clueless_in_usa

Behavior you (USC man) find odd

207 posts in this topic

Getting back to the original topic, my fiancee asked me the other day why we have to plan so many things, instead of being more spontaneous, like "Russian people."

She had the reality check one day we were on the street and she proposed going somewhere else, like the theater, but I told her that we had to plan in advance because tickets were already sold out.

Why is it so difficult for "them" to think of a necessary plan, given that in the USA you pay a steep price if you live everyday without the proper plan?

I have the opposite situation. I seldom plan anything, and prefer to just "go when we feel like it, and do whatever we want". Vika prefers to plan everything in advance, and really wants to know what the entire plan is in advance. I guess opposites do attract :innocent:

This must be a Russian/Ukrainian difference! My wife plans everything and it is like planning a mission to the moon! I have exactly the opposite impression...maybe she needs a trip to Dr. Finetush to adjust her fratastat or something!

Exactly! :lol: And even when I am tasked with the planning she gets in the middle of things. I constantly ask why I am planning it, because as soon as I share the plan, she finds fault with it and starts changing everything. Then she keeps asking me why I can't stop laughing!

Here's a good one of cultural differences...

I was traveling to Ukraine a lot and always bringing gifts. So ofcourse I have to bring some Vermont Maple Syrup. Alla, like most RUB women is against "chemical" food. But she was able to understand it was pure syrup, no added nothing, just boiled sap. Ok so she tries it, she likes it and uses it for her coffee, and even adds it to her cereal...a sugur substitute about like honey. Her mom has none of this, will not touch it and is sure it is a capitalist chemical concoction. We try to explain but no, she KNOWS it is made from coffee and chemicals :wacko:

Anyway, next trip, Alla says brinf two quarts, not one. OK, I guess you like the syrup? Maybe the boys are eating it all up, they eat like wolves anyway. So then she says bring a gallon on the next trip! Huh?

Then one morning she catches Mamishka drinking a GLASS of maple syrup! Turns out it IS natural and "good for the stomach!" LOL So it is always taking up a lot of weight in our suitcase when we visit.

Vika eats honey by the spoon too. Good for the digestion and health she says.

This week I had an argument with my fiancee because of Russian customs ...

... I told her: "soon you will be included in my insurance and we will make appointments for you to go to the dentist and the doctor as soon as possible"

Her response:

"I do not need to go to the doctor because I am not sick" And "I will not go to the dentist because my teeth are OK. They do not hurt. I will go if they hurt!"

Is this a Russian thing too?

Somehow I will make her go to both. :devil:

Yes it is :lol: Good luck!

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Getting back to the original topic, my fiancee asked me the other day why we have to plan so many things, instead of being more spontaneous, like "Russian people."

She had the reality check one day we were on the street and she proposed going somewhere else, like the theater, but I told her that we had to plan in advance because tickets were already sold out.

Why is it so difficult for "them" to think of a necessary plan, given that in the USA you pay a steep price if you live everyday without the proper plan?

I have the opposite situation. I seldom plan anything, and prefer to just "go when we feel like it, and do whatever we want". Vika prefers to plan everything in advance, and really wants to know what the entire plan is in advance. I guess opposites do attract :innocent:

This must be a Russian/Ukrainian difference! My wife plans everything and it is like planning a mission to the moon! I have exactly the opposite impression...maybe she needs a trip to Dr. Finetush to adjust her fratastat or something!

Exactly! :lol: And even when I am tasked with the planning she gets in the middle of things. I constantly ask why I am planning it, because as soon as I share the plan, she finds fault with it and starts changing everything. Then she keeps asking me why I can't stop laughing!

Here's a good one of cultural differences...

I was traveling to Ukraine a lot and always bringing gifts. So ofcourse I have to bring some Vermont Maple Syrup. Alla, like most RUB women is against "chemical" food. But she was able to understand it was pure syrup, no added nothing, just boiled sap. Ok so she tries it, she likes it and uses it for her coffee, and even adds it to her cereal...a sugur substitute about like honey. Her mom has none of this, will not touch it and is sure it is a capitalist chemical concoction. We try to explain but no, she KNOWS it is made from coffee and chemicals :wacko:

Anyway, next trip, Alla says brinf two quarts, not one. OK, I guess you like the syrup? Maybe the boys are eating it all up, they eat like wolves anyway. So then she says bring a gallon on the next trip! Huh?

