RebeccaAndPhil

Questions regarding forms for AOS

14 posts in this topic

Hi all! My husband and I are filling out the paperwork to change his status from a J1.

I have a few questions...

For the I-485:

Does my husband have an alien #? Or will this be given to him when/if the I-485 is approved? If he does have one, we can't seem to find it anywhere so any guidance would be great.

On the instructions for 485 under the section "General Instructions" #15 asks for evidence of eligibility. My husband would fall under "A" but we won't have an approval notice for the I-130 if we are filing concurrently (which we are). Will the fact that we are filing concurrently act as the evidence for this?

For the I-131:

This form completely confuses me. So many people on here say they got their AP but I feel like my husband doesn't qualify to apply for this since we don't really have any immediate travel plans. Initially we were going to apply for it just so that he COULD travel if the opportunity came up and we'd like to go out of the country. However, the application wants a letter stating why we are qualified to apply for AP...what would we put? "To travel for fun?" It seems odd. If we don't qualify, it's fine, like I said, no immediate/emergent plans to travel as of now. Should we hold off on applying for this for now?

For the I-864:

Some background info so you understand my questions...I (the USC) am a recent graduate of University (as of May, 09) so I don't have a history of high income since in college I just had part-time jobs. I got a full-time job in July 2009 that I am still working at where I make well above 125% the poverty limit that I-864 requires. I would like to know if it will be a problem that on my past 3 years of W2s and tax info I will have made hardly anything. I can send in pay stubs from July - whenever we send in the packet to prove my income. I can also get a letter from my employer stating that I am in good standing, etc.

Another part to this is that my husband (the one applying for AOS) has a full-time job as well where he will continue working after he gets his green card. Would it help if I added his income onto the "household income" section of the I-864 or is it unnecessary since I already make above the poverty level? I always think more is better but in the eyes of the USCIS, who knows! My husband can get a letter stating that his income will continue from the same source (since this is a requirement for his income to be listed) and he has his pay stubs as well.

Any help is appreciated and thanks for reading! :blush:

AOS

09/21/08- Phil arrives in US

08/15/09- Wedding

10/16/09- Mailed out AOS package

01/14/10- Interview completed - Approved!

01/23/10- Conditional Green Card received!

ROC

10/17/11- Mailed ROC package

10/19/11- Package arrives at VSC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

11/23/11- Biometrics appointment

01/14/12- Conditional GC Expired

07/17/12- Approved! - Notification of card production

07/23/12- Notification of card being mailed

07/25/12- 10 year GC received!

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Be the change you wish to see in the world

Hi all! My husband and I are filling out the paperwork to change his status from a J1.

For the I-485:

Does my husband have an alien #? Or will this be given to him when/if the I-485 is approved? If he does have one, we can't seem to find it anywhere so any guidance would be great.

On the instructions for 485 under the section "General Instructions" #15 asks for evidence of eligibility. My husband would fall under "A" but we won't have an approval notice for the I-130 if we are filing concurrently (which we are). Will the fact that we are filing concurrently act as the evidence for this?

For the I-131:

This form completely confuses me. So many people on here say they got their AP but I feel like my husband doesn't qualify to apply for this since we don't really have any immediate travel plans. Initially we were going to apply for it just so that he COULD travel if the opportunity came up and we'd like to go out of the country. However, the application wants a letter stating why we are qualified to apply for AP...what would we put? "To travel for fun?" It seems odd. If we don't qualify, it's fine, like I said, no immediate/emergent plans to travel as of now. Should we hold off on applying for this for now?

For the I-864:

Some background info so you understand my questions...I (the USC) am a recent graduate of University (as of May, 09) so I don't have a history of high income since in college I just had part-time jobs. I got a full-time job in July 2009 that I am still working at where I make well above 125% the poverty limit that I-864 requires. I would like to know if it will be a problem that on my past 3 years of W2s and tax info I will have made hardly anything. I can send in pay stubs from July - whenever we send in the packet to prove my income. I can also get a letter from my employer stating that I am in good standing, etc.

Another part to this is that my husband (the one applying for AOS) has a full-time job as well where he will continue working after he gets his green card. Would it help if I added his income onto the "household income" section of the I-864 or is it unnecessary since I already make above the poverty level? I always think more is better but in the eyes of the USCIS, who knows! My husband can get a letter stating that his income will continue from the same source (since this is a requirement for his income to be listed) and he has his pay stubs as well.

Anyone have any suggestions? :blush:

AOS

08/15/09- Wedding

ROC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

For the I-485:

He probably doesn't. It will be on the receipt for the I-485 application. You can just write none.

Yes, it will. You might want to include a copy of his DS-2019 to demonstrate his immigration history.

For the I-131:

Most people just write date to be determined. You qualify because you are simultaneously submitting an AOS application. You can explain that you want to be able to travel if a problem arises back home.

For the I-864:

It probably won't be a problem. Just explain the situation and send in the things you mention.

I wouldn't bother unless they ask you for it. Take the material to the interview.

Good luck. Don't stress too much.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

For the I-485:

He probably doesn't. It will be on the receipt for the I-485 application. You can just write none.

Yes, it will. You might want to include a copy of his DS-2019 to demonstrate his immigration history.

For the I-131:

Most people just write date to be determined. You qualify because you are simultaneously submitting an AOS application. You can explain that you want to be able to travel if a problem arises back home.

For the I-864:

It probably won't be a problem. Just explain the situation and send in the things you mention.

I wouldn't bother unless they ask you for it. Take the material to the interview.

