picture of an immigration officer at work.

If your relationship is legitimate (I'm not saying it isn't, just a general statement) then you should be ok, especially if you do your homework. Note that I have still yet to receive the GC or the AP or the EAD, so I'm still learning myself, but it helps to read about other people's experiences on this site - lots of knowledgeable people on here. Best of luck!

Edited by rsn

Timeline

:lol: It's actually from The Sopranos, not a picture of an immigration officer at work.

If your relationship is legitimate (I'm not saying it isn't, just a general statement) then you should be ok, especially if you do your homework. Note that I have still yet to receive the GC or the AP or the EAD, so I'm still learning myself, but it helps to read about other people's experiences on this site - lots of knowledgeable people on here. Best of luck!

I meant to watch the Sopranos, but we turned off our cable... So, really I haven't watched T.V. in about a year. :P

Also, I agree with what you said. It is a very complicated process ! That is why I'm asking every question that comes to mind!

As for the SSN, I was told that I need an EAD to get one. It is a problem that I waited? I was told that since I'm out of status, I'm just a hair away from being illegal. I figured they wouldn't give SSN to illegals.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline
As for the SSN, I was told that I need an EAD to get one. It is a problem that I waited? I was told that since I'm out of status, I'm just a hair away from being illegal. I figured they wouldn't give SSN to illegals.

You definitely do not need an EAD to get a SSN, but you might have problems obtaining one if your I-94 is expired or if it expires soon. When does your I-94 expire?

You are not out of status until your I-94 expires, which is why you should try to file AOS before that expires.

Timeline

You definitely do not need an EAD to get a SSN, but you might have problems obtaining one if your I-94 is expired or if it expires soon. When does your I-94 expire?

You are not out of status until your I-94 expires, which is why you should try to file AOS before that expires.

oh dear... I was really misinformed then.

I came here in March 07. I am canadian, so I do not get an I-94. However, I think I was allowed to stay 180 days. Needless to say, this has expired... Will it cause me problem? I'm really nervous now. :wacko:

This is what I have from SSN website.

" Social Security will ask to see a current DHS document. Acceptable documents include:

* Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);

* I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport; or

* Work permit card from the Department of Homeland Security (I-766 or I-688B)."

I have none of these, so that is why I figured I had to wait for my EAD.

Edited by Kittyfang

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

I came here in March 07. I am canadian, so I do not get an I-94. However, I think I was allowed to stay 180 days. Needless to say, this has expired... Will it cause me problem? I'm really nervous now. :wacko:

" Social Security will ask to see a current DHS document. Acceptable documents include:

* Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);

Well, first of all, just to be clear, you came here as a visitor in March 2007, correct? You did not come here on a K1 or K3 or CR1 visa, correct? If you did come here as a visitor, was it your intent to marry before you came here? When did you get married?

Timeline

Well, first of all, just to be clear, you came here as a visitor in March 2007, correct? You did not come here on a K1 or K3 or CR1 visa, correct? If you did come here as a visitor, was it your intent to marry before you came here? When did you get married?

I came here in February 2007. For two weeks, to visit my (now) husband. After two week, I returned home, but was advised that I was about to lose my job. I spoke with my husband and we figured that I should come back for 2-3 months. For two reasons, one, we would see how we get along over a long period of time, but also, I would have some time to look for another job, or reapply for the same I had (my job fires and rehires people depending on what they need).

I came back around March 07. After a few months together, we started talking about marriage. We love each other and didn't want to be separated again. So no, I didn't come here with the intent of getting married. I was just vising my (then) boyfriend. We got married on Sept 1 07 (our license says Aug. 31, but I think the mayor, he's the one who married us, made an error.) We were silly, and I know now that we should have looked at the immigration laws sooner.

We have almost no money, so that is why it took so long for us to think about AoS. We have paid off some bills, so we'll soon be borrowing the money from a bank. It's been really hard, I'm a freelance translator and it has been heartbreaking to turn down clients, since I am not allowed to work.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline
I came here in February 2007. For two weeks, to visit my (now) husband. After two week, I returned home, but was advised that I was about to lose my job. I spoke with my husband and we figured that I should come back for 2-3 months. For two reasons, one, we would see how we get along over a long period of time, but also, I would have some time to look for another job, or reapply for the same I had (my job fires and rehires people depending on what they need).

I came back around March 07. After a few months together, we started talking about marriage. We love each other and didn't want to be separated again. So no, I didn't come here with the intent of getting married. I was just vising my (then) boyfriend. We got married on Sept 1 07 (our license says Aug. 31, but I think the mayor, he's the one who married us, made an error.) We were silly, and I know now that we should have looked at the immigration laws sooner.

We have almost no money, so that is why it took so long for us to think about AoS. We have paid off some bills, so we'll soon be borrowing the money from a bank. It's been really hard, I'm a freelance translator and it has been heartbreaking to turn down clients, since I am not allowed to work.

Ok, all fine up until the fact that you overstayed by 2 years and counting. You should have filed for AOS immediately after your marriage. This is going to be a problem. Unfortunately, this is beyond my scope of knowledge, so I am not 100% sure what you should do next. I would advise that you contact a good immigration lawyer at once and wait here for others who know more about this to reply.

Timeline

Another idea might be to post another topic with an appropriate title that will draw in members who know more about overcoming the specific situation you are in. A good title might be "Visitor from Canada in March '07, married in September '07, still here & no AOS, what now?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.