aidan80

Credit Reports/Scores?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

All right I’m about ready to go mad! How in this country do I get an actual copy of my credit report from the three agencies without paying out $60 or paying some other rip off website $20 a month? I just want to know my score the score they use to make up their mind. I don’t mind paying I just don’t want ripped off.

Some things back home were easier (at least last time I did it) I paid about $6 for my credit report from Experian.. a week later it arrived via post and that was it what’s going on over here? Why are there 1000’s of companies trying to sell me information about me!

Anyway the reason for all of this is so I can buy a car nothing fancy just a basic new car in the 14k range not exactly a Mercedes. I got shot down already on one attempt to get a loan and need to figure out what I need to do to fix up my credit enough before applying with another lender.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

http://annualcreditreport.com

Absolutely free. You get 1 FREE credit report from each credit bureau 1 time a year....

^^This will give you your credit report, not credit score. But they will give you the option to pay a small fee (something like $6) to see your credit score. Hopefully you are in the system and you answer the security questions correctly, otherwise you will have to mail in a copy of your drivers license and it will delay the process by weeks.....

Edited by Confucian

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Other Timeline
All right I’m about ready to go mad! How in this country do I get an actual copy of my credit report from the three agencies without paying out $60 or paying some other rip off website $20 a month? I just want to know my score the score they use to make up their mind. I don’t mind paying I just don’t want ripped off.

Some things back home were easier (at least last time I did it) I paid about $6 for my credit report from Experian.. a week later it arrived via post and that was it what’s going on over here? Why are there 1000’s of companies trying to sell me information about me!

Anyway the reason for all of this is so I can buy a car nothing fancy just a basic new car in the 14k range not exactly a Mercedes. I got shot down already on one attempt to get a loan and need to figure out what I need to do to fix up my credit enough before applying with another lender.

Where did you get 'shot down'? Bank? Car Dealer?

It's your credit report. Ask them to show it to you.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Exactly.

Note the name - ANNUALCreditReport.com.

Do NOT - I repeat - DO NOT use "FreeCreditReport.com" - it's anything BUT free. :lol:

Edited by mawilson
biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
All right I'm about ready to go mad! How in this country do I get an actual copy of my credit report from the three agencies without paying out $60 or paying some other rip off website $20 a month? I just want to know my score the score they use to make up their mind. I don't mind paying I just don't want ripped off.

Some things back home were easier (at least last time I did it) I paid about $6 for my credit report from Experian.. a week later it arrived via post and that was it what's going on over here? Why are there 1000's of companies trying to sell me information about me!

Where did you get 'shot down'? Bank? Car Dealer?

It's your credit report. Ask them to show it to you.

I was going to try the dealer but those b@stards are more slippery than than a room full of lubed up politicians I didn't trust them any of them! So I looked around and thought I'd play it safe.. try with a bottom feeder thinking I'd get approved then talk to my credit union about what they could do. The bottom feeder capital one said no! :rofl: I don't know if I should be offended or laugh at them. I make more than a few times the cars value per year, my debt to income in less than 1%, I've never not paid anything on time and I normally pay 2x or 3x the minimum. I'm thinking it's because my credit history is only about 2.5 years old and I've moved house 3 times in 4 years.

Anyway if I can see my score/scores I've a few ideas to pickup my score again in the next few months. Would love to pickup my score enough before the end of the year as I wanna cash in on an end of the year car deal!

http://annualcreditreport.com

Absolutely free. You get 1 FREE credit report from each credit bureau 1 time a year....

^^This will give you your credit report, not credit score. But they will give you the option to pay a small fee (something like $6) to see your credit score. Hopefully you are in the system and you answer the security questions correctly, otherwise you will have to mail in a copy of your drivers license and it will delay the process by weeks.....

Thanks I think I've seen that site before a long time ago. I'll have a look see what it tells me!

Exactly.

Note the name - ANNUALCreditReport.com.

Do NOT - I repeat - DO NOT use "FreeCreditReport.com" - it's anything BUT free. :lol:

I know freecreditreport is like believing that car dealer when he says the price is only $X yes X Plus, Plus, Plus..

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Timeline

Well I went in and had a look at my actual score which came away at 720.. which the crooks robbed me of $15 for.. a small price for the real thing vs the "estimated" score over at Credit Karma at 690 or 680.. for free that site isn't bad!

Anyway I found out what did it.. I've kept a balance on a credit card on purpose so I could make payments and build up a payment history well this card has a small maximum limit and it's reading as close to 50% used to the credit companies. So I think pay off the balance wait a few days, apply for a higher card wait about a month or so and try the bank for a auto loan this time. Worst thing happens I don't get a deal on a 2009 model and end up paying more for a 2010 model.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Was that your FICO score? there is a difference and some companies make up their own score.

If your FICO score is 720, I don't know why they would deny you.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Well I went in and had a look at my actual score which came away at 720.. which the crooks robbed me of $15 for.. a small price for the real thing vs the "estimated" score over at Credit Karma at 690 or 680.. for free that site isn't bad!

Anyway I found out what did it.. I've kept a balance on a credit card on purpose so I could make payments and build up a payment history well this card has a small maximum limit and it's reading as close to 50% used to the credit companies. So I think pay off the balance wait a few days, apply for a higher card wait about a month or so and try the bank for a auto loan this time. Worst thing happens I don't get a deal on a 2009 model and end up paying more for a 2010 model.