Can anybody tell me which is the correct answer on form I-485 in section 2 answers a through h when I am applying to change status from VWP?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

hi..there was no alien number for those entering on the B2 visa so we put none.. i would imagine vwp is the same

and yes.. the fact that u are applying CONCURRENTLY.. is gonna qualify u w/out the addtl evidence, its understood..

the I131 confused us as well, but like the previous poster said.. we went ahead and put and estimate of time he would most likely travel (don't think they will look at that very strongly) and put "in order to check on the welfare of family in Jamaica if necessary"

i like the previous posters answers better tho LOL

as far as the affidavit of support.. they only ask for prior years income or income of a spouse if ur 2008 income isn't over the limits i believe.. so it won't be much of a problem as long as 2008 is good! but like u said, more information couldn't hurt i guess??..

[07/15/07 Met RG on vacation in Jamaica

07/27/09 He proposes on one of his visits here

08/07/09 We are married!!!!!

AOS from B2 visa

09/03/09 Completed medical.. all clear!!

09/21/09 Sent off I130, I485, I131, I765.. YAYYYYYY[/color]

09/23/09 package received

09/28/2009 all 4 NOA's printed (received on OCT 1ST)

09/30/09 checks cashed!

10/05/09 receive biometrics appt for 10/28/2009

10/13/09 walk in biometrics.. !

10/26/2009 receive interview letter for NOV 30th 11:30!!!! PRAISE GOD!

11/06/2009 receive advance parole papers.. no email, no updates beforehand..

11/16/2009 After 2 WEEKS of checking the mail thinking the EAD and AP come about the same time, we get the "card production ordered" email for the EAD.. better late than never.. thank you LORD!!!

11/19/2009 receive another email stating "card production ordered"

11/23/2009 receive EAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/2009 bittersweet interview, but WE ARE APPROVED

12/02/09 social security card in mail

12/04/09 receive "welcome" letter in mail

Timeline
hi..there was no alien number for those entering on the B2 visa so we put none.. i would imagine vwp is the same

and yes.. the fact that u are applying CONCURRENTLY.. is gonna qualify u w/out the addtl evidence, its understood..

the I131 confused us as well, but like the previous poster said.. we went ahead and put and estimate of time he would most likely travel (don't think they will look at that very strongly) and put "in order to check on the welfare of family in Jamaica if necessary"

as far as the affidavit of support.. they only ask for prior years income or income of a spouse if ur 2008 income isn't over the limits i believe.. so it won't be much of a problem as long as 2008 is good! but like u said, more information couldn't hurt i guess??..

More questions!!

Do we mail all the forms together? Do they all go to Chicago? Or is it different envelopes and locations?

Thanks

Timeline

More questions!!

Do we mail all the forms together? Do they all go to Chicago? Or is it different envelopes and locations?

Thanks

hi.. no problem.. i scoured this site for WEEKS b4 i felt confident to finally do the paperwork..

the forms will all go together..

i did put a cover letter for each separate form and its evidence.. but they all go into one envelope..

same location..

AOS from B2 visa

09/30/09 checks cashed!

11/16/2009 After 2 WEEKS of checking the mail thinking the EAD and AP come about the same time, we get the "card production ordered" email for the EAD.. better late than never.. thank you LORD!!!

Timeline

More questions!!

Thanks

hi.. no problem.. i scoured this site for WEEKS b4 i felt confident to finally do the paperwork..

the forms will all go together..

i did put a cover letter for each separate form and its evidence.. but they all go into one envelope..

same location..

Did you include the police clearance or was that not needed?

I seem to spend hours reading as I am sure you did.

We hope to file next week after the medical so should be on similar time line as you.

Timeline

no song.. we didn't do any police clearance.. honestly becuz no one else b4 me had done it LOL...

i just looked under that supplement form instructions tho, and it says u do not have to if u are adjusting after being lawfully admitted into the US.. so its all good!

AOS from B2 visa

09/30/09 checks cashed!

Timeline

yes we did read and RE READ.. vj posts and the guides and ESPECIALLY the form instructions ..

good luck w/ ur medical and then filing!!

AOS from B2 visa

09/30/09 checks cashed!

For the I-485:

For the I-131:

For the I-864:

Thanks very much for your reply and to the others who helped too. Do you think it would be bad to add my husband's income anyway to the 864? I think it looks better the more income we have as a household but I also don't want to do it the 'wrong' way.

AOS

08/15/09- Wedding

ROC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Timeline

For the I-485:

For the I-131:

For the I-864:

Thanks very much for your reply and to the others who helped too. Do you think it would be bad to add my husband's income anyway to the 864? I think it looks better the more income we have as a household but I also don't want to do it the 'wrong' way.

BIG thank you again to everyone who takes the time to help.

It is appreciated and also a comfort to know we are not the only ones!

I thought another question, different than what we're talking about here but still relevant to AOS.

I know each packet needs a cover letter. Should I write a cover letter for the I-130 and I-485 only or should there be a cover letter for all forms being sent WITH the I-485 as well (i.e. I-864, I-765). I'm not sure if the entire I-485 (with all corresponding documents) is handled by the same person or if there are different people that look over the I-485, I-864 and I-765. I hope my question makes sense :star:

AOS

08/15/09- Wedding

ROC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Timeline

hi..

i looked over the instructions once again and the only reason they have to provide other income information besides that of the sponsor/USC's 2008 income is when u believe u need more proof to prove ur hh income is substanial.. so i would not put extra information in if its not needed in this situation..

in my reading posts here, the only time ive seen a spouse income used is when the USC did not meet the requirements

for the cover letters, i was a BIT ####### and did a cover letter for EACH form and its evidence.. i didn't want any question that i had included all the evidence needed AND like u since the EAD is rec quicker than the green card most times, i thought it was done by different agents perhaps, maybe someone can enlighten us on that part..

some ppl used no cover letters at all and went thru just fine, its optional

AOS from B2 visa

09/30/09 checks cashed!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.