justashooter

Canadian Gov't appeals decision -

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8237418.stm

Canada's government has launched an appeal against the granting of refugee status to a white South African man after protests from Pretoria.

The decision was branded "racist" by South Africa's ruling African National Congress party.

Brandon Huntley, 31, said he had been the victim of seven attacks, including three stabbings, which he said were racially motivated.

Race remains sensitive in South Africa 15 years after the end of apartheid.

Hundreds of thousands of white South Africans have left the country since the end of apartheid, many citing rising crime and the difficulty of finding jobs.

ANC spokesman Brian Sokutu told the BBC that the case had tarnished South Africa's image.

SOUTH AFRICA'S RACIAL GROUPS

Black: 80%

White: 9%

Coloured (Mixed race): 9%

Asian: 2%

Rainbow nation - dream or reality?

Canada's federal citizenship and immigration department is seeking leave to challenge the decision in the Federal Court.

"The government felt that because this is a fairly unique claim, it's something we felt would be wise to put before a higher authority," said Alykhan Velshi, a spokesman for Immigration Minister Jason Kenney.

The decision was granted last week by an independent panel - the Immigration and Refugee Board.

Mr Huntley's lawyer said he had been granted asylum because the South African authorities were unable to protect their citizens.

'Sore thumb'

Mr Sokutu said President Jacob Zuma was committed to fighting crime in South Africa, which has an annual murder rate of 18,000, but not on the basis of colour.

South African views on the Brandon Huntley race row

In pictures

"We're committed to creating a stable and safe environment for all South Africans, regardless of the colour of their skin and we think that dealing with crime along racial lines can only serve to divide the South African nation," he told the BBC's World Today programme.

Canada's Ottawa Sun newspaper quoted the IRB chairman William Davis as saying Mr Huntley would stand out like a "sore thumb" due to his colour in any part of South Africa.

Mr Huntley's lawyer Russell Kaplan said the asylum was granted because of discrimination - not only over crime - but also because as a white man he would find it difficult to get a job.

"The big question throughout was - was this just an act of criminality or was there a racial motivation? And every single time there was evidence that they were not just victims of criminality, that there was a racial component in the incidents," he told the BBC's Network Africa programme.

On the streets of Johannesburg, opinions were mixed about the case.

"Thugs attack you because they believe you have something they want," said Diketso Lekhelebane.

"There is still the perception that white people have money all the time maybe that's why he was targeted."

"As a white South African I understand and support the basis for affirmative action but as a mother of three I'm concerned about my children's future and what kind of jobs they will get," university lecturer Tracey McKay told the BBC.

White people still dominate Africa's biggest economy, with average living standards far higher than for other racial groups.

But some complain they are being deprived of jobs by the government's black affirmative action programme.

The government says this is needed to help the black majority recover from years of discrimination during apartheid.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Won't allow? They already have - the case is now at appeal. I am sure no one expects South Africa to solve all its problems with a sweep of the hand - centuries of poverty abuse and corruption are not easy to wipe away.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting article - I found your original title to be most inaccurate and deliberately provocative - so I edited it for accuracy :)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8237418.stm

Canada's government has launched an appeal against the granting of refugee status to a white South African man after protests from Pretoria.

The decision was branded "racist" by South Africa's ruling African National Congress party.

Brandon Huntley, 31, said he had been the victim of seven attacks, including three stabbings, which he said were racially motivated.

Race remains sensitive in South Africa 15 years after the end of apartheid.

Hundreds of thousands of white South Africans have left the country since the end of apartheid, many citing rising crime and the difficulty of finding jobs.

ANC spokesman Brian Sokutu told the BBC that the case had tarnished South Africa's image.

"The big question throughout was - was this just an act of criminality or was there a racial motivation? And every single time there was evidence that they were not just victims of criminality, that there was a racial component in the incidents," he told the BBC's Network Africa programme.

what you sow huh. years of doing just this to the black /coloured south africans has now come back to roost. If you rule with violence for a few hundred years.....

it just cracks me up when you meet these white south africans in london, and they start whining about how great south africa was before aparthied ended, or conversely, how terrible racism is blah blah blah de blah. but it was ok when you , mummy and daddy were living off the fat of the land right.....

4650093_bodyshot_300x400_1285472169089.gif

Timeline

maybe i was a bit harsh. but no one deserves to be stabbed regardless..... u just hope that the situation can be resolved with so much bad blood in the water.

sorry if it sounded hard

Racists can be any color.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Racists can be any color.

That is a lie. Only Caucasians are racist.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

I am going to say this since I have always been one for calling a spade s spade.

It's just a funny coincidence that country after country that was in pristine condition prior to being handed back, has turned to ######. Just saying..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Pristine condition? I am not sure what is pristine about 5% of a population owning 95% of the wealth of the nation. Perhaps you can explain that one BY?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Won't allow? They already have - the case is now at appeal. I am sure no one expects South Africa to solve all its problems with a sweep of the hand - centuries of poverty abuse and corruption are not easy to wipe away.

Corruption by who? Who is currently in charge or better yet fueling the corruption?

The reality is that when you oppress a section of society for decades/centuries the legacy can't be instantly forgotten nor can the unfairnesses be simply equalized from one day to the next as if by magic.

Pristine condition? I am not sure what is pristine about 5% of a population owning 95% of the wealth of the nation. Perhaps you can explain that one BY?

Pristine as in a aesthetically nice condition with a growing economy.

You cannot blame their current perils on the Caucasian for ever.

Corruption by who? Who is currently in charge or better yet fueling the corruption?

As I said, the unfairness, the inequality of wealth distribution can not be magically wished away. It's not a simple picture, suddenly the black population has a stake in government and problems go away, it doesn't work like that, at all.

Pristine as in a aesthetically nice condition with a growing economy.

You cannot blame their current perils on the Caucasian for ever.

You can't imagine that once the black people get a stake in the government of their country that problems built over centuries just disappear, just like that, can you?

The reality is that when you oppress a section of society for decades/centuries the legacy can't be instantly forgotten nor can the unfairnesses be simply equalized from one day to the next as if by magic.

What are you implying by that? That because they were oppressed, they are not capable of progressing themselves.

Their future is in their hands. I was shocked to see the other day that countries like Nigeria have 154,729,000 people. That is half the US yet are dirt poor. So should they just continue to have kids, then put their hand out and cry poor for us to give them money? Ethiopia has another 79,221,000.

You can't imagine that once the black people get a stake in the government of their country that problems built over centuries just disappear, just like that, can you?

Your not getting it. If someone was to give me Exxon and I drive it into the ground, whose fault would it be? Why act as if they looted these countries and left them with nothing.

Timeline
I am going to say this since I have always been one for calling a spade s spade.

It's just a funny coincidence that country after country that was in pristine condition prior to being handed back, has turned to ######. Just saying..

did you just use the n word to make a point?