RUSSandRACHEL

Error on VJ AOS Guide - Fees

14 posts in this topic

Even though we're still waiting on the NOA2 for the K1 visa, we have decided to organise together the forms needed for the Embassy interview and also for AOS. AOS in particular, is turning out to be a lot more complicated than filing the I-129F.

I have found out alot of info, so far, that contradicts each other. For example - I always thought that when filing AOS after getting married you send the I-485 form with the fee of $1010. I was under the impression that in addition to that, if you want to apply for an Employment authorisation and Advanced Parole to allow you to travel in the meantime of processing, there were two additional fees for each of those extra forms aswell. Even on the VJ Step-by-Step Guide on How to File for Adjustment of Status for K1 Visa Holders, it says on steps 13 & 14, "Include any additional required supporting documentation or photos as well as payment as noted here", and then theres a link.

However, I found out this piece of info on the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=73ddd59cb7a5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=7d316c0b4c3bf110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

"If you filed a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, on July 30, 2007, or after, and you paid the I-485 application fee required, then no fee is required to file a request for employment authorization on Form I-765. You may file the I-765 concurrently with your I-485, or you may submit the I-765 at a later date. If you file Form I-765 separately, you must also submit a copy of your Form I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485."

Does this mean that I don't have to pay anything other than the $1010, even if I still want to file for EAD & AP at the same time as AOS?

Help is greatly appreciated!! :thumbs:

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

There's no error. You missed #1 on the guide:

1. Payment(s) as required by USCIS. Be sure to include the payment for both the I-485 and the biometrics fee*. Use a money order so you can track the payment. If a personal check is allowed, use that instead.

>> The fee for I-485 applications filed on or after July 30th 2007 inlcudes the cost of the I-131 and I-765 (no need to pay for them if filed with or while your I-485 application is pending adjudication -- as long as you paid the "new" rate for the I-485 effective July 30th 2007).

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Even though we're still waiting on the NOA2 for the K1 visa, we have decided to organise together the forms needed for the Embassy interview and also for AOS. AOS in particular, is turning out to be a lot more complicated than filing the I-129F.

I have found out alot of info, so far, that contradicts each other. For example - I always thought that when filing AOS after getting married you send the I-485 form with the fee of $1010. I was under the impression that in addition to that, if you want to apply for an Employment authorisation and Advanced Parole to allow you to travel in the meantime of processing, there were two additional fees for each of those extra forms aswell. Even on the VJ Step-by-Step Guide on How to File for Adjustment of Status for K1 Visa Holders, it says on steps 13 & 14, "Include any additional required supporting documentation or photos as well as payment as noted here", and then theres a link.

However, I found out this piece of info on the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=73ddd59cb7a5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=7d316c0b4c3bf110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

"If you filed a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, on July 30, 2007, or after, and you paid the I-485 application fee required, then no fee is required to file a request for employment authorization on Form I-765. You may file the I-765 concurrently with your I-485, or you may submit the I-765 at a later date. If you file Form I-765 separately, you must also submit a copy of your Form I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485."

Does this mean that I don't have to pay anything other than the $1010, even if I still want to file for EAD & AP at the same time as AOS?

"Does this mean that I don't have to pay anything other than the $1010, even if I still want to file for EAD & AP at the same time as AOS?

Yep! No need pay extra for the EAD and AP.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

There's no error. You missed #1 on the guide:

1. Payment(s) as required by USCIS. Be sure to include the payment for both the I-485 and the biometrics fee*. Use a money order so you can track the payment. If a personal check is allowed, use that instead.

>> The fee for I-485 applications filed on or after July 30th 2007 inlcudes the cost of the I-131 and I-765 (no need to pay for them if filed with or while your I-485 application is pending adjudication -- as long as you paid the "new" rate for the I-485 effective July 30th 2007).

Thank you Stephen + Elisha. I see, you're right at the first part. But even still, VJ should alter the latter part on points 13 & 14 where it mentions additional fees. If anyone is following the AOS guide, no-one would need to send money for additional fees anyway, so that extra small mention doesnt need to be on there. Thanks for your help and pointing the other bit out

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No other fees are required if filed with your I-485

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

No other fees are required if filed with your I-485

Or afterward, if you include a copy of your I-485 receipt notice (NOA1).

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

thats great!!! i also thought the ead and ap was additional.......good to know..

06/12/2012 I-751 package sent

06/14/2012 I-751 package delivered

06/19/2012 Check Cashed

06/20/2012 NOA received(dated 06/15/2012)

07/06/2012 NOA Biometrics letter(dated 7/3/2012)

07/18/2012 Biometrics Done (only on Husband)

02/21/2013 Email received-card in production

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If I file the I-485 (I am a K1 visa) and include the check of $1010 I can send together the EAD and AP documents without paying the extra fee?

Please let me know if it's correct.

correct

YMMV

In our day, you could choose which items you wanted to apply for when doing AOS, EAD and AP were all separate, each with separate fee's and you could save some cash by simply choosing AOS only.

Those days are gone, and you now pay a single fee which covers all three.

However, I would add as a reminder, don't use the fee schedule on the VJ guides for anything. Always consult the USCIS website before any filing. Fee's change, and sometimes they become out of date on the guides.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

get a lawyer so much easier

get a lawyer so much easier

:rofl: I'd rather save the $3000. I have not spent on a lawyer during this process.

Edited by thepizzadude

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.