vadood

Should the sponsor employment be full time?

11 posts in this topic

Timeline

hi everybody,

we are evaluating our financial status to see if we need a joint sponsor (for a K1 visa) or not. Currently I make slightly more than 125% poverty level, but my employment is not full time. Every letter from employer I see here in the forums or everywhere else has stated a full time employment status.

Are we ok if we just pass the minimum income requirement by a part time job or it is mandatory that the employment be full time?

hi everybody,

we are evaluating our financial status to see if we need a joint sponsor (for a K1 visa) or not. Currently I make slightly more than 125% poverty level, but my employment is not full time. Every letter from employer I see here in the forums or everywhere else has stated a full time employment status.

Are we ok if we just pass the minimum income requirement by a part time job or it is mandatory that the employment be full time?

First of all, if you make only slightly more than the 125% poverty level, you need to seriously consider a co-sponsor or using bank accounts and other assets to raise your total level. I see that your fiance is from Iran, so in all likelihood the consular officer will be looking for any red flag, no matter how small, to justify denying the visa.

Second, part-time employment is generally considered less secure than full-time. This is another possible red flag that may lead the CO to conclude that there's insufficient evidence that the public charge requirements will be met. Just my $0.02, but a co-sponsor sounds like a very good idea in your case.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I suggest getting a co-sponser. You have nothing to lose this way.

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

Marriage : 2008-07-12

I-130 Sent : 2008-09-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-02

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-20

NVC Received : 2009-01-25

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-01

Pay I-864 Bill : 2009-02-03

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-04

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-27

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-05

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-19

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-25

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-03-17

Packet 4 Received : 2009-03-24

Interview Date : 2009-05-19!!!!!!!!!!! Pray for a quick approval and no AP!!!

Visa in Hand: 2009-05-20!!! Thank you god! Now I wish he would just come to the US sooner... miss him...grrr.

Point of Entry: Chicago O'Hare Airport October , 16th 2009!!!

Timeline
I suggest getting a co-sponsor. You have nothing to lose this way.

Yes maybe you are right but we do not have any immediate family members in US. Parents live abroad and we do not want to ask friends to do this, at least with current economy situation. What if we deposit an amount of money in a bank account? Theoretically having 91060$ (5 x 18212$) should cover the poverty line even with no income. but i do not know embassy will look at this

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Do you have any assets? Like a home that you could add? On the I864, it says that "assets may supplement income if the consular or immigration officer is convinced that the monetary value of the asset can be converted into cash within one year without undo harm onto the sponsor and his or her family members." Another option is that if your spouse has any income that will continue even after her immigration, this can also be figured into the income as well. About having a joint sponsor, it also says that: "A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old,domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions,and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant." So if you even have family members that are not immediate, like an uncle, aunt, cousin, or even a really good friend that may understand your situation, you should be fine.

There are specific directions on how to use assets to supplement income on the I864 form. I honestly do not know if a lump sum of cash (the $91060 that you mention) counts as assets or not. You may want to call the NVC and ask about this--they are usually very helpful, and if the representative doesn't help, ask for a supervisor.

Good luck and keep us updated!

~M

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

Marriage : 2008-07-12

I-130 Sent : 2008-09-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-02

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-20

NVC Received : 2009-01-25

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-01

Pay I-864 Bill : 2009-02-03

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-04

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-27

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-05

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-19

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-25

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-03-17

Packet 4 Received : 2009-03-24

Interview Date : 2009-05-19!!!!!!!!!!! Pray for a quick approval and no AP!!!

Visa in Hand: 2009-05-20!!! Thank you god! Now I wish he would just come to the US sooner... miss him...grrr.

Point of Entry: Chicago O'Hare Airport October , 16th 2009!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
hi everybody,

Doesn't matter. You are employed and make enough. You could be unemployed and qulaify with assets. There is no requirement to be employed at all, though it is the most common and easiest way to do it. One could say I am "part time" also, if we count strictly hours worked, though such thing was never mentioned in my employer letter, only that the job was permanent. I make plenty, so no problem.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

hi everybody,

Doesn't matter. You are employed and make enough. You could be unemployed and qulaify with assets. There is no requirement to be employed at all, though it is the most common and easiest way to do it. One could say I am "part time" also, if we count strictly hours worked, though such thing was never mentioned in my employer letter, only that the job was permanent. I make plenty, so no problem.

The OP:

• Makes "slightly more" than 125% of the poverty guideline and says that they "just pass the minimum income requirement";
  • Has to deal with a difficult consulate;
  • Has a fiance from a country designated a "state sponsor of terror" by the State Department and will automatically be subjected to intense scrutiny.
In view of the totality of the facts, this advice seems cavalier.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes maybe you are right but we do not have any immediate family members in US. Parents live abroad and we do not want to ask friends to do this, at least with current economy situation. What if we deposit an amount of money in a bank account? Theoretically having 91060$ (5 x 18212$) should cover the poverty line even with no income. but i do not know embassy will look at this

The Consular officer will evaluate the totality of the circumstances. For a fiancee or spouse the ratio is 3/1 instead of 5/1. You need not have three times the income requirement unless there is no income. Some substantial cash in the petitioner's bank account will go a long way towards satisfying the public charge concern.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The Consular officer will evaluate the totality of the circumstances. For a fiancee or spouse the ratio is 3/1 instead of 5/1. You need not have three times the income requirement unless there is no income. Some substantial cash in the petitioner's bank account will go a long way towards satisfying the public charge concern.

good news for us to hear. how can I officially verify if the ratio is 3 (i.e. we will need 3 times the income) for the K1?

Also I wonder why do they not accept alien finac(e)'s assets, assuming that the couple are going to marry and share everything.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

good news for us to hear. how can I officially verify if the ratio is 3 (i.e. we will need 3 times the income) for the K1?

Also I wonder why do they not accept alien finac(e)'s assets, assuming that the couple are going to marry and share everything.

I believe your confirmation is on the instructions for the I-864 you'll file after marriage. They will consider any financial information provided in order to evaluate the public charge issue.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Timeline
hi everybody,

The OP:

• Makes "slightly more" than 125% of the poverty guideline and says that they "just pass the minimum income requirement";
  • Has to deal with a difficult consulate;
  • Has a fiance from a country designated a "state sponsor of terror" by the State Department and will automatically be subjected to intense scrutiny.
In view of the totality of the facts, this advice seems cavalier.

The onus is on the applicant to discover through anecdotal evidence what the typical financial requirements are for their consulate.

Not all part time jobs pay ####### wages, and many part time jobs are permanent part-time - ie less than forty hours per week.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.