Then one morning she catches Mamishka drinking a GLASS of maple syrup! Turns out it IS natural and "good for the stomach!" LOL So it is always taking up a lot of weight in our suitcase when we visit.

Vika eats honey by the spoon too. Good for the digestion and health she says.

This week I had an argument with my fiancee because of Russian customs ...

... I told her: "soon you will be included in my insurance and we will make appointments for you to go to the dentist and the doctor as soon as possible"

Her response:

"I do not need to go to the doctor because I am not sick" And "I will not go to the dentist because my teeth are OK. They do not hurt. I will go if they hurt!"

Is this a Russian thing too?

Somehow I will make her go to both. :devil:

Yes it is :lol: Good luck!

I see we are :ot2: LOL

Alla also eats honey with a spoon, boils condensed milk in the can, then eats it with a spoon for dessert! Puts that stinky fish on everything, potatoes, peas Ackkkkkkk. The other night she comes home after a hard day at school and shopping and tells me to sit with her while she eats dinner, fine, nice way to spend some time, sit at the table with your lovely wife and talk about our day...then she breaks out the stinky fish!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

then she breaks out the stinky fish!

Then I'd pour myself a glass of cognac and light up a big stoggie!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline
then she breaks out the stinky fish!

Then I'd pour myself a glass of cognac and light up a big stoggie!

:lol: Good point! I have a humidor full of fragrant (as opposed to stinky) cigars! Have you ever thought of being a marriage counselor????????

Gary And Alla

Timeline

How many pots, pans, bowls, spoons, mixers, spatulas and measuring cups does it take a Russian woman to bake a cake (answer below)

ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Continuing on the subject on cultural differences and some life facts:

1. Russians wear wedding bands on the right hand,

2. Flowers are given in odd numbers (even are for deceased),

3. Russian women retire at 55, and men at 60; however, average man's life expectancy is 59.

to be continued

Timeline

Wife gets here on Tuesday. I've been lurking here for quite a while, but never really posted unless I had a major problem.

I'm actually looking FORWARD to the little idiosyncrasies and the like. I made a promise to myself that if she ever did anything that frays my nerves or annoys me, that I would remember that we've spent FOURTEEN MONTHS to get her over here... and that any day that she drives me crazy is better than any day where she isn't here with me...

Just putting a thing into some perspective.

My timeline:

07/04/2007: Met in Myrtle Beach, SC

08/24/2007: Said goodbye in Myrtle Beach

09/06/2007: I deploy to Iraq & she returns to Russia

01/20/2008: I propose via webcam from Iraq

04/14/2008: I return from Iraq

07/24/2008: In Moscow to get married

08/12/2008: Married in Russia

09/02/2008: I-130 Sent

09/07/2008: I-130 Received @ Vermont Service Center

09/11/2008: NOA-1

03/24/2009: I-130 & K-3 APPROVED!!! Received update via email.

NVC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
How many pots, pans, bowls, spoons, mixers, spatulas and measuring cups does it take a Russian woman to bake a cake (answer below)

ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is very true. But it also means that if she doesn't have them, she'll make the cake without them.

AngryTexan, I think we all enjoy the idiosyncracies. That's kind of the spirit of this thread, at least for me. It's not, Russian spouse bashing; we all chose to marry them and did our fair share of waiting. This thread is about the weird things our wives do that we think are really endearing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I think we all enjoy the idiosyncracies. That's kind of the spirit of this thread, at least for me. It's not, Russian spouse bashing; we all chose to marry them and did our fair share of waiting. This thread is about the weird things our wives do that we think are really endearing.

I'll second that for sure. While I can't call Anna my spouse yet, we've spent enough time living together that I whole heartedly get the hint on how she'll be as a spouse, and I also know I wouldn't change it for the world!

