nora_g

fired from work

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

my usc husband was fired from work,how are we going to apply for aos?i arrived via K1 visa.can we apply for aos?and if he doesnt have a job,are we going to be denied?thanks for the helpful tips you guys will be giving me

Edited by nora_g

Filed: Timeline
my usc husband was fired from work,how are we going to apply for aos?i arrived via K1 visa.can we apply for aos?and if he doesnt have a job,are we going to be denied?thanks for the helpful tips you guys will be giving me

Was he fired, or laid off? If he was laid off, he is entitled to unemployment benefits. Time to find another job. You can also apply for an EAD with your AOS application, and get a job. Look to your husband's family, to see if they could give you the support you need to file for the AOS as sponsors.

:time:

Edited by Mister_Bill

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If he was fired or laid off, he can still file AOS.

JNR

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband was laid-off too before we apply for AOS but the process went smoothly and without interview. maybe he can find a job while you're in the process of AOS. Goodluck!

MY TIMELINE

K-1 Journey

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Singapore

05/21/07 : I-129F Sent

02/24/08 : INTERVIEW

12/12/07 : MEDICAL

01/09/08 : VISA IN HAND

03/06/08 : Arrive in the US, POE - DETROIT

AOS

03/28/08 : Mailed AOS Packet

04/12/08 : Receive NOA's AP, EAD

05/02/08 : BIOMETRICS

06/11/08 : EAD CARD IN THE MAIL!!!

07/02/08 : GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

07/07/08 : GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL & WORKING

03/27/09 : Driver's License issued

Removing Condition

04/03/10 : mailed to Vermont

04/08/10 : NOA1 & 1 yr extension

05/20/10 : Biometrics Appt.

11/19/10 : Interview/Approval

Timeline

but then letter of employent is needed and copies of pay stubs right?so if we file for an aos and we dont have the documents they're asking i.e. proofs of employment,then what hapens?thanks for the reply by the way.i appreciate it

Timeline

but then letter of employent is needed and copies of pay stubs right?so if we file for an aos and we dont have the documents they're asking i.e. proofs of employment,then what hapens?thanks for the reply by the way.i appreciate it

If you still have the Letter of Employment that you had from filing your K1 you may use it to support so with the latest pay stub from his previous (company he was recently laid-off). Just hope & pray that you won't have any interview to make it more easier for both of you!

MY TIMELINE

K-1 Journey

AOS

Removing Condition

Timeline

If you still have the Letter of Employment that you had from filing your K1 you may use it to support so with the latest pay stub from his previous (company he was recently laid-off). Just hope & pray that you won't have any interview to make it more easier for both of you!

Timeline

won't the uscis goin to call the employer and verify?thanks

Timeline

My husband was laid off by the time we submitted the papers for my AOS until we had the interview. Immigration officer didn't even bother to ask about the situation of our financial during the interview. I had a co sponsor though.. my mother in law. I suggest you go ahead and apply and look for any family member who can be a co sponsor. If he was laid off you can also use the checks he is receiving from unemployment as proof. That's what we did. Good luck to you! Be sure to apply EAD so you can also work while waiting for GC.

Vida Taylor

Timeline
My husband was laid off by the time we submitted the papers for my AOS until we had the interview. Immigration officer didn't even bother to ask about the situation of our financial during the interview. I had a co sponsor though.. my mother in law. I suggest you go ahead and apply and look for any family member who can be a co sponsor. If he was laid off you can also use the checks he is receiving from unemployment as proof. That's what we did. Good luck to you! Be sure to apply EAD so you can also work while waiting for GC.

Vida Taylor

thank you all for your responses.how long does it usually take for an ead to be released?is it advisable to apply for ead separately with the aos application?

Timeline

You may or you may not apply for EAD. Once you get your GC you can work legally. For me it's just a waste of additional fee because I got my EAD two weeks before I received my GC but if you want to make it sure that you might receive the GC at a very later date then file for EAD as well.

MY TIMELINE

K-1 Journey

AOS

Removing Condition

Filed: Timeline

Vida Taylor

thank you all for your responses.how long does it usually take for an ead to be released?is it advisable to apply for ead separately with the aos application?

You can only file for an EAD with your AOS application. There is no extra fee for the EAD once you file the I-485.

If you filed a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, on July 30, 2007, or after, and you paid the I-485 application fee required, then no fee is required to file a request for employment authorization on Form I-765. You may file the I-765 concurrently with your I-485, or you may submit the I-765 at a later date. If you file Form I-765 separately, you must also submit a copy of your Form I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Edited by Mister_Bill

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.