Aidan, I think you are an ideal customer for most car dealers. As slimy as car salesmen are, you just gotta go there with the attitude that you are only going to accept a fair offer ....and the best way to know what is fair in terms of price - figure out what make and model of the car you are interested in and then get a dealer cost printout from Consumer Reports. I think it's about $15 but well worth...because you can end up saving thousands of dollars. Second, look at what the going interest rates are for new car purchases to people with good credit. Granted, your credit history is limited, but at least you'll have some haggling knowledge before going to a dealership. Just be prepared to get up and walk out until you are offered a deal that is fair. You'll get one...but you may need to try a few dealerships until you find the right deal.

Edited by Col. 'Bat' Guano

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You will receive a letter from Capital One and indeed anyone else who has denied you credit stating why. With that report in hand you can get another free and up to date report from all 3 of the main CRA's and also the peripheral ones such as Lexis etc.

It may be that you have not enough history yet. Establishing credit is a chicken and egg situation.

Probably the easiest thing to do is have someone co sign with you. That way you get the loan and also have an account reporting which builds you history.

lolfs.gif

Timeline
Was that your FICO score? there is a difference and some companies make up their own score.

If your FICO score is 720, I don't know why they would deny you.

Nope not the FICO score although I have read that's what most go by.. Although I know I'm in the good category just checking my score shows that so what I did was wipe out that credit card balance. I'll wait a day or two apply for higher limit credit card wait a few more days deposit my next pay cheque in the credit union then talk to them to see what they can do.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Timeline

Aidan, I think you are an ideal customer for most car dealers. As slimy as car salesmen are, you just gotta go there with the attitude that you are only going to accept a fair offer ....and the best way to know what is fair in terms of price - figure out what make and model of the car you are interested in and then get a dealer cost printout from Consumer Reports. I think it's about $15 but well worth...because you can end up saving thousands of dollars. Second, look at what the going interest rates are for new car purchases to people with good credit. Granted, your credit history is limited, but at least you'll have some haggling knowledge before going to a dealership. Just be prepared to get up and walk out until you are offered a deal that is fair. You'll get one...but you may need to try a few dealerships until you find the right deal.

I thought so too thought I was a perfect candidate? I've a stable job even in these times I make more than enough to pay off the car good enough credit rating. I think Rebeccajo is right I didn't know and applied with capital one which is still almost dying from it's own greed. I already know the make and model, done a test drive. I've been trying to play all the dealers I could find for about 50 miles around off each other which has taken them down from a starting price of about $16,900 (including everything) to $14,400 all in and out the door no more hidden fees. I had to get the full actual price down first they'd say anything to get you in the showroom then say but that's not including this, this and this. I'm also not trading in I'm selling my used car on the side of the road so that's about another $1,700 - $2,000 off the final price plus a deposit.

You might not have been denied by Capital One because of your credit score.

They simply are not lending in some areas.

I agree you could very well be right there. I'll patch up my score as best I can and get ready for round two with the credit union! What I really need is a decent APR and an option to make additional payments or pay it off early. Most seem to want to lock you into 36 months or 48 or 60.. etc

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Timeline
You will receive a letter from Capital One and indeed anyone else who has denied you credit stating why. With that report in hand you can get another free and up to date report from all 3 of the main CRA's and also the peripheral ones such as Lexis etc.

It may be that you have not enough history yet. Establishing credit is a chicken and egg situation.

Probably the easiest thing to do is have someone co sign with you. That way you get the loan and also have an account reporting which builds you history.

Yes capital one said they'd send that letter in the next 2 - 4 weeks telling me why I was denied. Well I know why I was denied I paid the $15 to see my actual credit score and it can only be my credit vs debt ratio which is now down to 0% debt lol that and like Rebeccajo said capital one may not be lending in this area. I know getting credit here is just as bad as it was back home when I hit 18 don't have it, can't get it but need it?

My history should be ok I've got 2.5 years and employment just as long. I'd have someone cosign but since I don't know anyone quite that well and the wife and I are split up I'm on my own for this mission! :blink:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought so too thought I was a perfect candidate? I've a stable job even in these times I make more than enough to pay off the car good enough credit rating. I think Rebeccajo is right I didn't know and applied with capital one which is still almost dying from it's own greed. I already know the make and model, done a test drive. I've been trying to play all the dealers I could find for about 50 miles around off each other which has taken them down from a starting price of about $16,900 (including everything) to $14,400 all in and out the door no more hidden fees. I had to get the full actual price down first they'd say anything to get you in the showroom then say but that's not including this, this and this. I'm also not trading in I'm selling my used car on the side of the road so that's about another $1,700 - $2,000 off the final price plus a deposit.

Well, I can almost guarantee you that many car dealerships would happily finance you on a car purchase. They only may be cautious about your credit history, but if you can, have your wife included on the loan application.

The best time to negotiate with a car salesman is at the end of the month, so maybe you should try within the next few days?

Here's some sound advice on how to negotiate.

Timeline

Well, I can almost guarantee you that many car dealerships would happily finance you on a car purchase. They only may be cautious about your credit history, but if you can, have your wife included on the loan application.

The best time to negotiate with a car salesman is at the end of the month, so maybe you should try within the next few days?

Here's some sound advice on how to negotiate.

Yes I've read the end of the month is a good time as is near the end of the year. I'm sure they are cautious about my credit history which is why I wanted to put down about 10% or 20% of the total cost up front leaving my loan a decent bit smaller. I'd take teh wife along and put her on the application but since I we're split up I doubt she'll want to buy a car lol

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16