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Most of the "odd things" my wife does are in the positive direction. Like putting on my socks, helping me dress, and helping me put on my shoes when i leave the house. Insisting on carrying the heavy grocery bags. And never ever being difficult about sex or playing power and control games. And doing ALL the housework and bringing my meals to me so I can watch TV as I eat (as with Sunday football games). I am living out the "best case scenario" that the Russian dating sites profess as the typical Russian bride. Well, gentlemen, I could be their poster boy. I can give testimony.

The odd thing in Russian life is Russian men seem to act more like American women when it comes to sex. With everything stacked in their favor, Russian men are the ones more apt to pass on sex due to various reasons. It is the Russian women who end of begging for sex and feeling the sting of rejection. And the Russian men are the ones who pick and choose their mates. I've known a number Russian women and they all complained about Russian husbands or boyfriends not wanting sex or having performance issues. "Not tonight honey, I have a headache."

Just to show the other side, my wife does not like whistling in the house. I think she sometimes leaves food items out too long before returning them to the frig. Some things we Americans refrigerate, she does not. Some things we Americans do refrigerate, she does not.

But, overall, she does not bring a lot of Russian nuttiness into our life. She's even gotten used to iced drinks.

Timeline

I get yelled at for whistling in the house too. Apparently, it's bad luck and means you're going to lose your money. (I guess if you're that carefree you're not watching your money close enough). Oleksandra has more superstitions than I can shake a stick at. If I'm watching TV, she won't step over my legs...some sort of bad thing. There must be at least 50 similar circumstances. I don't mind any of them. Usually if she's acting odd about something I'll just say...this is one of those Ukranian things isn't it? And she'll laugh and say yes. I'm actually a little sad to see her improving her English so much, as I always loved her accent and own way of saying things!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: Timeline

3. Russian women retire at 55, and men at 60; however, average man's life expectancy is 59.

to be continued

Isn't the ring on the right hand only if you are Russian Orthodox? I know someone that lives in the states and both are American. They recently got married and his band is on his right hand. I asked if he was Russian or what and he said, no, that it is their religion, which is Orthodox. So, just wanting to know if it is the religion or a Russian thing.

Timeline
I get yelled at for whistling in the house too. Apparently, it's bad luck and means you're going to lose your money. (I guess if you're that carefree you're not watching your money close enough). Oleksandra has more superstitions than I can shake a stick at. If I'm watching TV, she won't step over my legs...some sort of bad thing. There must be at least 50 similar circumstances. I don't mind any of them. Usually if she's acting odd about something I'll just say...this is one of those Ukranian things isn't it? And she'll laugh and say yes. I'm actually a little sad to see her improving her English so much, as I always loved her accent and own way of saying things!

The accent (super HOT) will never go away completely. Alla counts among her friends here Russian women that have been here 20+ years and still have an accent, including one that moved here when she was 7 years old.

we keep some of Alla's "allaisms" My favorite is "lub". The first time we went shopping for groceries she was (of course) confused by everything, the prices etc. So she explores a little on her own while I was filling the cart and came back with something, I really don't remember what, and asked if the price of $1.69 per "lub" was good. LOL "Lub?" Yes, "Lb"...Lub. Thats the abbreviation for pound, sweetheart. She is still mumbling mild Russian expetives on why crazy Americans would use "Lb." when NEITHER letter is in the word pound! Anyway, we started calling them "lubs" among ourselves.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

to be continued

Isn't the ring on the right hand only if you are Russian Orthodox? I know someone that lives in the states and both are American. They recently got married and his band is on his right hand. I asked if he was Russian or what and he said, no, that it is their religion, which is Orthodox. So, just wanting to know if it is the religion or a Russian thing.

both

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

to be continued

Ukrainians also wear it on the right hand and I never heard it was an Orthodox thing. Alla wears hers on the right hand and she is not at all religious (I suddenly become religious when she drives though!) We also friends, an American/Polish couple and the woman wears her ring on the right hand ans she is Cathoilc. I always thought it was a European or eastern European thing

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.