Matt_Stevens

Ten year Green Card trouble: Our evidence is "insufficient."

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

OK, this is just nuts. Up to this point everything had been so easy, so I guess it was only a matter of time before we were hit with the whip.

We filed the I751 earlier this year with all the evidence we could give them. But we just received a form stating our evidence was insufficient and that we have to send more to be processed.

What more could we send? We have sent them every possible piece of evidence asked for that we had.

They list a number of items they want, most of which we have already sent them.

Joint tax returns, Leases for our apartments in both our names, joint health insurance, joint renters insurance, joint bank accounts, joint utilities, bla bla blah.

But things they list they want we do not have.

We do not own a home.

We do not jointly own a car because Anh doesn't drive. She has no license. So how can I list her on my car insurance?

We have no kids so how can we provide birth certificates for kids that do not exist?

We do not have any loans together.

They ask for copies of our lease(s) but we provided them already!

They want affidavits written by thirds parties, but we already gave them three! All three were very clearly written and properly done.

Since late winter this year things for us have been very bad. I lost my job and we had to move from our lovely apartment to a craphole in the wall we sublet, so we have no actual lease or utilities in our own name. No renters insurance either. This all happened just prior to filing, so at the time was not an issue.

But what to do now? Honestly, there is nothing else whatsoever we can provide to them. We have already provided every piece of evidence we have. #######?!

We had zero trouble with the interview process in Saigon and you all know how crazy they are. My wife spent a lot of time in Europe and Japan, so she was well traveled and an educated girl. Since coming here she has done very well and has a pretty darned good job in NYC, which she loves. But since late winter we have been subletting and have nothing in our name. No lease, no utilities at all. Yes, we have our bank account and a savings account and our health insurance.

What should we do? Our marriage is not bull----. I can't begin to describe how angry I am at this moment.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sorry it happened to you, I hate nothing more then bureaucrats and this is just one of their ways. If I were you I would resend them what they asked for specifically, include a cover letter and a copy of their RFE, also in the cover letter let them know what the situation is, that you both had to move due to the economy but still living happily together. Include some new pictures of you together in the new place and get a few more affidavits and include the copies of the old ones. You can't do more then that really, just give them what they want and hope that they don't lose it again, since that's probably what happened to the first set of documents you sent them since they are asking you for the same things again.

Good luck!

Mike.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Send everything again, I assume you made an extra copy for just such an occaision. Add more photos, more affidavits. Beyond that there is not much you can do at this stage. Good luck.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

I agree with all of the replies, but you can also send a affidavit from the person you are subletting from confirming your statement. Also, if you have updated evidence, send that too. What I mean is, you send your joint banking info from the period of marriage up until filing ... so don't be afraid to send in another statement which you received between filing and now.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not to upset you more, but sounds like USCIS has lost or misplaced your file or application and supporting documents that you already sent to them and so to cover their a$$ they send you a RFE and tell you that you did not send them enough evidence and basically they are asking for everything you already sent in the first time, I have noticed this has happened from time to time with USCIS. And 100% of the time when you just send back in copies of everything that you already sent in again, it gets soon approved. Hopefully you made copies of everything you mailed in the first time, just mail it back to them with the RFE and to the address they request and if you happen to notice anything else they request that you can send again or did not get a chance to submit last time then send it in also, I am sure you will get approved soon after that. Sorry for the bad news. As a last resort you might go to your US House of Rep local office near you or your US Senator office and ask their staff for help and that you want to file a congressional inquiry into this matter with USCIS and everytime the politician office helps from what I have seen, cause within 48 hours of filing that inquiry USCIS has to respond or reply to that politicians office as to why or what is going on or what is the hold up specifically. AND normally the USCIS workers or bosses get a congressional in their office and that case gets #1 priority and pushed to the front immediately to be worked and problem resolved. Most Congressman office will not do this until it has been past 3 months after you file before they inquiry on your behalf though. Good luck. :unsure:

OK, this is just nuts. Up to this point everything had been so easy, so I guess it was only a matter of time before we were hit with the whip.

We filed the I751 earlier this year with all the evidence we could give them. But we just received a form stating our evidence was insufficient and that we have to send more to be processed.

What more could we send? We have sent them every possible piece of evidence asked for that we had.

Joint tax returns, Leases for our apartments in both our names, joint health insurance, joint renters insurance, joint bank accounts, joint utilities, bla bla blah.

We do not own a home.

We do not jointly own a car because Anh doesn't drive. She has no license. So how can I list her on my car insurance?

We have no kids so how can we provide birth certificates for kids that do not exist?

They want affidavits written by thirds parties, but we already gave them three! All three were very clearly written and properly done.

Since late winter this year things for us have been very bad. I lost my job and we had to move from our lovely apartment to a craphole in the wall we sublet, so we have no actual lease or utilities in our own name. No renters insurance either. This all happened just prior to filing, so at the time was not an issue.

But what to do now? Honestly, there is nothing else whatsoever we can provide to them. We have already provided every piece of evidence we have. #######?!

We had zero trouble with the interview process in Saigon and you all know how crazy they are. My wife spent a lot of time in Europe and Japan, so she was well traveled and an educated girl. Since coming here she has done very well and has a pretty darned good job in NYC, which she loves. But since late winter we have been subletting and have nothing in our name. No lease, no utilities at all. Yes, we have our bank account and a savings account and our health insurance.

What should we do? Our marriage is not bull----. I can't begin to describe how angry I am at this moment.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Congress or senator help does not usually occur until your case is outside 'normal processing times' which is NOT 3 months. Its more like 6 months.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Sorry to say but you are incorrect, it is 3 months and I know from personal experience talking to a USCIS case worker and other VJ members that have done this. :whistle:

Congress or senator help does not usually occur until your case is outside 'normal processing times' which is NOT 3 months. Its more like 6 months.

Sorry to say but you are incorrect, it is 3 months and I know from personal experience talking to a USCIS case worker and other VJ members that have done this. :whistle:

It depends on where you file... right now, VSC is processing in 6 months.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Other Timeline

You sent them more than I have. I, too, believe, it's a hiccup in the system. Somebody lost something or didn't look closely enough or had a bad day.

Here's my suggestion:

Start with a cover letter describing yourselves. We met . . . got engaged . . . married . . . been living together. My wife doesn't have a driver's license, so she doesn't drive.

Sent all of the documents you sent before again.

Add a few photos. You should be fine.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I am wondering if the primary reason is that we have no proof of a place we rented for the first year she was here. We rented from family, in cash, so it was just a verbal agreement. Well, there is no way around that. It was what it was. We have bank records with that address, so we can easily show we were living there. I am just perplexed. We sent all that in.

First of all, why can't we edit past a few minutes? Now I have to make another post. :huh:

I just called and talked to USCIS and they were ZERO help. None. She just kept reading canned responses.

So should I make an appointment through info-pass? If I see a local agent can they find out what the heck the problem is and then allow me to address it? Or will it just be another waste of time.

https://infopass.uscis.gov/infopass.php

Of course, in looking at that website I might not even qualify to make an appointment. They list four reasons and I am none of them.

Edited by Matt_Stevens

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We do not own a home.

You mentioned joint loans... Maybe you could consider getting a small loan in both your names that you can easily pay back (even if you end up paying some interest it could still be worth it if it's the extra evidence they need) Just a thought :thumbs:

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

The letter actually states, in bold: Do not send copies of documents previously submitted. Well, #######?! What else can I send? I might be able to find maybe one or two additional pieces of evidence to send, but that is it. If this thing is telling me not to submit stuff I sent prior, then they have not lost anything and want new evidence.

Here is a scan of the first page, with the name and other private stuff blacked out...

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8529/i797.jpg

We originally sent:

Photos of wedding, vacations, trips, family gatherings, etc.

Stuff with joint names:

Copies of lease for apartment in Brooklyn

Same for apartment in Queens

Copy of renters policy

Copy of our health insurance

Copy of bank statements from Wachovia and Citibank

Copy of our cable bill in Queens

Copy of our Verizon Wireless plan

Three affidavits

Marriage certificate

I am sure there is more, but I do not recall off the top of my head.

Edited by Matt_Stevens

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.